64 Audio U12t - Universal IEM - Official Thread

Great write up by @Precogvision on the U12t here:

6 Likes

Quick question guy, I accidentally turn up my USB DAC to full volume for a brief time and pull out U12T straight away, and I was afraid if this will broke the U12T? my USB DAC is pretty powerful (E1DA 9038S).

1 Like

It shouldn’t affect it… but it’s always a good practice to pause your music before plugging in and unplugging your IEM/headphones

3 Likes

The real problem with the most audio player app is to auto-play by default.

1 Like

I have the Solaris 2020 and am really considering the U12t. Does anyone have any comparisons?

Or perhaps a comparison to the OG Andromedas, since I have those too?

4 Likes

I think the U12t is technically better than all of those listed to my ears… @Precogvision has U12t and heard these IEMs as well and can give a proper response…

Plus he just did a video on it as well

5 Likes

I think I responded to the same question on Reddit already xD

3 Likes

8 Likes

first impressions: I didn’t know this much detail existed… I have to re-listen to everything now… full review coming soon! :heart_eyes_cat:

6 Likes

@Precogvision @Resolve @antdroid

You’re all responsible, in part or wholly, for the incoming pair of U12T to my house.

8 Likes

Anyone got custom tips for their 64 Audio IEMs?

Photo?

1 Like

I couldn’t get the stock tips to seal properly so I got a pair of “SpinFit CP145” and they work for me!

5 Likes

Hey there!

I have listened to the U12T a great deal, and have some thoughts:

Packaging is cool - I think I got a newer version, with the leather circle case, and all three Apex modules (MX, M15, and M20) I dig it. My one gripe on this IEM is the stock cable - the cable is fine, but the memory wire is kinda’ lame. They should get rid of that and go with a molded plastic like more modern cables are doing these days.

This IEM is very special. It is an all BA build, but due to the incredible macro dynamics’slam’ it posesses, you’d swear there’s a dynamic driver in there. Special, because you reap the benefits of BA where you otherwise shouldn’t be able to.

The other reason it is special is because it’s stock tonality is just where I want it for an IEM. It isn’t super clinical, but isnt missing detail \ posessing veil like so many ‘relaxed’ listening IEMs do. Just because I want to chill doesn’t mean I want to miss all the detail. I am happy to report NO EQ needed. (FYI, I use the M15 module it comes with.)

I do most my listening on an iBasso DX300. Very lovely device - get one. Best DAP I’ve ever used as a ‘music experience’ device.

I tried lots of different tips.

I think I prefer the stock foams the most, but I also really dig the JVC Spiral Dot ++. I think the foams are more tonally balanced, but perhaps that’s just my preference. Spinfits are a good middle ground (Pictured above).

Also… CABLES! I actually for once notice differences in cables!!! I was a skeptic until this very sensitive IEM.

I tried pure copper, silver plated copper (stock), and finally, a hybrid - two strands of copper with two strands of pure silver (Effect Audio Grandioso in black, pictured above).

The Grandioso (Copper + pure silver) was my favorite. Really digging it.

What a great setup to pace around the kitchen and sling work emails or cook!

This is where I’d normally post EQ… but again, these don’t need it.

Cheers!

9 Likes

Very nice writeup @Reyess. It’s an Iem you won’t be disappointed in. You are correct in your impressions of the cable. The 64 Audio cables are notoriously bad. They sound fine but in everyday use they’re hell to use.

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words.

RE: Cable - I talked to the guys at 64 Audio - they mentioned i can remove the memory wire from the cable if i want - carefully … Hmm. Not sure I want to risk that. I like it otherwise.

1 Like

Just snip the heatshrink where the wire ends. Run a blade delicately along the wire, just enough to light score it. Grab the end of the wire and pull it away from the cable, it’ll split the heatshrink neatly!

3 Likes

Hi -

Yea, that’s what they told me.

However, given I already have a couple aftermarket cables, I may just leave the stock one alone now - as any modification could hurt resale value if I ever do decide to part with the U12T.

I find even with the memory wire, it isn’t that bad so long as you’re using a foam tip like the stock ones - because there is greater positive traction keeping the IEM in your ear - so wire jostles (which are harder to live with in a memory-wire situation) don’t unseat the IEM from my ear - unlike with silicones and the memory wire.

I guess if I become ambitious one day, I may try it. If I do, I will share :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How versatile are these on different daps or even an iphone?

Looking to pick up a really good iem. Maybe this or the ie900…

1 Like

How are you enjoying these? Any headphone that you could say they resemble a little bit? Thinking about picking them up.

The U12T?

Um. Hmm.

They are fairly warm/bassy with the M15 module.

Everything is rendered well, if not a bit boring sometimes. Downside of a true all rounder.

1 Like