ZMF Vérité C - Closed-Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

Could someone describe if the closed has that air preasure some closed backs have? We talked about it a bit in the Celestee thread how those had a lot of pressure assuming from micro dynamics. Oppose to the Noire that have less pressure.

I feel like the pressure is on the lower end of closed backs. I typically have an issue with closed back or iem pressure giving me headaches and I have not noticed it with VC.

1 Like

Hi Tyler,

I also own Cayin HA-1A MK2 with upgraded Goldlions drivers and power tubes. I’m very interested getting VO or VC. I only listen to opened back HPs. Do you think it’s a good match? Do you recommand closed or opened? Which tubes do you use for Cayin? Will any OTL amps sound better with ZMF HPs?

P.S I just join this group and searching around for information. Your YT channel and reviews are so awesome and good job bro! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Billy

4 Likes

Hey! Thanks for checking out the channel!

I have tungsol tubes in the Cayin, it is a good match with the ZMFs and kind of reminds me of a “baby” pendant to some degree.

Regarding open or closed… I’d go with whichever has the most utility for you, and what aesthetically you like more. Between the VO and VC, they are both pretty similar, but the VC isn’t quite as full sounding in the midrange… but it has a bit more magic in the staging and imaging, also the lows hit a bit more ha. The VO is more balanced and easier to get along with for most people.

Hope that helps!

Tyler

6 Likes

Thanks bro thats very helpful. Ahhh… u got me. I really love the look of the grill of VO. I only listen in my bedroom so isolation is not an issue. Sounds like i have the answer LOL. Which pads u recommended for VO? some says verite pad for most neutral and universal for enhanced bass and sound stage?

1 Like

Just got a pair of VO LTD Blackwood with Be2 pads, which after > 100h of burn-in are sounding amazing: fast, spacious, great microdynamics as well. At this point, the most lively Verité headphone I’ve heard for my taste in gear and music (see profile). I also own other VO, VC, and Auteur models.

7 Likes

Thanks for your sharing. I’ve read blackwood is the densest/hardest!? wood so far in ZMF line up. Hows that differ from your other ZMF cans in particular VO?

1 Like

It’s still the same headphone, my first ZMF is a VO silkwood, but blackwood hits harder, bass and drums more localized, percussive highs (such as cymbals) pop out more. Plucked strings are also more salient. For the music I listen to, mainly contemporary jazz and classical, blackwood makes it more dynamic and attention grabbing, silkwood more laydback.

I ordered the VO LTD blackwood because I had bought a used Auteur blackwood for my other location that had surprised me in a similar way. The VO blackwood is even more of the same. I could imagine it would be too much for some, especially on long listening sessions, but I’m really enjoying the greater dynamics.

6 Likes

Got it! Does the weight bother you? be frank, I’m a little shock how heavy this wood is.

The extra weight is noticeable, but I don’t use them for more than a couple of hours at a time. I use VC monkeypod for music-for-work, they are lighter and keep outside sound more effectively.

2 Likes

For those that can handle the weight, Zach let slip that a LTD VC African Blackwood is coming soon! I don’t know if my neck can take it, but lord knows I’ll be tempted by this release.

I might even consider selling my beloved red-stained Manchurian Ash VC if I can’t resist. And to top it off, ZMF November is right around the corner! My wallet better beware!

7 Likes

I received recently my LTD VO blackwood. They are heavy, but they sound so glorious that I can ignore the weight for several hours. I also own Auteur blackwood (which is how I decided to order VO blackwood for a different location) and I’ve worn them for long listening sessions. Sure, I’d probably not use them as work headphones. That’s what VC (monkeypod or stabilized maple burl) are for.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, and possibly to alleviate concerns somewhat about the weight, back in August Zach posted this on head-fi about the finish of the lighter magnesium chassis now being more durable:

We switched our magnesium finish and the shape of all gimbals a while back (maybe 6 months?) so they all look the same and have more radius to the edges. Since the change to the new magnesium substrate and shape we haven’t had a single complaint about paint chipping (knock on wood!) on the new shape/material.

4 Likes

How would you compare the Auteurs vs VO?

From Zach On HF in response to a post about VC Blackwood: “blackwood will be an early November release.”

4 Likes

Just started looking into these headphones and maybe this is a question for Verite’s customer service but I just saw their Nov lineup with the stabilized closed and that black and light brown one looks amazing(no idea on the wood on that one) but depending on the type of wood which would you recommend for a certain type of music? (I enjoy EDM, indie female vocals and synths)

Does that wood matter for that? I’m only asking since I saw that the blackwood seems heavier, but someone suggested it’s dynamic for the sound they enjoy.

3 Likes

Hi there!

So, I’ve owned all of the ZMFs. Multiples of some of them, actually. It’s been my experience that the wood does change the experience very very slightly, but not in the frequency response. It will change some of the characteristics of reverb, speed, decay, whatever you want to call it. These changes are usually only detectable on direct comparison of the same type of headphone using different wood, which is to say that the change is minor. I would not let wood type affect my selection beyond aesthetic choices.

If you’re looking for a ZMF headphone, but are unsure what would best match your sound preferences and music genres, the last thing I would look at is what type of wood is used.

Personally, I enjoy the Aeolus for most of the genres you listed, and the verité closed more for classic rock, metal, etc. For EDM, I could use either and be happy. I will admit, I do miss the Eikon for that slamming heavy bass music. It kicks so hard.

Concerning weight and comfort: Yes, ZMF headphones are heavy. They are even a little bulky compared to other manufacturers. Most people would flag this as a recipe for an uncomfortable headphone. The headband and suspension strap that Zack uses to alleviate these issues works very well. I would rather wear a ZMF headphone than most of the Focal line because my ears don’t feel cramped, and the suspension strap doesn’t cause a hotspot or irritate my giant pointy head. While I am supporting more weight, the absence of these ergonomic issues make it more comfortable than most lighter headphones, to me.

Hopefully that helps you in some way.

Edit: I’ve had a blackwood VC for over a year now (I think?). I don’t believe many have been made up to this point. You guys are in for a treat.

14 Likes

Hi!

Wow thanks for your quick response! I was in fact originally considering a Focal(radiance) so it was great you brought it up.

I was more inclined towards closed back since I want a more enclosed experience. Would it be such a task to enjoy my EDM on a VC, especially if I wanted the new epoxy resin stabilized model?
I wear glasses too, is there a heavy change in a experience with that? I know for some headphones it is.

Would the sound still be “fun” even if it’s more for Rock? And I saw the blackwood option but I wouldn’t know the first difference between that and the resin stabilized(really like the color on them honestly)

Honestly there are so many genres for EDM I am not interested in that heavy drum and bass sound it is more so Dance/alternative/electronic.

4 Likes

I don’t have a VC, but I do have a VO (which should have a similar signature) and an Aeolus. As @ProfFalkin said, they would both work for EDM, indie females vocals and synths.

The Aeolus (with stock pads) is a lot warmer than the Verite and is great for lying back and enjoying the music, but I find that it is either fantastic for certain genres (like rock) or it doesn’t work for me, but YMMV. The Verite is a little more detailed and accurate, and works pretty well across lots of different genres. It all comes down to preference - they’re both great. And you can also tweak the sound by trying out different pads - the differences are not subtle.

Out of interest, what amp do you have? ZMFs need some power to sound at their best.

5 Likes

Appreciate the new artists to check out, my playlist is mostly(RAC, Madeon, M83, Chromeo, Studio Killers)

It’s refreshing that my first instinct for the Radiance may have been correct but I’ll leave it as an option still due to the demand of ZMF VC and the likelihood of securing one.

As for driving it I totally get I would need an amp/dac situation, I secured my partner a Schiit Jotunheim/Modius but I may be more descering on the options since this would be my first foray into headphones this advanced.

Would his set up power the VC?
What cables do you recommend?

Thanks for the tip about the glasses, I don’t want to lose sound quality and I actually want to hear music as I read and I need the glasses to do that.

1 Like