Audeze Maxwell Wireless Planar Magnetic Gaming Headphones - Official Discussion Thread

That’s like my dream job haha. Maybe one day I’ll have the opportunity to open a local one (we only have two good ones in the metro area).

1 Like

I’ve tried all of those. Maxwell is my personal favorite. I feel the detail retrieval is very good, and it’s easy to eq.

2 Likes

Been waiting for the past month, and still waiting for my pair to arrive :melting_face:.

Has anyone tried the wicked cushions pads for the Maxwell? They just got released and according to the measurements done in this video by a YouTuber, and that despite the deeper dimensions, they surprisingly change the frequency response only minimally:

Apart from the cooling gel/breathabiliy etc, those of you that have problems with pad depth/seal may see improvements from this pair of pads as well, though they are a fair bit heavier than the stock pads.

1 Like

I got mine in recently. While I am impressed by the sense of space here for a closed back and the sense of separation/incisiveness during busier tracks, I have to say the dynamics are probably some of the weakest area for these imo. I’m probably spoiled by the dynamism and zippiness of my LCD-5s but these seem to have some softness/fuzziness to its transients that make for a very laid back but less exciting/engaging listen. And the mic leaves much to be desired… a mixed bag right now.

1 Like

I got some wicked cushion pads for these the other day. For me the stock pads were a bit spicy, and I find the new pads very cozy and are a huge recommend.

I think those pads will work with the MM-100 but have yet to see Audeze respond on Twitter.

I haven’t actually tried the mic yet as I’m largely down to single-player games these days. Have been really enjoying the Maxwells with Diablo 4. Final Fantasy XVI just dropped today as well and I can’t wait to experience that soundtrack with the Maxwells!

Going from the Mobius to the Maxwells, I’d say the Maxwells are a step up in a number of ways for me except for in comfort as the weight difference is noticeable. But I also understand that people had some issues with the build on the Mobius and there were some changes made on the Maxwell to make them sturdier so it was hard to get around the weight there.

After spending about 2 months with the Maxwells I’m pretty impressed with them so far. I’ve yet to really dive into the app experience or EQ profiles though so still a lot to play around with!

3 Likes

Yea, fair assessment. To be honest, after acclimating more to the Maxwell, I don’t have as many gripes with them as I initially had. I think part of the issue is that I daily-drive my LCD-5s and its not a fair comparison to make by any means, but once I grew accustomed to them I’ve accepted their more chill, laid back sound in comparison to the more intense characteristics of the 5. To reiterate, I am still impressed with the technical capability and relatively spacious imaging within its price-point (and it helps that I can use this one in the office too!).

2 Likes

I just got these today. I had heard these a couple times at CanJam SoCal 2023. Last week I purchased an open box Focal Bathys (which I also heard an CanJam). I already decided that the Maxwell sounded better, but wanted to hear them side by side. This is not even a fair fight.The Maxwell, to my ears, is a considerably better sounding headphone for all genres. Also the Maxwell has a lot more power/volume for older, quieter recordings. The Bathys is better than all the other ANC headphones, but the Maxwell is the best sounding wireless headphone to me. The build quality is great, the app is great. The microphone(s) are way better than on any wireless headsets I have sampled (even without the AI noise cancelling activated). I will be using these for work for music and calls. I will also travel with them. Passive noise suppression on these is not bad. No ANC, no problem. I listed the Focal Bathys for sale four hours ago and already sold them.

4 Likes

@Resolve What custom preset EQ settings do you use in the AudezeHQ app? Thanks!

I wanted to love this but the bathys really puts it to shame in DAC & transparency mode, both are great but there really is no soundstage and the imaging is weird on the Maxwell. This wouldn’t be such a big deal to me if it wasn’t for gaming, which is so imaging/soundstage specific.

Also found that my friends said the bathys mic is much better, so I just use it in DAC mode while I game

I like these headphones, they are really great (although I do prefer the sound of my SA6).
Did anyone compare the sound via usb cable? Is there a noticeable difference compared to the dongle?