64 Audio U12t - Universal IEM - Official Thread

Ok Mr cool guy :wink: I’m sure the MEST is great, a lot of people enjoy it!

2 Likes

Just got the U12T’s today. I think I might just end off my search for IEMs here. The overall tonal balance is pretty much to my liking. They sound “bigger” than what I had expected which I guess the dip in the ~3 kHz helps that perception.

I think I might look for a replacement cable next - not to change the sound, but I don’t really care for the stock cable - it’s a bit microphonic and it just doesn’t feel very premium. I’m also not a fan of the bulky right-angle Oyaide-type jack. The provided eartips seem to be rather cheap - they look and feel like the tips I would find from third party knock-offs. Currently using Sony hybrid tips. The big case is a pain to carry around and store the IEMs in. I guess it’s fine if one rarely uses them and plans to through them into a backpack or something. I got a hardshell Brainwavz case that works well though it’ll need the “3-finger” cable loop to fit the IEMs into it. It’s a bit thick but it’s still pocketable.

To elaborate a bit more on the sound, I think you folks who have a pair already knows what’s up about these. They follow my preferred tonal balance pretty much perfectly and technically performs very well that I have very little to complain about them. The one gripe I have is the upper treble. There seems to be a bit of extra energy around 12.5 kHz (or at least the very least on my unit) that makes the upper treble response a bit “tizzy” or “zingy.” It’s fine for the most part but can fatiguing with tracks that are mastered a bit “hot.” On the other hand, it does help some tracks sound a bit more lively and fun.

Probably a bit of an unpopular opinion, but (from memory) I prefer the bass here on the U12T than on the IER-Z1R. I think the bass is a lot more tight and punchy here on the U12T, whereas the bass on the IER-Z1R seemed a bit “mushy” and soft in impact.

13 Likes

I am also not a great fan of the cables especially the over ear part. After a while it will start to widen the iem pin inserts if you don’t take great care. I have babies my U18t’s and there’s a very slight wobble if I move the cable from side to side. Great iems though. Enjoy.

5 Likes

I recently bought the Legend X after having own the U12T for a while. I love both and I feel the same way, the u12t bass is unlike any other IEM I have. The fun roomy Legend X bass is great, but the u12t makes you appreciate tightly controlled, deep thumps, but yet quick and controlled decays. No other IEM I have has that kind of bass.

Also I dunno if it’s the way I’ve been storing my u12t’s before in their case (I wish 64 audio would tell us the proper way to store them in the case), but I have like ever so slight warping (barely noticeable tbh) on the aluminum housing near the pin extrusion. It’s been bothering me but the sound hasn’t changed, I still love them. Kinda sucks since I baby them and everytime I take them out and put them back I wipe them down, and there’s that weird warping.

4 Likes

Hi there,

I know this question comes up a lot, and @Torq you answered it in a few different ways, so apologies for the re-ask. Just want to clarify something you said about U18t being more lean coming from the U12t. Which makes sense from everything I’ve heard and read.

I currently have the U12t. LOVE them. I switch between the Apex modules and the M20 I see has MASSIVE bass impact and weight.

If I also buy the U18t, and I use the M20 Apex on them…will the bass have similar weight the U12t? I read that U18t with the 18 drivers has incredible bass, goes deeper than U12t, but as you said, less quantity.

I am looking to get more even more detail, more clarity, but…I also want the impact and musicality of the U12t sound I currently have. Will U18t with apex 20 satisfy that? Or will the bass quantity / impact be too thin? And thin like U12t with apex 15? or even leaner than that?

Appreciate any insight or advice as always. Thank you!

Btw, using Mojo with AQ Diamond USB. Simply incredible. Have this setup thanks to Taron’s advice (as with everything else I have) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just noticed your message, but I would really recommend the Dunu DUW02 as a cable replacement for the U12t. It matches perfectly with the color scheme of the IEM and it’s very versatile when you consider the swappable connector thing. I’ve had mine from the start (never used the stock cable, I simply couldn’t endure the feeling of it) and I couldn’t recommend it more! It’s about 80 USD, with $20 extra for every additional connector you decide to buy. Bought mine off the official Dunu store on Aliexpress and got the package a week or so later, which is quite impressive!

5 Likes

If you really like the U12t, I would recommend looking at FiR modules. I’ve been using the N+ module (it’s rated at 18 dB) and I feel like I get the benefit of both 64audio modules (M15 and M20) at the same time, which is awesome. I always liked the bass impact of the M20, but quite enjoyed the tonal balance of the M15 (and a slightly bigger soundstage), so the N+ makes a lot of sense. Sure, the 150 USD price tag might seem like a lot, but when you’re deeply invested into this hobby and the IEM itself, I feel like it isn’t that bad. The fact that you can quickly change the signature was something that made me pull the trigger. There’s a N- module, which is 13 dB isolation; a N module, which is the equivalent to the M15, and a N+ module, which is an in between in terms of isolation and sound (rated at 18 dB).

If you’re still debating whether or not to buy a different IEM, I would probably hold off on the FiR modules, but otherwise I’d say go for it!

5 Likes

not to be confused with the ninja platforming game :wink:

3 Likes

Haha, look at this geek :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice! I will try the Apex modules out of curiosity for sure!

But for the U18t, I am trying to determine how lean they are compared to U12t. That extra detail and clarity is enticing, but wondering U18t with M20 module, will that be enough to give it the bass weight of the U12t?

Thanks!

2 Likes

The U12T is a keeper…once I complete an RMA/warranty exchange that is. The pin connection to the left IEM appears loose and faulty: Sound disappears at the slightest movement of the cable. Are two-pins always this finicky?

I compared the U12T stock cable pin to the Effect Audio cable that came with the Valkyries. It looks like the latter is shorter and ever so slightly thicker. I tried the EA cable on the U12T and it fit more snugly. Sound was great and I couldn’t duplicate the problem, so the fault must be the thinner pin on the U12T stock cable not getting a proper connection.

Thoughts anyone?

1 Like

Yes, I actually had the same exact issue where the sound would cut out on the left side if the pin was wiggled. The U12t’s sound is to die for - heck, it’s probably my favorite IEM - but the build does leave something to be desired. See, when you adjust the cable’s memory wire, it exacerbates the strain on the connector pin point - the carry case forces you to do the same too. There’s no notch in the build to relieve strain, so I recommend swapping out the stock cable just in case. I also had a second instance in which the right side just…died. I was using it one moment, and the next, it wouldn’t make any sound at all. Yeah, I have pretty bad luck. To their credit, 64audio has quickly taken care of the issue both times and I can’t fault their customer service.

4 Likes

This is super helpful @Precogvision! The right side dying was caused by the stock cable too? Did your swapping to an aftermarket cable, I assume one without memory wire, resolve the issue? If it did, which cable do you suggest? I’m rethinking this purchase if the unit is really that finicky.

1 Like

No problem! I’m not sure what happened with the right side to be honest. I’m also not much of a cable believer, so I just grabbed one I had lying around (without memory wire!) and haven’t had any issues with the connector pins since. Someone recommended the Dunu DUW02 above, it’s a nice cable plus you can swap plugs. But even if you do reconsider your purchase, the good thing is that the U12t holds its value very well on the secondary market.

4 Likes

Gotcha! I’m not a believer in cables either. Any “upgrades” for me are for feel and aesthetic - but in this case, to actually be able to listen to the U12T! I really appreciate your help!

3 Likes

The U12t was the first flagship IEM I listened to. Nothing else I’ve heard since has quite matched it sans perhaps the Sony IER-Z1R, so I wanted to make a post detailing some of my thoughts and the why. Yes, I bought the U12t with my own money, so I’m biased, subject to cognitive dissonance, the whole shebang. And despite two RMAs (one for a finicky connector point and another for a side randomly dying on me) in the span of three months…I can’t sell it. The U12t really is like the prodigal son that I can’t help but forgive wholeheartedly each time I hear it again.

The U12t follow something of a U-shaped frequency response, it has a more laidback, slick, resolving sound. Let’s talk about the bass. Quantity with the M15 module is a bit lacking for my preferences. More balanced, certainly, but the M20 module slaps on a small sub-bass shelf which adds that extra “oomph” I’m looking for in my bass. And terrific bass it is. The U12t’s bass is more textured, nuanced, than a good deal of dynamic driver IEMs I’ve heard. Plus that natural decay; I don’t think I’ve heard any other BA IEM that can match the U12t’s response here. It’s not perfect of course: There’s a general lack of density to its notes, and the deepest registers of dynamic slam are notably absent. But it sets the bar impossibly high for most any other BA IEM I’ve heard, sans the Sony IER-M9, and it’s enough to sate even my admittedly strong predilection for bass.

My thoughts on the midrange haven’t changed too much. I still think it’s just about perfect in terms of note weight between male and female vocals; it’s exceptionally safe. Perhaps more importantly, vocals are pushed quite a ways back on the stage. When you listen to the U12t, you’re more of an observer - watching it all unfold in front of you - rather than in the mix itself. I’ve come to recognize that this is one of the key factors that decides whether an IEM breaks the head-stage barrier for me, and it gives the U12t’s center-stage a good deal of depth. The U12t’s midrange clarity isn’t as good as I remember it being when I first listened to it, though. It’s still incredibly resolving, don’t get me wrong, but the attack takes a slightly blunted nature here, and there’s a light haze.

If there’s one area in which my thoughts have changed quite a bit, it’s in the treble. In my previous review I summed it up as being “natural and detailed”. That’s not quite right. Actually, it’s mostly the opposite of the former, as there’s a good deal of mid-treble suckout from 8-10kHz. Then it comes back up for air at nearly 20kHz. What this results in, to my ears, is a more laidback treble response that has excellent detail at the top. Still, it’s not at all accurate relative to real-life instruments, and if you can’t hear that high up in the frequency range, the U12t will sound rolled-off and lacking extension. Sorry, but this probably isn’t the IEM for you if you’ve got hearing loss.

When it comes to technicalities, the U12t is a monster. It excels at scaling macro-details and very few IEMs come to mind that can match it in this respect. It’s also got terrific layering capability; imaging, while not quite “holographic,” is pin-point precise. And can we talk about the timbre? It puts to shame most every other BA IEM I’ve heard. Even some IEMs that I would consider to be the U12t’s technical equivalent or even “superior” like the Vision Ears VE8 are marred by all-too-obvious BA artifacts. The U12t has decent density to its timbre, and it’s fairly clean outside of a thin, warm, blanket coloration.

I do have something of a love-hate relationship with the U12t’s transients. Transient speed is fast - more than enough to make the Andro 2020 (an IEM I’d consider fairly quick) sound slow while A/Bing. Still, the transients take something of a blunted, round edge - particularly in the bass and midrange as I noted earlier - and as a result, the U12t lacks a certain crispness to its notes. This does play into the U12t’s coherency, as there’s a pleasant “mellowness” to its presentation that complements the dip in the treble. It’s the type of sound that you can listen to for hours on end without fatigue; it’s decidedly inoffensive, and my issue here is more personal preference than anything.

To this effect, I know some will hold that the U12t is too boring, too analytical, and hey: I can see where some of those criticisms are coming from. But I think it’s important to recognize that audio is characterized by a series of compromises. No IEM is going to do everything perfectly, and the U12t makes the least amount of compromises to my ears. That in itself makes it an IEM that plays at the very top (for me), as well as the gold standard by which I hold other flagship IEMs to. It’s something de facto, at least in the circles I hang in, that 64audio peaked with the U12t. And really, what can I say? It’s not hard to see why - topping something this darn good is no easy feat.

11 Likes

Finally broke down and bought one. I think I’ll have all the mainstays of modern TOTLs at this point, with the Z1R and Anole VX. Has anyone tried the MX module on the U12t?

2 Likes

Same here - broke down and purchased as my endgame (for now) iem.

The sound is fantastic across a range of genres - metal, prog, electronic!

One question - why is the 2 pin connection so wobbly? Is this common or do I have a faulty pair? Should I be concerned?

I did purchase a cable without memory wire (I so dislike the wire) and it seems to put less strain on the connection, but should there be play in the connection? My other 2 pins feel rock solid in comparison.

5 Likes

I have the same issue with my U18t’s. It’s the cable it seems to make the 2 pin socket a little wobbly over time. It’s still perfectly fine but a bit of a pain considering that other than this It’s a really well made lineup of iem’s. I’ve had mine around 2 years 9 months and the haven’t missed a beat. Touch wood.

4 Likes

Mine are wobbly too. I really love how they have an sense of openness even though it’s a closed IEM.

2 Likes