ZMF Pendant - Tube Headphone Amplifier - Official Thread

In my opinion, you will get both more detail and air from the Pendant over the BHC with Speedball. I can’t speak to the pairing with the Auteurs or Eikon, as I have not tried that combo but maybe @ProfFalkin can help with that as he may have tried those combos.

4 Likes

Crunched for time, pardon the brief reply.

Pendant needs the right glass to really open it up imo. Zacks NOS selection is good, but my preference leans to more energetic tube selection. This is what I thought really made Auteur great with Pendant.

@MRHifiReviews knows which glass that is, and we posted it in the Pendant thread.

Edit: I haven’t heard Eikon on pendant. It’s good on BHC, the mid warmth synergizes with the Eikon treble and bass well

9 Likes

Correct!. I didn’t like the JJ tubes at all and unfortunately one of the vintage tubes Zach sells went noisy.
Brent Jesse is the guy you need to talk to. His tubes are great. Just send him an e mail and explain what gear you have. He responds right away and ships by the next day.

The “prof special” tubes for the Pendant are shown here.

@andris’s tubes (based on the prof specials) are detailed here.

I liked Zach’s NOS selection, but I’m not sure if he gave exactly the same tubes to everyone. I have:
Hammond EL84 power tubes (made by Amperex I think)
RFT EZ81 rectifier
Baldwin 12au7 yellow label (made by Raytheon) and as a backup, Baldwin green label (made by Sylvania).

I go back and forth between which 12au7 I prefer, and currently like the yellow Baldwin because it fills out the sound a little more than the green. But I’m also tube rolling 12au7’s right now, so I may end up with something I like more.

4 Likes

Do you have an example of tubes that are more energetic? I agree that because the Auteur is really neutral it needs something to help wake it up. For me the mids and treble is perfect with the stock pads but the bass needs some slam. Don’t know if you can recommend some good tubes for that. Thanks for your impressions. Good to know my Eikon wouldn’t be completely relaxed be the Auteur if I got the Pendant lol.

My special tubes will be visible on a review I am dropping tomorrow :wink:

4 Likes

That would be the “prof special” tubes I linked to above.

1 Like

The @ProfFalkin special is as follows:

• Aero Electronics rectifier (~$70/ea)
  • La Radiotechnique input tube (~$95/ea)
  • Telefunken EL84 (~$190/pair)

Long story short, the Telefunkens were a little too hot/gain-y for me, but I think it’s just a bad pairing with the Utopia rather than an “issue” with the tubes. May pair very well with higher impedance cans.

7 Likes

So those telefunkies as I like to call them are worth their weight in gold IMO with the ZMF Aeolus, and Verite Open with an Amprex Input tube. I also like them with the Rad-0.

2 Likes

Somehow managed never to listen to my Stellia’s via Low Z on my OG Pendant. Have had a great 2 hour listening session with this setup. This amp’s “musicality” never ceases to impress me.

8 Likes

My SE is on the way. FedEx is showing Thursday arrival!

15 Likes

Even though I sold my 820s, the Pendant SE did an Amazing Job at making a controversial headphone, one of my best listening experiences. At the same time I’m kind of glad because now I get to enjoy my Auteur. Hopefully the VC is worth it though.

2 Likes

The VC is outstanding on the SE, I think you’ll be very happy.

4 Likes

This Saturday 9 am PT Premier. I hope you all enjoy and have a great rest of your week!

9 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 2 hours unless flagged)

Great! Nice to hear your point of view on this great collaboration between Justin and Zac.

1 Like

Anyone get there Pendant lately? I was hoping the estimated time frame on the site was exaggerated, however I can confirm it most definitely is not. I am starting to wonder if there are some parts shortages or something? The wait is starting to get to me a bit, and I know I can’t be the only one wondering about this. I am definitely learning a good lesson on patience. :wink:

In the meantime, for those that have received their Pendant what is your favorite driver tube? I think it would be cool to know what everyone is rolling with these days.

5 Likes

I don’t know specifically about the Pendant but I’ve ordered in mid March a Mogwai OG from Justin and I’m waiting for it.
I don’t live it as a problem.
When I translate a book I need my time to do my best and the same applies for me to others’ job.
I need the Mogwai?
“Need” is such a nasty word.
I have my life, my jobs and I have two headphone amps that I can use so “need” really doesn’t apply to me
I believe there are things that fall under the need, some other under pleasure.
I feel your wish to see your product and try it.
But pleasure and rush never work well together.
Be patient.
What today’s new, tomorrow will be old.
Take your times, enjoy your days.
It’s not an amp that can change it crucially.
Enjoy

2 Likes

I had the Pendant OG, and my favorite driver tube was the La Radiotechnique 12AU7. Crystal clear, with excellent extension up and down the frequency range. Of course, that may not match others’ preferences.

6 Likes

Cool! I got a couple of early square getter versions of that tube, and they have never done it for me in other amps, but I will definitely being rolling them in the Pendant to see what everyone is hearing.

1 Like