Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC

Looks amazing. Congratulations.

3 Likes

Don’t want to derail this thread but just followed the link and read about TU8600, that’s a serious kit right there! Did you built it yourself and how was the experience?

I’ve been totally absorbed getting to “know” and enjoy my 1266 TC over the past 24 hours and I can say that it is exactly as I had expected it to sound - fitting in virtually dead center between the SR1a and the LCD-4 in terms of tonality and “feel”. It’s not often that a product that’s so hyped and which you have such high expectations for actually meets and then exceeds those expectations. I’m only at my first 24 hours with it. It will only sound better with additional break-in and I adjust the fit and find the right settings on the TT2 for different genres, artists, and recordings.

Having used the SR1a for almost two months with 200+ hours of listening time, I learned how to adjust its driver wings and the positioning of it to get the best possible sound out of whatever I’m listening to. This experience made adjusting the TC a lot easier. I got the hang of adjusting the TC to sit comfortably on my head as well as the positioning of the drivers for optimal sound in 10~15 minutes. I actually find the TC quite comfortable. For me, it does not feel or awkward at all. But, then, I find the LCD-4 comfortable as well so the TC almost feels featherweight. YMMV

As expected, the build quality is stunning. As odd as it may look, it really is an extraordinary piece of modern design, engineering ingenuity and manufacturing acumen. I was a bit concerned how well this headphone will fit based on some of the things I’ve been reading but I really find the TC be a very comfortable headphone that I can enjoy for hours on end without any fatigue. I guess I’m a bit lucky that this headphone just conformed so easily and nicely to my particular head shape. I can even head bang to metal music without any worry that it will fall off. Haha. I can’t do that with the SR1a. :slightly_smiling_face:

Now, as for the sound, where do I start? I started out with the TT2’s SE HP output on the front and was immediately impressed and provided a sound that I had been envisioning in my head for well over a year now. Of all the headphones I own and have owned in the past, the TC is by far the most well balanced from the lows to the highs. Perhaps the mid-mids are a bit recessed, creating an aural illusion of a “scooped” EQ curve with extended lows and highs but, to my ears, the tonality sounds fairly flat and balanced to headphones that I’ve had extensive time with: SR1a, LCD-4, HD800S, LCD-3, LCDi4, Layla, Beyerdynamic T1 2G, and the Susvara which I borrowed for a few months.

The TC definitely has a serious “wow factor” about it - mainly in the deep bass that just seems to keep digging even deeper and deeper just when you feel like it possibly can’t. Perhaps that’s why they decided to call the company’s name “Abyss”? :grinning: The bass is deep but there is incredible clarity to it along with texture. You can analyze the bass sound and understand why the artist/band/composer/producer “designed” that particular sound for that song or composition. The bass is always coherent, tight and punchy. Even with bass-heavy genres, not once did I sense that the TC would lose its grip on the lows. The TC is the undisputed master of the lows and the lows have no choice but to follow.

The midrange is indeed a tad recessed compared to the the lows and highs but still prominent enough and extremely well detailed. It’s not the warm, lush and forward kind of mids that the LCD-4 puts out or the hyper clear, cool and detailed mids of the SR1a but somewhere right in between: somewhat drier than the LCD-4 but gutsier and more driving than the SR1a. The TC does the modern rock, metal, and PHAT synth EDM sounds extraordinarily well. I can’t say I’ve heard every TOTL cans out there but the consensus seems to be that the TC does these genres better than any and it really is hard to imagine something better for such genres. I need more time with the TC, of course, but I do think vocals is one area where it falls slightly short of the SR1a and the LCD-4. I will certainly reexamine this after the 200-hour burn-in.

The treble range can be considered slightly on the bright side and I know that some people didn’t like the TC for this reason. I have a high tolerance for treble and actually like to hear a lot of treble and high-mids - hence my partiality for headphones like the SR1a and the HD800S. Perhaps this has somewhat to do with my love for classical music - especially the sound of the string section and instruments like the violin, flute and the piano reaching the highest notes. The same goes for opera sopranos. I love high notes - as long as they are not harsh, piercing or grating, of course! The TC’s high register has none of these undesirable aspects of treble but it’s not what I’d call silky sweet either but let’s see how it all sounds after a couple of weeks of break-in.

The soundstage and imaging are superb. It’s not as wide horizontally like the SR1a or the HD800S but has greater depth and height. In some ways and depending on the genre and styles of music, depth and height are more important than width. For large scale classical orchestral works or epic soundtracks, wide soundstage is certainly preferred but for modern pop, rock, EDM, metal, etc. the extra width may sound unnatural. I find the TC’s soundstage quite large and satisfactory but in a different way from that of the SR1a and the HD800S.

Imaging-wise, I don’t think the TC matches the SR1a’s super precise pinpoint placement of the different instruments and voices across the stage but it isn’t far off. The powerful and defined bass more than makes up for it as the SR1a’s bass - as clear and beautiful as it can be - just can’t match the TC in that area. The TC and SR1a (as well as the LCD-4) are such different types of headphones that I don’t think they can even be meaningfully compared but they are both for the same kind of thing - the ultimate resolution - so it seems comparing the two just can’t be avoided.

After staring out with the TT2’s SE output yesterday, I tried the TT2’s XLR outs and, finally, the TToby’s speaker taps. Going to the XLRs was a significant improvement. Everything sounded fuller, bigger, livelier, and punchier with no perceptible loss of clarity. I thought I’d be satisfied with this but I had to try out the speaker taps. When I finally did (and which is what I’m listening to now as I type this), I was shocked and totally blown away by how much better everything sounded. If going from SE to XLRs was like a 20% improvement, going from XLR’s to the speaker taps was like 60~70% improvement. The TC now sounds *HUGE from top to bottom, from left to right, and front-to-back. The lows punch with amazing speed, complex textures and with total effortlessness. The mids are now more defined, strengthened and distinct than they were before. The treble clarity now seems to extend to the regions where we can’t hear anymore and does so without a hint of harshness.

The most impressive aspect of the 1266 TC is how incredibly coherent everything is. So far, I have set the EQ completely flat and not had any urge to tweak it even a little across a huge range of musical genres and styles. Everything just sounds right or “correct”. I can go from a Beethoven symphony to Tool or from Miles Davis to Lady Gaga or from Alison Krauss to Pink Floyd and not have to touch anything. I simply cannot do this with either the SR1a or the LCD-4 without making some EQ/filter adjustments to find the ideal setting when making such drastic changes.

I’m not even at 24 hours in terms of listening time but the TC has indisputably become my number one HP. But, no, the TC does not make me want to ditch the SR1a or the LCD-4. In fact, I have come to appreciate those two headphones even more for what they do so well. As I mentioned before, I’ve long abandoned the search or pursuit of one “endgame” or “best” headphone. I believe that such a headphone is simply not possible in the same way that one guitar cannot be the “be-all end-all” for any one guitar player. There are just too many musical genres, styles, and tastes and people also hear things very differently with their particular biases.

Well, these are just my initial impressions after the first day. I’m sure that I will share more after I’ve put in 200 hours of my actual listening time, not just burn-in. I expect the 1266 TC to keep improving just as I’ve experienced with the SR1a, LCD-4, HD800S, LCDi4, and Layla in the past and which I still all own and plan to keep. That’s the great thing about audio gear. As often as we always want more or to upgrade, once you find something really really good, it can very well become a lifelong companion. It won’t go obsolete like tech gear and gadgets. Ultimately, what matters is how one bonds and grows with a piece of gear like this. Here are some pics of the 1266 TC after joining the family and fitting in nicely.

16 Likes

Wow, this is a fantastic impressions writeup. I can see that a huge amount of time and thought has gone into it.

3 Likes

Excellent writeup. The family looks healthy.

Does this mean you’ve found that perfect guitar tone that I believe you’ve been searching for, or is that quest also impossible?

Which of these is most sensitive to the insertion of the HMS in the chain?

If applicable, do any of these trigger the greatest emotional response?

2 Likes

Well, in regards to that ‘Holy Grail’ guitar tone, it’s an ever-evolving thing and is mainly dependent on the player’s own hands, not the gear. A guitar player can’t really buy his way into having that ultimate tone. So I’ve given up on that. Haha.

I haven’t really tried toggling the HMS in and out but I’ll have to try that. It’s just one of those things that are constantly on and forgotten. I’ve been trying out different filters on the TT2 more based on the HP or music I’m listening to but the HMS is just always on and does its thing.

Someone asked if the HMS was really necessary for something like EDM so I gave that a try and found for music like that with little dynamic range or nuance and is just pummeling at you, it’s really not needed and that bypassing it even sounds better. It made the TT2 sound a little punchier with a grinding edge. I may need to try bypassing the HMS with rock and metal.

In terms of triggering the greatest emotional response, I think it really depends on what I’m listening to on a given moment and when a particular HP and gear setting just finds the synergy with a particular genre, artist and/or recording. Essentially, I’m using the SR1a for nuanced music, the TC for energetic stuff and the LCD-4 to get an intimate and cozy feel but, of course, they can all be used across various genres and styles, etc. It’s about finding the right match, so to speak, for the genre, artist, recording, and also your particular mood. They all sound great but they also each do something better than the other(s).

It’s early but I think I can already say that the 1266 TC is going to be my main all-around HP, my main axe, if you will. :grinning: It sounds really great with whatever I throw at it - including classic rock and blues. Still doesn’t mean that I won’t get the ZMF VC with a matching tube partner later! And the Susvara! And… and… :wink:

2 Likes

The above reminds of Lance Armstrong’s book titled “It’s not about the bike.”

I should have clarified, my question about searching for that perfect guitar tone related to headphone listening and your comment above.

That makes sense and is informative. I’m looking forward to how how you respond and find the ZMF VC with a single ended tube amp.

Congrats! It seems those that enjoy 1266 sonics, really love it and hold it in the highest regard.

1 Like

Another amazing thing I’ve discovered with the TC is that it seems to “morph” or “program” itself to sound great or at least really good with virtually any genre you throw at it. I thought that perhaps it may be too resolving and unforgiving for some things (like classic rock, blues and oldies from the 50’s through the 60’s with less than good original recording quality) but that has not turned out to be the case at all.

Guitars sound great and authentic. They sound right and I have the EQ set flat. I haven’t even touched the EQ with the TC. With the SR1a and the LCD-4, I have half-dozen different presets each that I toggle through for certain genres and different recordings. I don’t need to do this at all with the TC. I expected the TC to be great for electronic, metal, EDM, modern pop, epic soundtracks, and classical but I didn’t have high expectations for rock, blues and roots-oriented stuff. I can honestly say that the TC does that stuff really, really well. I was kind of shocked this stuff sounded so good.

I’m still very curious about the ZMF VC and a good tube partner like the Pendant and the Mogwai SE. Been reading up on the likes of DNA, Feliks, Decware and Quicksilver as well but, for now, I’m going to just focus on “learning” the TC for a good long while. With how amazingly good the TC sounds with the TToby speaker amp, I’ve abandoned any thought I had about getting some endgame (i.e. very expensive) head amp. Well, at least for a good long while.

I think I can finally lay off on the spending and just enjoy for a while and wait it out until the “itch” starts coming back. Haha. Thanks. Maybe when we are all vaccinated and things return to somewhat normal we can hang out sometime in SoCal. I’d love to demo the ZMF VC someday. Moving forward, I’m going to demo things before making major commitments. Making these major gear purchases “blind” (albeit with tons of online research) can be somewhat stressful! Haha.

2 Likes

It also has mutant powers?! I kid. Fidelity and forgiveness are usually inversely related, but glad the TC is versatile and fully delivering.

Authenticity in all things is key.

It goes without saying, but you’re in a great spot with your setup to just learn and enjoy. With both of us in SoCal, I also was going to propose meeting up sometime. I hear you on trying to demo things before making major commitments and I seek to do the same. Stressful indeed, mitigated with the appropriate research and due diligence, but not completely! Stay in touch.

3 Likes

With both of us in SoCal, I also was going to propose meeting up sometime. I hear you on trying to demo things before making major commitments and I seek to do the same. Stressful indeed, mitigated with the appropriate research and due diligence, but not completely! Stay in touch.

Let me know, I’m in SoCal too. Gotta wait for my 2nd shot later this month. I’d love to compare the TC with the standard Phi, there’s supposed to be a driver revision, but I can’t find anyone whose done an analysis of the difference. And I have some cool stuff to contribute to a meet.

5 Likes

A familiar name - welcome! Pleasure to have you here, your vids a joy to watch. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! I also have to get my second shot in a couple weeks. That would be pretty valuable and cool to do a comparison of the standard Phi and TC drivers. I’ll definitely reach out to you as we coordinate things.

I enjoy your videos! I own a VC and am considering the Utopia, for pairing with a Mogwai SE (owned) or DNA amp (demoed).

1 Like

Thanks! I have the Woo Audio WA5LE V2 for pairing. Big, big amp, but a sweet sound. 8 Watts!

4 Likes

Awesome! I’d like to get my ears on that 8 watts of 300B goodness!

Ah now I recognise the name. I like your online shows very much. They have a real zany flavour to them which I love. I like your iem reviews being an iem guy myself. Keep up the great work sir.

Great post. Neat set up too dude.

1 Like

Difference between the Phi and Phi TC is mostly just refinement in terms of technicalities. The tonal balance is mostly the same, with the one exception that the TCs have less sibilance.

5 Likes

There is definitely that Abyss “house sound”, for sure. Obviously, it isn’t going to suit everyone. For lack of a better description, it has a slightly “scooped” tonal character in that both the bass and the treble are forward. It’s an exciting and energetic sound with superb technical performance across the board.

I’m very familiar with the Audeze house sound since I’ve owned the LCD-3 and still own the LCD-4. It’s not for everyone either. It’s the same with the SR1a that I have, which is at the opposite end of the spectrum from Audeze’s LCD’s. But I love them all. That’s what makes this hobby so fun.

With these three, I feel like I can cover pretty much every genre, sound, feel and mood. But, of course, now I see that I’m going to need three very different amps to mix and match! Haha.

2 Likes

I’m hoping my refined WA33EE which Woo made more quite then the 2 QC units comes back before weekend. I am dying to listen to my 1266 TC with Holo May KTE. The 1266 is one headphone that has to stay forever even if I don’t use it.

1 Like

Well, I am now in the waiting line. My wallet is staring quizzily up at me, wondering what’s wrong with my head buying 2 TotL headphones shortly after one another! I reply sheepishly that it will soon be over … soo sooo … just an amp for daddy, and you will rest in peace forever, dear wallet …

1 Like