Cables - 3rd Party/Upgrades & Recommendations

That’s good cable. I like using it.

I know some people buy mogami 2534 quad cable, and strip the 2 clear wires from the cable, then use that to create braided cables. It means you need to buy 12’ of mogami to make a 6’ headphone cable. You can use the blue sleeved wires and cover it with paracord too, I suppose.

We should probably move this discussion to the cable building thread…

agree…unless its specific to the HEDD in particular…

1 Like

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Not quite the way Meatloaf envisions. More like, figuratively.

3 Likes

Ok so I have sourced the 4 pin XLR male connector and the 2 Reon 4 pin mini xlrs and the main cable, now what size and where do I get the fancy paracord outer covering and some appropriate heat shrink?

Alex

Which cable did you buy? The Canare or Mogami? It matters when selecting the Paracord.

As for heat shrink:

1 Like

OK just ordered all the parts…from Martek…$34.11 including tax and shipping!

They a similar heat shrink package, free shipping and the Canare wire…

5-7 days and we will build the cable!

Alex

Thanks for all the help finding stuff!!

3 Likes

What kind of mesh netting or paracord do u use for the outer make it look nice stuff??

I see 2mm, 4mm, etc diameter for paracord?

Then there is mesh netting, 1/4" is the smallest?

Alex

1 Like

It depends on the cable. If you are stripping the wire from the cable and sleeving each wire individually, find the outer diameter of the wire and buy accordingly.

If you are keeping the jacket on the cable then you might need to look for techflex or some other kind of PET sleeving. Paracord is usually too narrow to fit full star quad cables.

Yeah…think I will split the cable at 18 inches from the rean connectors, use heat shrink at the split region and twist the 18 inch part and see what that dia is and buy accordingly…

Paracord 550 usually works to sleeve 2 wires.

750 barely fits over the Canare cable with jacket removed. It will also sleeve 4 bare wires if twisted, but not probably not braided.

This size chart shows the outer diameter of the cord. Subtract about 1mm for inner dia.

https://www.paracordplanet.com/cord-comparison-chart/

2 Likes

Good to know and again thanks for sharing…I am used to making stuff, diy etc…just like to get as much info before I start blindly buying stuff…its good to learn from folks that have invented this “wheel”…

Stuff should be here early next week…

2 Likes

Balanced cable is done! Minor pain in the a$$ but not that bad…had to get out the senior citizen magnifiers!! lol

Worked first time…

Doing some back an forth with the SE one from Hedd and the Jot…

Pin 3 Hot, Pin 1 (-)…Hedds are a bit differnt!

Used the Canare L-4E6S.

Alex

WIll post pix in a few days.

6 Likes

$40 works with Hedds balanced with the Jotenheim…

Alex

Had some techflex lying around and didnt want to wait for the neon green and yellow to try with hedds…but I have more than enough cable to get fancier in my colors!!

Best thing it does work and very well…

10 Likes

Those are the ones you made? Very nice.

1 Like

Thanks!

Yup I have to confess, I did it all by myself!!

The hard part is figuring out the wiring for the polarity etc…and profalkin helped out there…then it was home free…

The Canare cable is really flexible. I could have put it into some wild color tech flex or paracord…but its just fine as is…

Bought 12 feet of it, all the connectors for about $40 included tax and shipping. From Martek.

3 Likes

I thought about making my own cables but the potential frustration factor for me has prevented it so far. Good job!

2 Likes

I too have the Danacable Nirvana, but paired with Hifiman Susvara headphones; connected to a Woo Audio WA 33. I expected to hear God speaking to me, and s/he does! The headphones/cables/amp together are transformative, always bringing joy to my experience of listening to music. Yes, it was all very expensive - and worth every cent!!!

1 Like

I can definitely vouch for Forza AudioWorks.

I recently bought the Claire HPC Mk2 for my HD650s and it is a wonderful cable. Well built, great craftmanship, sounds good, no microphonics.

4 Likes

Is it really soft and flexible?

I find it both as soft and flexible as I could wish for. Difficult to answer. It is rubberized. I haven’t had any issues with either softness or flexibility. However I must admit that I have limited experience with 3rd party cables so I don’t have much to compare with apart from stock. But it leaves very little to be desired and my impression is that people in general are very content with Forza’s cables.

3 Likes