Audeze Maxwell Wireless Planar Magnetic Gaming Headphones - Official Discussion Thread

I’m not going to open up that whole can of worms but… Project red vs Zero is the perfect demonstration of why hardly anyone in the IEM community takes Harman IE seriously. Crin even interviewed Dr. Olive to confirm his suspicions about why that target turned out the way it did, and I tend to agree with his points on that as well.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll look it up.

Regarding the Maxwell vs Aeon 2 Noire, are you saying that they are pretty much comparable and up to individual taste? Because that would make the Maxwells a steal considering the $300 vs $900 price.

Everything is sort of down to individual taste… If you want more upper treble, go for the noire, if you want more upper mids go for the Maxwell. I do think the Maxwell is a hell of a good value at $300.

4 Likes

Will you have a complete review of Maxwell soon?

1 Like

Sonically, for music, how does Maxwell fair against the XM5? Bose 700? Focal Bathys? etc

If you have thoughts on that be helpful for me

1 Like

Review from Resolve just dropped:

6 Likes

Why the long face @Resolve?

2 Likes

I only have a long face. Resting long face actually.

4 Likes

Yeah I wanted to do more comparisons in the video, but the runtime was already getting up there as there was so much else to cover. For that comparison, I’d say the Maxwell is way better than everything except Bathys - in which case it’s more just… different, with different strengths.

I will say… I do think the Maxwell has a more straightforwardly great tuning than the Bathys, but the Bathys has better dynamics/contrast. But as far as which is better… I’ve personally been struggling with that question as well. I think I’d gravitate to the Bathys still since it is lighter and more comfortable, the ANC is useful and I don’t ever have a use case for the mic. But that’s just me. There’s so much tech packed into the Maxwell that it also makes a good case for itself as a recommendation.

6 Likes

What if you EQ both the Maxwell and the Bathys? How does the soundstage, imaging, etc. compare?
Which is more fun to listen to?

Thanks

1 Like

This is going to vary depending on the person - because even if you EQ them to sound the same, they vary depending on the head that’s wearing them.

I’d think of it like this, if prioritize weight/comfort/ANC go for the Bathys. Otherwise go for the Maxwell.

2 Likes

Arggghh, if only the Maxwell would go back in stock in Europe…

Any more impressions and comparisons from forum members?

My impatience is tempting me to consider the Bathys, but at a rational level it looks like the Maxwell are better (not to mention the huge price difference).

1 Like

Received my set today.

So far so good. Impressive for the price for sure.

The lack of vertical cup / headband extension is interesting. I’ve set the suspension strap to the largest each side and thankfully it fits ok. So should fit most fine.

No niggles yet. Plug and play, or connect and play.

Latency in BT seems good too. Will game tonight and test some more.

6 Likes

More testing.

Latency is good, very capable gaming headset. Microphone also very good.

For music is pleasant. No complaints. The EQ is great, though odd I can’t just adjust it and set. Need to have music playing from the device. Minor gripe.

No disconnects or software issues at all yet, which is pleasant. Has a input/output mixer too, easily adjust game sounds relative to mic sounds.

5 Likes

Damn Audeze missed a great opportunity with the Maxwell. If only it was more portable and had anc. A whole other market segment. I would’ve jumped all over it. It sounds better than the px8 and my Bathys. One of the best closed backs I’ve heard period.

2 Likes

Fyi the wireless dongle works with Android - the UAPP and Fiio music apps plays fine. Sound is thinner and doesn’t sound as good as from a pc usb.

2 Likes

Hi @Resolve, i just recevied my unit yesterday and i think the sound quality come with USB in vs BT dongle is diffirent (i think usb input is louder and maybe more forward mid). Could you pls measure the frequency response of this headphone with USB input too?

1 Like

It sounds like they’ve done some sort of dsp trickery to affect the imaging. It really seems quite pinpoint and elements stand out such as vocals, and the rest surround the stereo field. I haven’t heard imaging and detail like this before in a headphone. It is very different.

1 Like

What other headphones have you tried? How would you rank them?

Thanks

I work in a hifi shop so Ive heard a great msny models. As far as closed backs go i think the best are Stellia, Radiance, Lcdxc, lcd 2 closed, Aeon x closed Aeon Noir. The Maxwell is right up in this mix. Great tuning and great/unique technical performance.

2 Likes