Audirvana Studio

Check out the various DMG EQ tools (EQuick, EQuality and EQuilibrium).

3 Likes

Thanks, those look amazing. But maybe something a little less spendy? I’m just trial-ing Audirvana, so I’m not really trying to drop $100+ on a piece of software on top of the cost of Audirvana itself. All the free VSTs I’ve found are either like 3 bands or have locked frequencies.

Honestly, if I’m going to have to spend a ton of money in the long run to get a good eq plugin I’ll probably just revert back to my usual resentment of the price of Audirvana/Roon and uninstall it. For how much it costs, you’d think they could include an eq.

Audio Nova’s Tokio Dawn Records is one I’ve used and that for my needs works fine.
You can try the free version with 3 bands EQ and eventually consider the purchase of the 6 bands one.

1 Like

I agree with you regarding the cost of the software. Is there not a way to trial it for a short period?

Unfortunately these bolt on extra products are a great revenue stream. Though with the costs of some products being out of reach for some of the community.

4 Likes

You can trial the DMG stuff for free.

Otherwise, there may be something covered in this thread, but there’s not really anything I can personally recommend that costs less than EQuick.

Roon does include quite sophisticated, very high quality, EQ and DSP capabilities.

If you were on macOS then Audirvana can use the various system-provided AU plug-ins (which include both 31-band graphic EQ and a PEQ tool, among a host of others). Windows, unfortunately, doesn’t include such things.

Another way to tackle this is to use different player software.

JRiver Media Center (also available as a free trial) has built-in EQ capabilities and less than the price of a year of Audirvana Studio. It is also a perpetual license not a subscription - so you only pay more for JRMC if you want to upgrade it (which happens about once a year). Has a steep learning curve and a complex (and for me, quite ugly) UX, but it’s a very powerful toolbox.

7 Likes

JRiver might be a good option for me, I’ll give it a try. I’m really just looking for a way to put eq in my chain without having to give up bitperfect streaming to my DAC. I resent the whole concept of “software as subscription”, especially when said software is literally nothing more than an interface with no actual function of its own. I guess that makes me “old school” (or just old?) lol

Thanks for the tips. :slight_smile:

The second you put EQ in your chain and make any adjustment AT ALL you are, by definition, no longer bit-perfect.

2 Likes

Quite right, I stand corrected. I think what I mean to say is I would like whatever media app I’m using to maintain exclusive control of the audio signal and sampling rate going out to my DAC. Sticking EQ APO in the middle requires opening up the outgoing stream to all of Windows audio.

2 Likes

I don’t like to shit on companies/products, especially ones that I’ve bought product from, but sometimes it is “necessary” (or, at least, intellectually honest to do so) …

Audirvana have released a non-subscription music-player application, for local files only (NO STREAMING) called “Audirvana Origin” (I’m not going to provide links; use Google).

There was LOTS of consternation about the subscription nature of “Audirvana Studio” as a replacement for the perpetual license of “Audirvana+ 3.5”. The subscription did not, particularly, bother me. But the fact that, at launch, the software wasn’t nearly ready for production did.

I wound up swearing off Audirvana Studio and buying another Roon subscription for my laptop/travel usage.

Almost a year later …

I subscribed, on a monthly plan, to Audirvana Studio to see where things are at. A lot of bugs in “Studio” have been fixed, but by no means all. The interface is still very confused, problematically low-contrast, and there are still many operational issues. It still crashes. Working with Audio Units has issues. I don’t trust it, at all, with DLNA/UPnP devices. Sorting/searching is a mess.

This is still not in a state where I want to pay for it … (and since I bought a second Roon subscription, the only reason to do so AT ALL is because Audirvana is Apple Silicon/M1 native, where as Roon still needs Rosetta2).

So, I’m posting to make you aware of the existence of “Origin”, but also as a caution, and perhaps some annoyance.

The annoyance comes from the fact that “Origin” is clearly a feature-limited version of “Studio”, with all the same non-streaming bugs that “Studio” still has, and with LESS functionality than Audirvana+ 3.5 at a higher cost.

Audirvana+ 3.5 was $79 for a perpetual license, and included streaming support. Origin is $89 as an UPGRADE ($119 as a new purchase), and is less functional (no streaming support), and buggier, than A+ 3.5 …

This makes no sense to me.

Sharks have been well and truly jumped.

12 Likes

I’ve been using the Audirvāna 3.5 but last week it started only playing some songs. Not a big tech person but I couldn’t figure out how to fix it after trying ideas out for 30 minutes. I wish I could figure it out as I’m happy with this software when streaming and like it more than Tidal direct.

I then just reopened my Roon monthly account.
Hopefully I can buy the lifetime warranty before they take it away completely or raise the price again. It’s just a bummer because audirvana for $80 total seems so much better but how do I fix this glitch?! Has anyone dealt with the same problem?