BURSON Soloist 3X Performance - Class A Headphone/Pre Amplifier

The stock op-amps should be a nice fit in there since they touch the circular foam cutout adhered to the top of the case. I have indentation marks on mine so I doubt it to be loose at all. But if you have different op-amps in there then it’s a different story. What IEMs do you hear hiss on?

Oh, I should add, it’s not “hiss”. It’s more like current sound when there’s no music playing

Final A8000, it’s 102dB, 16ohms

Not sure about that IEM but maybe you could try swapping out the stock op-amps with the test op-amps they include in their for troubleshooting to see if that fixes it.

Forgot to add, you can also try applying some DW40 to the DIP8 socket for best connection according to Burson. I don’t think it’ll help with your issue but worth a shot if you have some already.

Did you troubleshoot your networking gear? I have returned a dac before only to learn later that it was my networking gear polluting the audio chain. I would unplug everything around you, including networking gear, or bring it to a room with nothing in it, and take another listen to determine if it is indeed the Burson causing the current sound.

Any in-depth SQ comparison between the Burson Solist 3x and the iFi Pro iCan?

Thanks

That could be. I am just using a network supplier one. But they are in a completely different wall socket. Also, I am using PI2AES as a streamer to feed the signal to my DAC. This should well isolate the audio signal noise. But I am not so sure about the power

Anybody looking for an upgrade?

7 Likes

Done pre-ordering. Can’t wait!

1 Like

Happy cake day @hifiDJ !

I was wondering if you could post your impressions of the GSX-mini vs the Soloist, based on your very brief time with it.

1 Like

Thank you!

Sure! I didn’t spend a long time with it but for reference I was using a Focal Celestee on the mini. My impression was it sounded fairly clean with maybe a bit forwardness in the treble. I’ll tell you this though, the GSX-mini did not do the Celestee any favors in the staging department. Anyway, I did notice it having more punch than the GSX-mkII but I was using different headphones for those. In terms of the Soloist, it did sound more coloured (the Soloist). It had more midrange presence/weight and bass maybe wasn’t as tight as the GSX-mini, but the Soloist did have slightly more weight behind it, albeit maybe a bit loose (but fun). Overall, the Soloist sounded smooth and lush by comparison. At the end of the day, the GSX-mini didn’t leave much of an impression. It was nice and sounded real clean but it was honestly a bit boring to me.

One thing I did notice, sonic quality aside, was that the GSX-mini had those holes on it. I mean, I knew it had holes (for air flow) but I realized you’d probably have to open it up eventually when dust collects. Just something to be aware of. Also, it is better built than the Soloist but the Soloist is more lightweight and compact.

Bonus: The Ferrum stuff was sort of in-between these two. Very clean but not boring at all. I used an LCD-X and Utopia (which I’m familiar with) for this. It is very promising! I think it beats both of these in terms of technicalities quite a fair bit, but I suspect it was the PSU (HYPSOS) doing most of the heavy lifting. I know you’re always looking for more amps @PaisleyUnderground. :joy:

6 Likes

Happy Cake day @hifiDJ. Have a good one.

1 Like

I realize it says ending 17th of October. But who knows?

I’d definitely ask them to make sure. Free Supercharger w/ amp purchase sounds like a good deal to me!

2 Likes

:eyes::eyes::eyes:

7 Likes

I’ll leave this here…

Suprise announcement

All pre-ordered GTs will start shipping from 10th November, and we will upgrade their power supply units to the Super Charger 5A featured in this review

The SC-5A takes the GT to “Ludicrous Mode”! and we want our most loyal supporters to experience it on day one. : )

Passion-for-Sound 2 days Grand Tourer offer

For the next two days only, every Soloist 3X GT order will come with a free Cool stand and our upcoming Super Charger 5A.

The total value for freebies is over 500USD.

Offer ends 29th October.

Webshop Link: https://www.bursonaudio.com/product/soloist-3x-gt/

• This is a direct order offer only.

• Delivery in chronological order.

• You can cancel your order before it ships. Burson will refund the order via Paypal, less 5% transaction fee. (the part that we don’t get refunded by Paypal)

4 Likes

I just posted this over at Hifiguides. I was gonna do the same here. You beat me to it lol.

This is pretty cool that they are doing this since I gave in and did the preorder. Looking forward to using this amp.

3 Likes

I’ll offer $150 for anyone who doesn’t want their supercharger :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Pretty good deal if you can get a $285 upgrade for $150 :wink:

¯_(ツ)_/¯ I’m sure some people might not care to use the free supercharger so might as well recoup some of their cost

1 Like

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t curious to try the GT even though I just got a GS-X Mini… Seems like a really interesting Amp given everything they’ve put into it and the love Burson gets.

1 Like