ZMF Pendant - Tube Headphone Amplifier - Official Thread

There is a new collaboration with ampsandsound and headphones.com coming. @MRHifiReviews has a YouTube interview with Justin discussing it. I suspect that may be taking up some time. Also, I’m pretty sure in that interview, Justin said something about getting the transformers was causing delays. It was a long interview! Worth the listen/watch and time though!

Oh and loving my SE! It will be worth the wait @Wes_S!

6 Likes

Cool and thanks for the info! I have watched the video, but did not pick up on the mention of transformers being delayed. I really enjoyed the video by the way. Justin’s enthusiasm and passion are awesome and I can’t wait to finally own an amp made by him. Also, I am aware of AmpsandSound’s new amps, and figured that was taking up some time, but also assumed the Pendants wouldn’t really get put on the back burner, at least that is what I am hoping.

I am sure I am going to love the SE when I get it and I am getting more and more excited everyday thinking about it, hence my recent post. This is definitely not my first rodeo of waiting for a handmade item, however it is nice to have updates every now and then if possible, instead of nothing but crickets chirping. . . :wink:

7 Likes

I’m relatively new with tubes. I thought the driver tube was synonymous with the power tube, which would be the EL84. The 12xx7 is the input tube? Regardless, I’m really liking a set of Tungsram EL84’s and I run a 12au7 RCA clear glass, orange label (mid 60’s). I have a 1960 white label also, but that one sounds compressed compared to the mid 60’s. I have a pair of Telefunkin EL84’s on the way. I’ve read a few people really like those in the Pendant.

3 Likes

Nice! Tungsram makes awesome tubes. I have Tungsram’s in 12ax7, 12at7, 12au7, EL84, EZ81, and can’t wait to hear an all Tungsram tube combo in the Pendant.

2 Likes

I might have to try a Tungsram 12xx7

1 Like

They are very well balanced tubes, that will work well in pretty much any tube combo. I highly recommend them, and suggest looking for the early versions with welded plates. The spot welded plates is a great indicator of being the earliest version, and they sound more organic and balanced than the latter versions. The early Tungsrams have some of the best vocals I have heard.

3 Likes

Keeping in mind that I’m not a tube guru, my understanding is that, while driver and input aren’t necessarily the same exact function (reference), the tubes used for these functions often overlap, so they’re often lumped together. The driver is definitely not the power or output tube, so in this case, the conversation is around the 12A_7 tube rather than the 6BQ5 (or equivalent). @ProfFalkin loved those Telefunkens in his Pendant :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For reference, this is what the welded plates look like on a Tungsram. They also always have the little square metal tab with some numbers written on it attached the plates, for another identifier.

This one is a rebrand 12au7/ecc82 Tungsram.

4 Likes

Pendant SE is in the house, and rocking! :grin: I am currently burning in this beauty with some of my favorite “Holy Grail” level NOS tubes and it sounds incredible. The holographic stage with the VC is spectacular!

Current Tube Roll

Input - Amperex 7316 Long Plate Foil D Getters 58’
Power - Valvo Hamburg EL84 Dish Getters with Bottom Codes D8 rXB 53’
Rectifier - G.E.C. U709 Black Plate Square Getter 58’

I will report back after burn in, and as of right now the SE is giving my RH-5 a run for the money on which is my favorite pairing with the VC. This amp is legit no doubt!

15 Likes

Wow love the chassis, what wood is it?

I gotta say that the VCs + Pendant is real match in heaven.

Congrats!

Thanks! The wood is Olive Burl and is the new wood for the current Pendant SE. I am actually switching this base out for Walnut Burl which I prefer, but it sure does look killer in Olive too.

2 Likes

Nice! I love the Walnut Burl, I just ordered one for my Pendant OG.

2 Likes

On day 3 of burn in, and this amp keeps getting better and better. :grin: Paired up with my Sonnet Morpheus and VC, this combo is everything I hoped it would be and more. The synergy of this combo is freaking magical!

Current tube roll that is sounding fantastic - Valvo Hamburg ECC81 D Getter 55’ (input), Valvo Hamburg EL 84 Dish Getter 53’ (power), and Mullard Blackburn EZ81 Square Getter 55’ (rectifier).

Happy Sunday and Listening!

9 Likes

Those with much more understanding than I have able to describe what impact and to what extent each type of the 3 types of tubes (input, power, rectifier) have on sound and why? I think I’ve read from least to most, would be rectifier, power, input. I have a ton of EL84 matched pairs, but wonder if more of my tube rolling focus should be on the input 12AU7 types.

2 Likes

You are correct, and I concur on noticing the biggest difference is with rolling the input tube (12au7). So far, I have rolled 12au7’s and 12at7’s with the 12au7’s generally being a bit quieter but not having as much impact.

2 Likes

Thanks! To get more specific, do the 3 types impact different aspects of the sound, like maybe one slot is the most important for noise floor, certain parts of the frequency range, soundstage or do they all affect all and just a matter of how much? I’ve always assumed the latter but was never certain.

1 Like

Thanks for asking this I’ve been curious too. I’m not quite ready to (tube) roll as I’m still exploring the stock tubes, but I also wasn’t sure where to start.

1 Like

12A_7s greatest difference is the amplification factor.

12AU7 is rated around 20
12AT7 is rated around 60
12AX7 is rated around 100

2 Likes

Yes sir those are the facts. That’s the beauty of this amp, being able to use all 3. I have all 3 but have only tried my 12au7’s and 12at7’s so far, and the 12ax7’s are going to be rolled in the next couple of days. I have plenty of room on the dial for the gain of the 12ax7 and can’t wait to hear those as well.

2 Likes

Lots of variants in those four digit tubes too. 5963, 5965, 6201, etc.

Fun, fun, fun experimenting.

I think I have the best success with the 12AT7s and variants.

3 Likes