AmpsandSound Amplifiers and Speakers builder

Same experience here. Huge difference swapping the rectifier. I have 4 different brands that all ‘do their thing’. The best one will eliminate most noise issues with a number of 6SL7 tubes and make the amp much more dynamic and holographic.
Any experience with the Bendix tubes 6384?

2 Likes

I have a friend who has a stash of bendex and the drawings too. Anything Bendex is incredible in my experience. I use a couple of the 6900’s he gave me and they are on another level.

2 Likes

6384 and the 6889 are fantastic choices. really just a 6l6gb that was designed never to die… so it can be used as a GC.

3 Likes

I have managed to get hold of ‘enough’ 6384’s but the 6889’s are impossible to find. Are they similar sounding?

1 Like

A question for you @ampsandsound :
The auto bias of the Mogwai SE - does this system level out a pair of power tubes that are not measuring 100% identical?

Old GE to my ears give you a sound with more control, better edges definition if we look at the thing as if it was a picture. It’s something I really appreciate.

2 Likes

Totally agree. My favorite tubes of that era are Bendax, Kenrad, GE and occasionally Mullard, though those could be hit or miss. Some of the Raytheons were really good too.

1 Like

Its a cathode bias scheme… in short, there is not balance/referencing the other power tube. Id suggest power tube matching isn’t as large as a concern as balanced triodes. Ive used mismatched tubes for years and really couldnt hear it unless it was really really wrong.

3 Likes