ZMF Vérité - Open-Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

Thank you for the elaboration, and does not sound odd at all having your two channel be the force to change it up.

I had Chord Mojo and an older hybrid amp from Musical Fidelity, they did a decent job of elevating the Verite yet I felt something was lacking. I had the opportunity to try out a DNA Starlett, which if you is a SET tube amp for $2k. It had such a profound effect on the Verite, and this was my first tube amp I was able to use on these headphones. I placed an order for its big brother the Stratus, during the wait for that amp I explored the OTL world through the tubes of a Woo WA-3 to keep my tube lust at bay. It was a different experience for sure as the sound from an OTL felt a bit less controlled vs the SET amp.

I also picked up the TT2/HMS stack to primary use as an upgrade to my DAC, I already had a nice solid state to drive the Verite (Bryston BHA-1) The amp section of the TT2 is quite good, a pleasant surprise as it was enjoyable and a good complement to my tube amp. Its small form factor, and the quality of its amp allows me to pack it in a Pelican case for travel. Lugging around a 40 pound tube amp is not as convenient…

10 Likes

Ha, ha, it seems easier to travel with the TT2 :grinning: Congrats on what most certainly is a beautiful sounding setup!

Interesting regarding the tube amp. The integrated amp in my two channel system is actually the tube amp I bought as an end-game headphone amplifier. My plan was to add an end-game headphone to complement the HD800S and my assumption was that it was going to be a harder to drive headphone. (I believe that the HD800S is easier to drive than people think but it needs current.)

But then I became uncertain if I was on the right track. First of all, the HD800S sounded really great with the TT. I began to question if it actually sounded better with tubes or just different. Second, I discovered the joy of using eq to adjust the sound to my liking. All of the sudden the HD800S sounded better than ever!

When I saw Resolves fantastic review of the VO I felt that it could be my end-game headphone and it was easy to drive!. And with that I didn’t need the tube amp for the headphones and could instead afford to also (re)build a two channel system.

It’s really interesting that we’ve followed similar paths but come to different “ideal” setups, ie I mostly listen without a separate headphone amp and you have added (fantastic!) amplification. What a great hobby this is!

5 Likes

Thanks, everyone, for your impressions and for all the great information above, it’s been very helpful as I contemplate a purchase.

The cunning plan has been to get a pair of Vérité next spring or summer, when I’ve saved up enough. Ideally, I’d like to buy a new pair for the warranty, especially because I’m inclined to keep the Vérité over the long term - part of the appeal is having a unique pair of handmade headphones that are made to last a lifetime (and I can be very loyal to select pieces of gear, like my 30+ year-old Thorens turntable). I’m also more inclined to buy a pair new given that ZMF headphones retain so much of their original value on the used market. (Why not spend the extra 10% and get the warranty?)

The hiccup in my (not so cunning) plan is that I’ve not saved up enough, yet, and that, of all the Vérités, I think I like the current African Blackwood Ltd one the most. Since it’s a limited wood, it may not be on sale for all that much longer…

Decisions, decisions…

Anyway, in daydreaming about getting a pair - and thinking about the kinds of wood ZMF has used for the Vérité in the past - I’ve been going through photos online. I can’t claim to have identified every single wood, but here’s a nice collection of them to cheer you all up on a Monday. (The pics are either from the ZMF Headphones website or Zach’s posts to head-fi, unless otherwise noted).

Camphor Burl Ltd.

Cocobolo

(source: ZMF Verite LTD — Deskhero.ca Inc.)

Desert Ironwood

(source: Verite Open Limited Edition Headphone by ZMF - Indie Hi-Fi)

Pheasantwood

Purpleheart

Sapele (with Mahogany stain)

Silkwood

Ziricote

15 Likes

I think this just tells you that you’re never going to miss out. Even if you don’t get the one you think you want, there will be another one around the corner in a wood and/or color that you didn’t realize you would lust after.

And don’t forget that even beyond the wood varieties, there may also be some options with stain. I have a regular (if you can call a piece of art “regular”) Silkwood Verite for which I requested a darker stain.

9 Likes

Yes, you’re right. There are only a couple of woods/colors I’ve found less attractive, relatively speaking.

Thanks for mentioning the possibility of stain options. I wasn’t sure if that was being offered any more, especially with the stock woods, for which there seem to be fewer options for personalization (the rods and grilles for the current Sapele Vérité seem to be available only in black or aged copper - I wouldn’t want to do a headphones equivalent of ordering off-menu at a restaurant). I suppose the stain options might depend on the wood.

The Silkwood really is lovely!

5 Likes

Myself have also lusted after the darker woods such as the Blackwood and the Zircote, I decided to dip my toe in the water with a darker stained silk wood along the lines of @PaisleyUnderground. Though we have not exchanged pics to compare how they differ or are similar.

I am holding out hope for a Zircote to make a second appearance, and was tempted with the Blackwood for a minute. Maybe they come around again, maybe they don’t. It’s a gamble either way, as maybe another wood comes by and blows our preference away.

Good luck on the deliberations, if it is now or later.

6 Likes

It would be nice to see them! I spent an hour or two over the weekend, while listening to music, happily browsing for people’s photos on this thread and the Vérité image gallery on head-fi - hence, in part, the temptation.

Part of the appeal for me is that I have a pair of the Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Ebony headphones and I love the color; there’s a high gloss varnish on the cups, which make them look purely black from some angles, but when you look closely, you can see the lovely grain. I’ll be selling the TH-X00 to contribute to the Vérité fund and it feels appropriate to stay with a darker wood…

2 Likes

So I realize I posted some pics about a year ago in a response to @PaisleyUnderground :slight_smile:

Then here is my shameless humble brag, my pair were instagram famous on the ZMF account:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CByVC7WpOeX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

One must honor the past in some manner before moving forward, I understand your thinking here :clap:

11 Likes

Ah, yes, I remember your photos now. And your pair are deservedly instagram famous - they’re gorgeous! (I hope you snagged that stand).

1 Like

That dark stain looks incredible. Now I wish I had mine stained that way too :sweat_smile: Well, what’s done is done. When I ordered mine, I just tried to get the unit as light as possible. Zach helped me through and through - every single interchangeable part.

2 Likes

I think they stopped doing “custom” stains for a while, I might have been one of the last ones to be able to access that actually as they stopped offering it shortly after mine was delivered. They may still have general options for their standard stains such as light or dark. I know that when I got my Autuer, in standard wood, I requested a darker stain, no upcharge or anything, that was a couple of years ago.

You could always ask and see what the current options are for stains.

4 Likes

Here’s mine. Not Instagram worthy like @Roark’s but still looks beautiful.

15 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m increasingly tempted by the African Blackwood Ltd Vérité (all the recent photos aren’t helping!), and I was hoping I might trouble you for some advice, please? I have three sets of questions.

First, the aluminum chassis material for ZMF headphones is black, right? I’m 99% sure it’s anodized black. But I don’t want to make a silly mistake and order the wrong color!

Second, since the upgraded Magnesium chassis is not an additional expense with the (heavier than usual) limited edition African Blackwood, would it make better sense to opt for it even if it’s more susceptible to wear over time? I suppose what I’m asking is whether, over the long term, the aluminum chassis will suffer that many fewer chips? I don’t know how resilient anodizing process is: I’m coming at this query from being an owner of the CA Andromeda IEMs, which have anodized green aluminum shells that are far from being resilient against chips.

Third, I’m trying to figure out pad options. I have a decent grasp on people’s impressions of how the pads affect the tuning of the Vérité, and I think I’d like to add the Vérité pads to the lambskin Universe ones, so as to get the two most different presentations across the warm/bright spectrum. My understanding is that the Vérité pads are only available in lambskin. Also, according to the ZMF chart, below, the Universe lambskin make for the warmest presentation.

My question, then, is about a third pair of pads. It might be nice to get the Be2 pads to split the difference in the tuning of the U and V pads. Since I’m inclined to go with lambskin for the other two, I’d like to get the Be2 pads in suede. This would afford me with two benefits: I could see how the suede differs from the lambskin pads in terms of comfort, and I could get a better handle on how the Be2 sits in relation to the V and U pads because, to judge from the chart, the difference in sound between the Be2 lambskin and suede pads is smaller than that of the Universe suede and lambskin pads.

Does this sound like a wise strategy? Or am I getting it all wrong? Should I be considering hybrids instead?

5 Likes

That’s what I did - got the stock Universe lambskin perforated, plus BE2 hybrid and Verite lambskin. Ultimately decided pretty quickly I was all in on the Universe pads and sold the BE2 & Verite pads easily. One of the great things about all things ZMF is how well they hold their value.

Regarding the chassis, I’m pretty sure the aluminum chassis is anodized black. The magnesium chassis can be painted either grey or black.

Fwiw, I got the magnesium chassis painted black and it seems pretty resilient unless you’re the type who’s likely to be dropping or banging around your $3k headphone often. :wink: Only time will tell, though, if in the long run I should have gone with the heavier but sturdier aluminum.

Also, I would probably recommend the suede strap. I’ve found the leather strap doesn’t provide very much support for the heavier wood cups like ironwood or blackwood; I think the suede strap is thicker & softer.

5 Likes

I have the verite, Be2 and Uni pads in lambskin. The Uni pads are the warmest globally but the Be2 has the most emphatic deeper bass rumble to my ears.

The Uni pads are probably the most ZMFish in that they are lush, atmospheric, and provide a wonderful stage. The V pads are more technically leaning but the cavity is smaller and I can feel them up against the outside of my ears. Might bother you. Be2 is more a middle ground with characteristics closer to the V pad but still with decent staging.

I tend to favour the Uni or Be2 pads depending upon my mood and what I’m looking to experience. The V pads don’t offer me anything as I have a Utopia which does what the V pads do but only better.

If you don’t have something with the tech chops of the Utopia than the V pads are still something I’d recommend as sometimes I found the Be2 and Uni pads a bit congested and fuzzy. Keep in mind my preferences are more towards something like a Utopia so you may not have this issue. The V pads can provide a bit of sonic palate cleanse.

I haven’t heard these but from what I recall reading these may create the most bass heavy version of the VOs. I wasn’t overly interested in the suede or hybrid pads as I was worried about the blunting of certain acoustics properties that I value.

Also dont discount adding a pilot or copilot pad. I have a copilot pad and its a wonderful little addition for added comfort.

You’ve put the proper thought into it, but ultimately it will be hard to know if you’re right until you get ears on and figure your preferences. Based on the info you have been provided I cant fault your thinking.

6 Likes

@PaisleyUnderground inspired me to actually go outside…

Man, I really suck at photography. Had to brighten the image up, so, take with a grain…
Even though I had just gotten my Ironwoods, and really fell love with them, I just had to jump on the Blackwoods. I’m one of those degenerates that loves the fully-blacked-out thing. In hand, they are magnificent. Keeping for life! The Irons will just have to go to new and loving home.

14 Likes

I’ve Universe, Be2, and Verite in both lambskin and hybrid. My actual choice is the Be2 leather version: less congested basses then Uni imho while maintaining good staging and not too much brights.

There’re a lot of good talk about the hybrid pads but I still can’t figure out WHY :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you very, very much @perogie, @chrisnyc75, @PieR, and @Quantum - and others via direct message - for the helpful and thoughtful replies and for the excellent advice, I’m most grateful.

I’m seeing a pattern with folks liking the lambskin pads over the hybrids. I think it makes sense for me to go all-lambskin at the outset, at least so I might have a consistent frame of reference for comparing them.

Thanks for the warning, @perogie, about the V pads being shallower and feeling them on your ears - I suspect I’d likely suffer the same fate.

That’s good to know, thanks. I have a pair of Clear and HD 800 SDR headphones, which clearly aren’t in the same league as the Utopia. But both do reasonably well for incisiveness and resolution, and they both have some degree of brightness (less so with the Clear), so I’d be keen to hear how the Vérité with the V pads compares with them; I wonder if I might find one or other of my current pairs of headphones to be redundant.

It was precisely the terrific speed and resolution - and yet with a darker tonality - that I found so beguiling about the Vérité.

Also good to know, thanks!

Thank you both for these suggestions. Straps and headband pads hadn’t even crossed my mind, at least not properly.

So many options! I suspect part of the appeal of ZMF Headphones are the many choices and decisions to be made… this all makes for a great deal of pleasurable research and contemplation as I mull over a purchase.

Thanks again, guys.

6 Likes

YES! Pad freedom is a really nice “plus” with the ZMFes.

Don’t rush like I did buying “all pads”. You can tweak your ZMF over time. Start with lambskin, enjoy your headphone and then - if you want - do experiments with hybrid or suedes. Just remember to use perforated pads on VO

… and when you’re ready we can then start talking about cables (evil grin :stuck_out_tongue: )

4 Likes

Still burning in, but I have been loving the Verite open as much as my Verite closed so far!

23 Likes