About the Official AMP/DAC/DAP Model Discussion category

Every AMP/DAC gets its own thread. This is the spot to post impressions, questions or advice about a specific AMP/DAC model. If you want to add a new model, send me a message.

A post was split to a new topic: Curious about Cross-Feed

Could we start a thread for the Astell & Kern Kann Alpha? I’m particularly interested in it’s comparison to the Kann Cube.

1 Like

I know some of here goes to other forum and asked things about the Kann Alpha model …I just want to give some feedback of this model after having bought 2 of them one from a supposed non-official Chinese Dealer (with 1.01CN firmware) and one from a 100% certified French dealer with (1.01CM firmware)…
And after 2 months trying to use it =>these are my feedbacks

First you have to disconnect totally AKConnect as it is an unacceptable, amazing garbage piece of software !!! is automatically fall asleep every 10 to 15 minutes if you don’t touch anything (button, volume, screen,…), and it doesn’t memorize at all the playlist or the music you were listening before getting asleep automatically (so, it is a real pain to have all the selection and path to redo)…

Without AKconnect, you lose definitely any possibility to be a DLNA media renderer for your smartphone or your Notebook, PC etc, as A&K is restricting most of the android software !!! so no DLNA render are available in A&K apks list authorization. More over Kann Alpha can’t get BT5.0 Input like many can do for years (including WM1A in LDAC 990kps/24bits/96Khz)

DS Audio software (which is one rare apk allowed by A&K) can output native FLAC or DSD issued from an UPNP server only through a another DLNA renderer and not through Toslink:

a) from the Kann Alpha via DS Audio, you can choose to output the music to an external dlna renderer which can own some more powerful and proper PEQ compatible with any AutoEQ and even output DSD to that external renderer like a Home Cinema Amp to play lossless DSD on external speakers (like with IOS or Android smartphones).

b) it makes Synology diskstation totally accessible without drops … but with no 4G access as you can’t use android Bubbleupnp from outside your home (one simple way to access your Synology server from anywhere in FLAC/DSD mode)

c) strangely Kann Alpha can do some multitasking with playing music from the SD reader to any headphone connected to the 4.4mm/3.5mm output and be able to play music with DS Audio from a Synology Server to an external dlna renderer ( … though the Kann Alpha is as usual rather slow compared most of my other DAP and smartphones).

Now, there are some really nice feature, that will make the Kann Alpha a keeper in my situation.

1. it’s really compact for the available quality and power and makes it a nice combination with a IER-Z1R or Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas (The WM1A is lacking some power with a HEDDphone by HEDD, and my other solution is a CENTRANCE M8V2 which is well powered but too bulky and uncomfortable to charge when attached to a Fiio M11 or WM1A USB-C or BT-APTX)

2. Toslink output is efficient and makes the Kann Alpha easy to be a good source for of a power desktop solution

3. Sound and power are above average (Kan Alpha is above at least my M9, M11, R6rpro, Windows Notebook) but a bit behind my WM1A in music quality and clearly behind M8 V2 in power to drive difficult headphones.

4. Compatible with the tiny and comfortable Sony remote control Rmt-nws20 (I prefer to use this remote than manipulate a DAP while listening music)

5. The GEQ and PEQ are also halfway to be satisfying with 20 bands, but with very limited action in DB and Q, luckily it does the job rather well with my HEDDphone, IER-Z1R, Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas.

6. I bought The CD ripper MKII, which is a nice feature , though again there is a conceptual mistake as you can’t charge the Kann Alpha at the same time you are using the CD Ripper to rip your CD or play CD.

7. Though there is like no advanced DLNA renderer as AKconnect should have been, but is more or less just garbage, the Kann alpha can access nicely to all of my music sources :

2x1Tb of SD via internal sd and a very small external USB-C OTG SD reader at the same time

Qobuz is fully functional in Hires with the possibility to download 50Gb lossless playlists in internal memory (for travelling in planes) and, of course, access to all Qobuz Hires/Lossless Catalog through a rather stable link to any wifi/4G access point (from smartphones in trains)

DS Audio is working nicely with memorizing where you are, but with a limitation that makes impossible to access my Synology server through internet with 4G (via DSAudio through Bubbleupnp Synology server add-on).

These 7 features, makes the Kann Alpha a bit unique, so I decided to keep it and I still hope/dream Astell&Kann will be able to be more serious and produce a AKconnect function without automatic sleep (this feature in the parameters has strictly no effect) and I hope it will be able to memorize last used playlist and place you are when you stop playing music like all my other DAPs.

I would say, as the Kann Alpha is right now, it’s be a nice desktop source (with CD Ripper II) and can be instantly disconnected from the external AMP/DAC and continue listening my active playlist, just by attaching the headphone from the desktop amp to the kann alpha => I would say, I am almost free at home to listen music where I want and when I want with the same headphone

I bought it, so I keep it, but I hope another brand will produce a more serious item (Good Sound, Good Power, Toslink Output, a good CD player/ripper like the Kann Alpha, but with a much better/serious/solid firmware).

But, definitely, I don’t recommend this DAP.

1 Like

Can we get a thread for the JDS Labs Element III? I just discovered it tonight, and I’m a little upset that this has been completely off my radar until now.

At first blush, this looks to be an amazing product. JDS chose to focus on all the right things here and ended up with a contender for the highest value product at its price point, bar none. Going to pick one of these up.

Can you add the Fiio K9 pro ess?

Some times its better to stay with the Big Players, for their support is usually better.