About the General Headphone Discussion category

Hey there! First of all, welcome to the forum!

You might want to take a look at the “getting starting” guide for some additional information about how we use “trust levels”.

The good news is that your friendly neighbourhood moderators check this fairly often, so there shouldn’t be much delay in your message approval. Also, though it’s true that if we can continue this conversation here for long enough the issue will resolve itself-- can I suggest finding another topic to post in? The introductions thread is a great place to start.

1 Like

Hey Guys,

Hello Peeps. The same BIG POPPA from Seattle on Head-fi. Still putting meets together up here.

2 Likes

Hi, Sony user since 2015s, and I’m planning to get a new one this year, I would like to try either Sennheiser or Bose. Beats is quite too flashy for my personality. :slight_smile: I’ve been researching and trying a lot and so far quite impressed with the Sennheiser HD660 bass, response, clarity, and comfort. Bose 700 is also very sleek in its noise-canceling features. Still looking for reviews about the Bose 700. Any recommendations based on your experiences? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Mitchie23.

1 Like

First, Welcome!

Second, please give us some context about how and where you use your headphones? Are they for travel? Home? What kind of music, and how does the music get to your headphones? (By which I mean do you stream, use a music player, a phone, etc.)

2 Likes

whenever i tryt to make a post it tells me access denied. so i have to type here.
help?

There is a restriction in place for new users… it helps cut down the noise of knee jerk topic creating when similar topics already exist. For instance the need of general headphone advice… read through the topics use The search function etc to help locate the thread/topic that can help you and post there.

Also all new users go through a trial period where their posts need to be approved before going up in the forum. This also cuts down on noise and spam posts

2 Likes

I am currently listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmnfG8LIJ3k , I love this song!

2 Likes

So sorry, wrong link! Haha!

That make two of us, although some of the wireless headphones as step the game up with sound quality. I still go for wired headphones.

Thank you for creating this category. Actually i was looking for guidelines to buy new headphones for me.
So which headphones you will suggest me to buy?
Actually, i am looking to buy wireless headphones this time.
I love to play games that’s why want to buy.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Jesica. I’m a wired headphone guy, so I’ll let the more bluetooth knowledgeable members weigh in. I have a pair of Bose Soundlinks and a set of Sennheiser PXC-550 v2 headphones. Both work well for me, but I’m not gaming with them; mostly TV and youtube video usage. You might also want to comment on how you are going to power the bluetooth headphones? Are you open to IEMs? And your approximate $$ budget…

2 Likes

Hello!

I’m a happy owner of a Focal Clear headphone, and usually use it to listen to digital content. But recently I wanted to start to use the Clear to appreciate my vinyl collection. When using loudspeakers, I always use the “Low cut” / subsonic filter on my integrated amplifier while playing records. I know you know the reason, but just for context, taking from the internet:

“you may notice your woofers being pushed back & forth, even though you are listening at a moderate level. This is due to the subsonic energy that the cartridge is retrieving but is below our listening capability, though the amplifier & loudspeakers will try to reproduce this. Not to mention that there are not acoustic instruments that can play so low. The Low Cut Filter will cut off the low frequency energy that you are not able to hear and spare your amplifier of the heavy, unnecessary load.”

So, because of all that, I always use this “Low cut” / subsonic filter on the amplifier, to prevent this unnecessary load of the speakers (or even a damage).

But, neither my headphone amplifier nor my phono stage have this feature.

So, my question is: not using the “Low cut” / subsonic filter can cause a damage to the headphone?

Thanks in advance!

I don’t know about the possible harmful effects but if you are using eq you can get the same result by filtering everything below 20 or 30hz.

Hi @NickZ ! Unfortunately I don’t use any EQs… :frowning:

A post was merged into an existing topic: General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

Moderation is fine, but I can’t even find a button to submit a new thread FOR approval. Maybe it’s hiding in a color theme.

New users can’t create threads until they’ve been an active member for a while.

The culture of this site is not to create new threads for everything (it’s not Reddit etc.). The various “General” threads are where you want to start. And while they’re long, any signed-in user automatically sees them from the last post they read, not the top.

2 Likes

Hi, this is Rod, Gadget Goober on Reddit. Saying hi for the first time here.

I have over 700 cans collected over 25 years. My white whale is the sexy silver pioneer se-15.

Does anyone have one for sale?
I’m in USA and can pay immediately. By the way, a small sample of my collection… I am retiring soon in order to review each and every can, archive and create a database, image gallery and just for posterity! Hi everyone!

I know this should be in buy and sell but I tried everything and I’m blocked, do I have to be a more active person first? I wanna be a long time member, now that I’m retiring and can contribute more.

I mod a LOT. I love building cars and I work as an engineer. Good to meet everyone!

Hello @HeadphoneHistorian yes, you need to do what you’re doing and be active for a few days, then you’ll be able to make new posts instead of just reply. Welcome. Reviewing 700 cans should take up a significant part of your retirement. I suggest you buy at least 3 DACS and 3 AMPS then you can do a few more reviews. P(706,3), or 351,876,320.

Are you retiring early?

1 Like