BURSON Soloist 3X Performance - Class A Headphone/Pre Amplifier

Excellent review Tom. Great work.

1 Like

Thank you! :relaxed:

Burson stuff available on headphones.com if anybody is interested! A nice addition @taronlissimore

10 Likes

A pretty comprehensive review from this dude…thought I’d share. Apparently he found it to be more powerful than what the specs were saying, and he also found it to be a great match with the Susvara.

7 Likes

After watching reviews in YouTube and reading many reviews in forums (specially the reviews in this thread) I finally pulled the trigger and upgraded from a THX789 to a Burson Soloist 3XP. I really enjoy the sound and I agree with most of the points mentioned in the previous posts. I also find the headset port to be very handy for me, especially because I work remotely and have plenty of meetings every day.

Also, am I the only one who hear intermitent hissing noises / no sound (in my case in the right side) only during the very few minutes after switch the unit on? It only happens for maybe the first 5 minutes.

7 Likes

Congrats on joining the Burson club!

Regarding your noise, I would email Burson and ask them if that’s usual.

I already turned mine on, otherwise I would check, but if I remember, I’ll check tomorrow. My amp is noise free, but I normally don’t start using it until after it’s been on for several minutes, because I’ve found it sounds a little better after a warm up, so maybe that’s why I’ve never heard it.

3 Likes

Niiice! Congrats! Prepare to forget all about your 789…

Yeah, same. The only hiss I hear is when I plug in an easy-to-drive headphones and switch to high gain but that’s to be expected.

4 Likes

How are the DACs in these Burson units? Do the Bursons compete with offerings by Schiit in terms of value?

SABRE32/ESS9038Q2M. Pretty good. But the DAC is not everything. The implementation and the amps are more important.

2 Likes

How is the implementation with the Bursons… haha

According to my review above quite good. :joy:
For me, the Bursons are reference for neutrality.

Haha I’m just browsing the reviews now. Yours is quite positive! How do you think it compares to its competitors like schiit, topping etc.?

1 Like

So I finally got the chance to use the pre-outs of the Soloist and compare it with that of the RME, and everything that was mentioned earlier in the thread about the headphone section holds true with the pre-amp section. I tested them with some Focal Shape 50s and everything is just “better” than the RME. RME was very clean and precise but is a bit fatiguing with the Shapes specifically. Soloist adds more soundstage and smoothness while retaining all details. A very excellent pre-amp! :ok_hand:

Time to jam out more! :headphones::notes:

4 Likes

I don’t as I only have the Bursons and several DAPs. Compared to the DAPs, the Bursons are neutral while still being vibrant and engaging. You could compare it to the best Astell&Kern DAPs but with more sparkle and impact in my opinion.

1 Like

@zekken , I just turned on my Soloist 3XP and tried listening to a track on both balanced and SE outputs within the first 2-3 minutes, and I couldn’t hear any hiss/noise/lack of sound.

I think it’s worth asking Burson if you have an issue, given that it goes away after a few minutes.

Also, don’t forget to sign up for the additional year of warranty. Honestly, I don’t know why manufacturers do that - why not just give you the additional year without making you carry out an additional step.

6 Likes

Thanks for double-checking this for me. I contacted the Burson team and they replied to me today. Charles from Burson told me that because this issue only shows up in the right channel, he asked me to try to play with the non-discrete op-amps included in the box.

I spend the rest of the day doing tests and I think I found the faulty op-amp, as after changing it, the noise has not been showing up any more (fingers crossed). I am going to send the faulty op-amp back to Burson.

Thanks @PaisleyUnderground for the help! :blush:

7 Likes

Just got an email saying Burson products are shipping now…I was wondering if you guys will have their op-amps as well @taronlissimore? Probably not but I thought I’d ask…

Edit: Taron said they’ll bring their op-amps in sometime in the near future

6 Likes

So you guys know that weird quirk the Soloist has where adjusting volume is inconsistent? Where turning the volume dial up actually lowers the volume at a certain point?

I finally got around to asking Burson about this and they suggested it is a glitch with the volume chip’s programming. So, they sent me a volume chip replacement to see if it fixes the issue…

Finally got it today and the first one didn’t work…it actually disabled everything! So, I tried the extra one they sent (two chips total) and viola! Volume is all good now and issue is fixed…

Just wanted to let y’all know if the “volume issue” with the Soloist bothers some of you that there is a solution. Just hit up Burson email and they’ll send you replacement chips…

It’s very easy to replace…all you need to do is pull out the old volume chip which is the little black chip right next to the volume screen inside…then just pop in the new one and you’re done. Hope this was helpful!

UPDATE: The two chips that were sent to me were different versions and they didn’t know which one I had so they sent both…so try both

12 Likes

:face_with_monocle::thinking:@hifiDJ was this an issue with early units or all soloist units?

1 Like

The only volume-related quirk I have is when it jumps significantly around 51 or 52. Is that what you’re talking about?