Ampsandsound Mogwai

I think we need your definition of “high quality” to help answer this question for you.

If your definition is “perfect reproduction of the source audio” or “zero noise floor”, then I think you’re 100% correct. The Mogwai is not a high quality amp with those definitions and if those are your goals, I would agree that you should avoid the Mogwai like the plague. Also avoid any vintage amp by McIntosh and DIY kits from companies like Bottlehead. All these amps change the sound of the input, may introduce noise, and some even add very noticeable distortions. Also avoid turntables because they need to be grounded correctly and sometimes, even when grounded, have a noticable hum when the volume is turned up loudly. Also avoid high sensitively speakers like those from Klipsch because their horns often have an audible hiss, especially if you pause the music and put your ear right up to the speaker.

If your definition of “high quality” is “built with high quality components” or “built by hand in a way that could be repaired for a lifetime by anyone” or “produces sound in a pleasing way to my ears”, then it could definitely be argued that the Mogwai is very high quality.

Noise is very much a subjective thing and some people really don’t care about minor noise because they enjoy everything else about the experience. Some other people (like youself) DO care about noise and that is also totally fine, but it doesn’t mean the product is “low quality”.

4 Likes

High quality was not the term I used, it was used above by @monochromios and I was simply using his verbiage.

In response to your other commentary, in lieu of posting duplicate posts across several threads I will respond in the main ampandsound thread where the noise discussion originated.

3 Likes

Thanks :call_me_hand:t3: :heart: I am super please that I got rid of the noise. I am guessing the input tube was just damaged in some way. I did try tapping it a few times and also tapped all the tubes but didn’t change anything.
My transformer does make a slight noise wen I turn the amp on. I don’t hear it in the headphones so doesn’t bother me at all . I only hear it wen I put my head next to the amp. But I guess this is normal?
Sounds like I am turning on a reactor :grin: I like it.
Going the keep the mains multi socket as it will protect my gear and wasn’t expensive.
I did the mistake of throwing in the bin the box for IFI dc blocker that wasn’t cheap so I guess I may be stuck with it.
Maybe a search thru the bin mite be needed :nauseated_face: :rofl:

3 Likes

Here is a good question for all of you.
If I buy the same tubes that are on the kenzie. So 12SL7GT input and 1626
Will this make it sound “similar” / “close” to a kenzie?

1 Like

AFAIK you can’t use the 1626 as a replacement for KT88s

1 Like

Oh ok so 1626 wont fit in the mogwai?
Thanks for answering my question

1 Like

Just fitted some KT88 with the input tube 6sn7
Wen I try and fit the 5ar4 rectifier tube it blows the fuse of the amp everytime i turn it on.
As soon as I fit the original 5u4gb(one it came with) it will work again.
Are some tubes not compatible with each other?
Also the 5ar4 I have seems smaller than the 5u4gb. Is this normal?

Could be a bad rectifier, I had a 5U4G that blew the fuse on my Status,.
Was tested before it shipped, probably damaged in transit. Vendor replaced it with an identical tube that worked fine.

3 Likes

I run 5AR4 with 6SL7 without issues. Both from Tung-Sol.

2 Likes

What procedure does everyone take to replace tubes.
Every time i replaced a tube it seems to blow the next 3 fuses.
Do i need special fuse? What fuses does everyone else use?

If you’re blowing fuses, something is wrong. I would discontinue use until I figure out what that was.

4 Likes

I have tried using a different iec leads and plugin in to a different wall socket but if I replace a tube or unplug the amp then plug it back in even with cold tubes it blows the next few fuses.
I am really confused to what would be causing this. Got a few amps/dacs never had this before.
I did contact Justin and he did say that if the tubes are not left to cool down this will happen.
But even If I do let them fully cool down before unplugging or even just replace a tube from cold(next day) it still blows.
Need help solving this. What procedure do you guys take for changing tubes? What fuse does everyone have in the amp? Mines a 750mA fast blow fuse.
Has no one else had this issue?

That sounds like bad insulation or crossed wiring. It’s not normal and a sign of a serious problem. Perhaps the solder melted in use and then shorted a couple lines. The only way to know is a hands-on inspection by a qualified person.

3 Likes

If I just leave it plug in it works no problem all the time.
I only get a issue if I unplug the amp or replace a tube(that you need to unplug to replace a tube is my understanding).

Take this seriously. In conjunction with your noise issues, there may be a serious problem in the amp or your house wiring.

1 Like

I agree, and I would think that the internals needs to be examined by qualified persons.

@Essentials - Think about it for a sec. The fuse is rated for what? (I’m asking, I don’t know what Justin puts in there.) 10A? 20 amps?

120V x 20amps = 2400 watts. :anguished:

Do you really think the Mog should ever draw that much? Hint: No

If you’re the original owner, I would be getting warranty service on it ASAP.

2 Likes

The fuse is a 750mA fuse so a very small fuse.
I will be contacting Justin as soon as possible.
It may be that I mite be using the wrong fuse :man_shrugging:t3:
Only had it a week but did this from day one.

1 Like

The fuse must be 750 or 800 mA 250v slow blow.
If you respect these parameters fuse don’t have to go that way.
@ProfFalkin and @generic wrote you it’s better to have a check.

Been replacing them with 750mA Fast blow as that’s the only ones I could get hold of.
I’m not sure that this would be the cause but will speak to Justin and ask.

1 Like

Justin gave me the specs above so I believe it’s important that they are respected.
Drop him a line and check.
I hope you solve ASAP the issue.

1 Like