ZMF Pendant - Tube Headphone Amplifier - Official Thread

I would not but I bet you could get it smelling alright with some time and effort. Sure there is no damage but just a poor smell that will go away to a degree.

Also you can smoke some herb or light some incense to mask the bad smell.

Ya, probably should leave it alone. 1600 when the retail is 2000, they pay shipping and PayPal fees. I’m a nut job that if i bought from zmf, i would add all the options on it and walk away with a 3200 bill

1 Like

This is the strong point with the Pendant as I am learning those days: changing the gain by changing between 12au7, 12ax7 and 12at7 accordingly with power needs and background noise floor desired.
This and the sound signature is making the Pendant rise in my whish list to number one vs other Justin designed tube amp

3 Likes

Adjustable gain is a key capability. While a different sound signature from the Pendant, the Mogwai SE lets you roll different tube types for the input, power, and rectifier tubes.

4 Likes

Mogwai SE is sadly out of my reach.
At home me, wife and son have determined a budget that can’t be surpassed yearly for personal expenses. It’s the only way to educate properly a son IMO: give example with your actions.
Given the SE is out of my reach I’m reading about Pendant and Mogwai OG and when I’ll be sure I’ll bet my money on one of the two.
The nice thing about both is that whatever you choose you choose a good product that you can enjoy for years.
Thank you for your hints, I highly appreciate it.

6 Likes

Either one will be an excellent choice.

1 Like

For sure. That’s why I feel privileged aka “the glass is always at least half full”.

Understood and understandable. Compliments on adhering to a budget (sometimes a challenge with audio) and setting an example for your son.

You are likely aware that the Pendant is undergoing a not insignificant upgrade, Pendant OG to Pendant SE. Pendant (OG and SE) leans more neutral and has preamp outputs. Mogwai OG has more tonal weight, more power and versatility, and is solid state rectified; it also has speaker outputs. I have not compared these, but lower output may result in lower noise floor, especially for high sensitivity headphones.

If you don’t need preamp or speaker outputs, I would add the DNA Starlett for consideration, which is in the same range. It achieves gain variability via a switch (as opposed to tubes). For the DNA Stratus, the 6N1P and 6N6P input tubes can be swapped for 5dB less gain; I don’t recall if the same applies when swapping the 6CG7/6FQ7 and 6N6P input tubes for the Starlett. The Starlett (and Mogwai SE) allow for variability in power output and sag factor by changing the rectifier tubes: they take both 5U4G (more sag, less power) and 5AR4 (less sag, more power) rectifier tubes. The Mogwai SE can also take a solid state rectifier; I’m not certain about the Starlett and Pendant.

Your decision might be informed (in part) by whether you prefer more or less sag (i.e., whether you need tube rectification). When I was comparing tube amps in this category, tube rectification was a prerequisite. Good luck - these are all quality hand-built amps that one can enjoy for years.

10 Likes

I also respect your budgetary methods. I have 4 kids, one in college and another starting next year. When my wife and I are discussing any expenditure over $100 we talk about it as a family with the kids so they can see how this all impacts what we do.

5 Likes

OH, I put both of my girls through 2 years of college, then they finished up on their own, 4 years and then 4 more for one added some more medical. But well worth in the end. One has paid off her student loans The other still working on it but almost done. Us parents do sacrifice a lot of our kids, but its a great feeling to see the outcome and what they can become. Audio equipment doesn’t hold a candle to their success. But so cool.

4 Likes

I start twitching when I think about the fact that in a couple of years, I’ll have 3 in college.
Last year no one in college, in ten years all 4 of my kids will be done (hopefully!)

2 Likes

OH it drove us nuts, kids and the first few years some get it going right off the bat and take college seriously, others think OH cool, I can hang out with friends but sooner or later understand it, and start moving along. My younger daughter played her first year, then got serious and bingo got her degree in Industrial & Operational Engineering, and overseas quality, processes and contractors for a large Commercial and Residential Builder in Central Fla… The older daughter is APRN at a ENT group in Central Fla. The key to us at least was to keep them motivated and look at the big picture.

But just think of all the cool audio gear you can get when they are done, and sometimes they give it all back to you in $$ LOL, yep true.

2 Likes

A lot of precious informations.
I thank you a lot for sharing.
They will make my decision a lot more easy and informative.
I’m looking more and more at the Mogwai OG because of it’s behaviour with headphones like Hifiman Sundara and Dan Clark Audio Aether 2C/Noire that I have.
I can sacrifice some neutrality in sound in change of greater flexibility and better all around work.
Solid state rectification is a plus that can make my decision easier.
If I could afford the Mogwai SE it would be even better with the three different output exits but since I can’t violate family rules I believe I’ll be happy with Mogwai OG for long time.

3 Likes

You’re very welcome.

Based on your intended usage with planars and mentioned preferences, I agree that the Mogwai OG is likely the best choice of these amps.

Eventually I’ll post some of my impressions of the Mogwai SE and various tube combinations in the appropriate thread, which should apply to the Mogwai OG.

Family rules must be respected.

Thankfully I was able to get a little discount on my Mogwai SE courtesy of a discount code @MRHifiReviews was able to offer for his video interview with Justin W a few months ago.

6 Likes

I strongly believe that you can tell as many words you want but what really can teach to sons and daughters are your actions. So no intention to break self imposed rules as they are the base for my happy life and happiness isn’t for sale (as health).
I’m sure that the Mogwai will do is job very well in order to fit my needs.
It doesn’t mean I don’t like Pendant and all others tube amp.
Simply life is made of decisions and happiness comes form the ability of taking simple, effective decisions.
Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

5 Likes

I agree - actions speak louder than words.

Scope, plan, decide, execute, course correct - for audio and life, according to one’s set of rules/values/principles.

I agree that all of these amps would please, and it’s the fine tuning subtleties that drive decisions and distinguish/optimize.

My pleasure, enjoy the music.

6 Likes

My wife and I grew up just north of the wrong side of the tracks. Our child will grow up extraordinarily privileged.

This makes me nervous. Thank you for sharing an approach to this issue.

Also, pretty excited to read a review of the Mogwai from you with planars!

6 Likes

Probably next week I’ll be able to place my order. No rush, learn and think first.
My son is a box of troubles so my approach come out to be the only possible with him.
Every situation is different and there’s no absolute in education as in life.
Is worthless being inflexible if this doesn’t deal with the situation you live.
Being parent is the most dangerous job on earth.

2 Likes

Trying to understand this response a little better. What is “sag factor”?

http://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/what-is-sag

1 Like