ZMF Vérité - Open-Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

I recognize that, just wondering if the material made more of a difference with the bass response. I don’t recall bass being touted as a feature of the BE2 but tbh I haven’t looked up the details in quite a while and I ordered the BE2 as a “why not” add on rather than being intrigued by what it may sonically impart.

I’m not in to case rolling so that’s likely as far as I’ll go but I might buy a hybrid of my eventual favourite just try it out.

1 Like

Your instincts are right that material had more of an impact on frequency response, at least to me and based on my exchanges with Zach where he referred to damping inpact. I personally value comfort and staging more, and then any sub optimal impact to frequency response can be adjusted with EQ - although I don’t find that necessary for my general listening.

I believe the BE2 are more neutral than the Universe, although lambskin should help preserve tonality.

3 Likes

@BondDaBoom, interesting observations. I have been using the hybrid BE-2 for the last few weeks, really have not taken them off as often as the Universe or Verite pads. I found them to be nearly halfway across the board between the two. Definitely didn’t pick up more bass, but rather a slightly less reverberated bass compared to the Universe. I don’t have the best ears, so who knows what frequency of bass they pick up. My go to test track for bass is typically Angel by Massive Attack, the opening rumble is all bass and sets the tone.

I also found the BE-2 to be more forgiving across different set ups, whereas prior to owning I would swap pads depending on which amp I was using.

4 Likes

I’m finding the bass more there. I’m listening to 100% edm so my music should tell me that there is more there then before. Maybe some lower frequencies might be less. The highs are more to my liking on the Universe pads.

1 Like

So after a/b/c the 3 pads the Be-2 produces more impact in the bass but darkens the presentation most likely due to the thicker foam skin covering the driver vs the Universe that is just cloth skin making a livelier sound. I like all three can’t pick a favorite.

5 Likes

Just posting my EQ profile for the Verite flat perf lambskin pads here. If anyone has one with these pads, let me know what you think:

20hz: pk +2 Q=1.41
85hz: low shelf +1
200hz: pk -2 Q=1.2
400hz: pk -1.5 Q=1.2
800hz: pk -1 Q=1.41
1300hz: pk +1.5 Q=1.41
2350hz: pk +1.5 Q=2
2700hz: pk -1.5 Q=4
3300hz: pk +6.5 Q=2.2
4500hz: pk +0.5 Q=3
4900hz: pk -1.5 Q=4
5600hz: pk -4.5 Q=2.5
6000hz: high shelf +2.5

While I did measure this afterwards with the GRAS, this wasn’t actually to get it perfectly in line with Harman or anything. I left out a few things because to my ear this allows the VO to keep some of its flavor as well. Still keeping it on the smooth/relaxed side, just with a bit more energy in the upper mids.

11 Likes

Couldn’t agree more about the thicker backing darkening things up. I think too much imo. I really enjoy the universe perf hybrid.

1 Like

Another quick and pointless impression: new Camphor Burl VO (not burned in yet because Ive only had them for maybe 7 hours) and using Universe Lambskin (angled) pads. BF2 and Starlett driving these, eventually…

First put them on and realized they were complete garbage, muffled, no dynamics, WTF. What I learned is that I should make sure the music is coming through my amp and not externally through my headphones via near field monitors. I figured that out in about 20 seconds as I realized things were amiss. However, I amused myself on that one.

To continue…

So yeah, this is a good can.

I asked many moons ago why people used the word “lush” to describe these, I understand now. Tonal richness and some cup reverb. Its an experience I like.

Timbre is tops. Tonality is more bassy than the Auteur or Utopia as expected. Maybe a touch shouty in the treble but this is rare and could be recordings Im using (new ones I havent heard before because why test a headphone with familiar material). I think the U has the edge on macrodynamics and transients but just slightly. Treble is definitely recessed in comparison to the U but the timbre makes up for it. Microdynamics and low level detail are tremendous. The Starlett works with these.

Soundstage is sufficiently wide and has nice 3 dimensional placement with the depth it has. Im impressed with the stage it can throw. Im not a soundstage fanatic yet. Im generally happy just as long as its not overly narrow and the imaging is good, U is probably a touch more precise imagining wise but the VO can handle its own.

I haven’t tried the Verite pads or the BE2 pads I have yet. Based on info I got from the wilds of this forum and other far off places I should prefer the BE2, but time will tell. All pads are lambskin. Man up suede people :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:!!

Some have said the VO is just a warm version of the Utopia - I would disagree. These are different beasts.

Will do some burn in over the next bit and see what happens sound wise. I have to take these off now and do stuff, dont want to take these off and do stuff.

13 Likes

Totally agree I don’t think they sound anything alike! Love the VO I have on loan right now. Congrats @perogie

5 Likes

My nose and keyboard are furious at you. The glass of Scotch remains indifferent.

3 Likes

Thanks. I was worried about my liking them as I very much enjoy the Utopia and was worried they would be too similar outside of commonly understood tonality differences. I’m glad they are different. I feel very lucky to have both.

2 Likes

When we start anthropomorphizing our beverages does that mean we have had enough or too much? :thinking::grinning: Reminds me that I haven’t had a good beer in quite some time.

2 Likes

First put them on and realized they were complete garbage, muffled, no dynamics, WTF. What I learned is that I should make sure the music is coming through my amp and not externally through my headphones via near field monitors. I figured that out in about 20 seconds as I realized things were amiss. However, I amused myself on that one.

Earned an actual “lol” from me on that one, I can just imagine the thought and deduction process in that moment, as well as the face that goes with it. Glad you like your new cans and they’re not actually garbage, despite the initial 20 second impression haha

The glass of Scotch remains indifferent.

@ProfFalkin we have a “what are you listening to?” thread, I’m surprised we don’t have a “what are you drinking thread?” yet!

4 Likes

We do. It’s around here somewhere.

1 Like

Anyone find the BE2 to have more bass emphasis yet the Universe to be more warm? Cup reverb more present with the Universe pads.

Think I prefer the Universe right now. BE2 creates a sound too similar to other cans I have. Universe is a presentation I dont have.

2 Likes

Ok, so, just an FYI - I’m never going to order another ZMF headphone that doesn’t have the suede headband my VC has. OMG. Soooooo good. My precious.

I wonder if Zach sells these separately. I’m not kidding, I’ll put this Schiit on everything. I’ll glue it to my Emu Teak if that’s what it takes. Must have all the suede.

6 Likes

Is the suede standard or did you have to request it? Zach is always tweaking things it seems so I dont know.

He probably would sell them separately if demand was there.

I had a Co-Pilot that was supposed to come with my VO but unfortunately it didnt make the trip. I was looking forward to seeing how it improved the comfort for me. These are pretty comfy for the short time Ive used them

The amount of reverb on these are just right, anything more would have been too much. Glad I opted for the harder wood, assuming there is bit a difference.

If I wrap an iPhone in suede…

2 Likes

I requested it, but I think it’s an option on the website. I don’t remember. I’ll look later.

I ordered mine back when Zach was still doing special requests for woods and stuff, which he recently said they no longer do. ZMF November and the move put the breaks on that.

3 Likes

I saw it on someone else’s set of VCs and it’s definitely piqued my interest. With your post, I’ve gone and emailed Zach to see if he’ll let me tweak my VC order to include that haha

4 Likes

you just have to request it instead of the leather. I have it on my VO and I agree, its really comfortable and nice. Just adds a little more comfort to the suspension strap. I’m sure Zach will sell you one. I mean with a VO that looks like yours, why wouldnt he? haha!

I agree, I love the universe pads. They’re great imo. I like the universe perf hybrid the best. comfort, sound, amazing combo.

2 Likes