Campfire Audio Andromeda in-ear Headphones - Official Thread

Campfire Audio has gone through a lot of iterations of their popular Andromeda line of in-ear monitors over the years and it’s still one of the most popular premium IEMs on the market. It’s always had the nice shell design with bold colors and a good technical and sound experience for the most part, which has made it a staple recommendation for years now, despite the continual change and special edition models that have come out.

And there’s been a lot. Even last year, Campfire released two updates to the Andromeda brand, with the 2019 update featuring a new shell design and new packaging, and the Andromeda Gold special limited edition model with black shell and gold fasteners. This year, Campfire has released a 2020 update to this classic line.

As a quick note, I do want to thank Taron from Headphones.com for letting me have some time with a loaner unit to write this review with. They also have a community forum called The Headphones Community, which is active and fun forum for audio enthusiast and one I highly recommend.

Packaging/Build

The 2020 model keeps the identifiable green anodized color and design, along with the updated shell that has more rounded edges that no longer pinch and stab the back of my ears. Like last year’s Gold model, the deeper and larger nozzle with grills from the Solaris is now on this 2020 update. This makes this overall, the most comfortable design of the Andromedas that I’ve tried (Andromeda Gold being the same design).

The packaging features the fancy outer paper covering and an inner box that is reminiscent of last year’s opening experience, which is an enjoyable one. The included case is made out of cork and has a greenish hue to it that looks unique and interesting. It has the purse-like look with zippered opening and soft inner padding. The package also comes with tips and several mesh protector pouches to store the IEMs individually in.

The included cable is the Smokey Litz cable that I really enjoyed previously. It’s lightweight, tangle-free, and easy to wear, and a significantly better experience than the cable used on the older Campfire products. The connectors are still mmcx at the shell, and the source features an L-shaped 3.5mm connector jack.

Sound Impressions

Source Gear

Like previous iterations of the Campfire Andromeda, the 2020 model is extremely source pairing dependent. This is because the multi-BA design is very sensitive to the output impedance of the source, whether that be your phone, audio player or an amplifier. Whatever is connected to these IEMs, may make a subtle but audible impact to the level of bass or treble this IEM projects.

In my testing, I’ve noticed audible changes depending on the source I use as well as the cable length I used! It seemed that every 3 feet cable extender I added made a 1 decibel change to the measurements I performed, with bass lowering and treble increasing as output impedance increased. I plotted a graph below of measuring directly out of the less than 0.10 ohm Topping A90, and using a 2.7 Ohm iFi EarBuddy adapter.

For my actual listening, I tried the Campfire Andromeda primarily out of my Topping A90, hooked up to the Schiit Bifrost 2, as well as my portable DAP, the Sony NW-ZX507.

The ZX507 is about 1-1.5 ohm output impedance from my various FR measurement test approximations, but I have yet to confirm it by measuring it directly.

General Sound

The Andromeda 2020 has a nice balanced sound signature that is slightly warm with a smooth treble response that is a bit different than the older models. While the older one, I tended to refer to it as “Haze-Fi”, due to it’s recessed upper mid-range and lower treble, the 2020 edition has that area raised up to a very natural and preferred level for my ears, making this an IEM that closely matches my target preference curve from 1KHz and up.

The first time I put this set on, I immediately noticed the Andromeda’s excellent imaging and layering capability. The first track I put on was Tingvall Trio’s “Sjuan”, which is a piano-led jazz song with deep basslines and a steady assault of snare drums and cymbals. The way each instruments resonates on the Andromeda was surprising, as I don’t remember feeling this way when I heard the original set, and it’s not something I’ve noticed in many IEMs in general. To me, it somewhat resembles the type of natural reflection that I heard from the Emu Rosewood cups that I recently reviewed on my Fostex 600 series headphones.

While the Andromeda doesn’t quite have the full natural effect that a typical hardwood used for real instruments has – it does have a little bit of a shimmering effect instead of a natural decay – I do enjoy the extra bit of resonance that adds a lively nature to my musical selections.

Bass response on these are surprisingly not the extra-warm and sometimes bloated affair I occasionally got with the original Andromeda. It’s a little tamer, while still being just north of neutral in warmth. There’s not a deep elevated sub-bass, but there’s still enough to make it sound present and rounded out. While I do think a little more sub-bass emphasis would have been nice, I can’t truly say I missed it either while listening to this product.

Texturing seemed pretty good. It doesn’t necessarily have a lengthy decay that is more noticeable to some of it’s competitors, but it layers instruments well with the added sonic resonance that creates a nice sound in a complex passage. I noticed that in particular songs from Beach House (“Lemon Glow” or “Lose Your Smile”) or Sonic Youth songs.

In “Lose Your Smile”, the soundscapes that remind me of Air’s Moon Safari come to life well on the Andromeda with glistening instruments panning left and right, and the sweeping synths strung across the field around me. The depth and macrodynamics are quite nice on this track.

On the other hand, “Lemon Glow” does seem a tad tame. This song can really rumble and hit hard with impactful and strong bass response. With the Andromeda, this slam factor is missing a bit. The deep low textures do seem a little missing in this case.

The mid-range is very smooth and coherent and there’s not too much more to say about it. I find that vocals are done well. There was never any sense of shout or fatigue or sibilant in any track I heard, and general voice tonality sounded correct. After listening to a lot of recent chi-fi offering where there is an elevated 1-2KHz region, going back to something with a smoother transition between the mid-range and lower treble presence region is a breath of fresh air. Female voices don’t come across ultra-forward, and have a little more space to breath.

My best example of this is the Stevie Nicks-led “Dreams” from Fleetwood Mac. Her voice can become very shouty and fatiguing on some IEMs where there is a early and steep rise, but on the Andromeda, her voice is nicely placed not too far forward, while still sounding in the center of the stage.

One example of a track where I find the coherency and mid-range and treble sound very much in-tune with each other is Jason Isbell’s “24 Frames.” The song has a wonderful amount of instrument play and transitions from an all-acoustic beginning to effects-driven electric guitar in the breaks between the chorus and the bridge that sounds ultra-smooth. Isbell’s voice has a soft but defined voice. There acoustic guitar strings have a nice resonance to it, while cymbals hit with nice extension and realism.

Comparisons

Campfire Solaris (original)

I have yet to listen to the 2020 Solaris nor I had a chance to listen to the Special Edition model, but when compared to the original Solaris, from memory, I find the Andromeda to have a much more coherent and more correct tonality and instrument timbre across the board. Where the Solaris may beat the Andromeda is the 3D soundstage which is fun and unique, and perhaps the more natural lingering decay in the bass. That said, the Solaris does not have a typical lengthy decay, but still more so than the Andromeda 2020 does.

The Solaris was a tough one to wear as well, and I had major fit pain after 30 minutes to an hour of usage and this has not been a problem at all on the Andromeda 2020 design. This pick is easy for me, and while I still like the Solaris, the Andromeda 2020 is now the king of the Campfire lineup for my preferences.

Hidition Viento

The Hidition Viento-B is a Custom IEM that I own now, and does have some similarities to the Andromeda 2020. I find both to have some similar mid-range and treble traits and both have a very natural tonality and strong coherency. The Viento-B has better sub-bass extension and elevation which creates more sub-bass rumble for me, while the Andromeda does have a nice resonance-effect, most likely due to its tubeless and acoustic chamber design.

Unique Melody MEST

The MEST is new quad-brid IEM featuring dynamic driver, balanced armatures, electrostatic tweeters and a bone conductor driver for good measure. It has a more V-shaped sound signature than the Andromeda 2020, and I do find it a more exciting listen with a bigger bass response and a more holographic soundstage that seems to change from song to song, while still retaining generally accurate timbre. The Andromeda 2020 is much more even keeled and presents stuff in a more normal and natural way.

64 Audio U12T

The U12t is one of my most highly rated IEMs as it has solid tonality and technical performance. Actually, all the ones listed in this comparison section are very good, but the U12t is also the most boring of all of these in some sense. This is because it does nothing really wrong and does most things right. It does have a lot better bass performance than the Andromeda 2020 in my opinion, with more sub-bass extension and elevation, better decay and slam, as well as a thicker sound. It does have less exciting treble and does seem to be a tad more laid back, and hence I do find it a bit boring sounding, but tonally correct.

Fearless x Crinacle Dawn

The Dawn is also one of those IEMs where I find the tonality its strongest suit. It doesn’t quite have the technical chops as the U12t or the Andromeda 2020. I think the Dawn, again, has better sub-bass. The Andromeda has a more coherent sound and much better dynamics as I found the Dawn to sound very forward and missing a lot of depth and layering capability for something that cost $1400. The Andromeda doesn’t have issues with this area.

Wrap-Up

I’ve said a lot of good positive things about the Campfire Andromeda 2020 and that actually would have surprised me coming into this. I was not a big fan of the original version, but did appreciate it for what it was. This model came in and really took me away. I am impressed most by it’s technical performance in the area of layering of instruments, dynamics and imaging. The tonality has changed for the better and sounds much more inline with my target preferences, and I found the new fit to be much more easy to wear and extremely comfortable.

To top all of that up, the standard unboxing and accessories that Campfire has been known for is left untouched and still one of the better packages available today.

My only main area I found lacking was it did not have an elevated deep sub-bass which does make it lack a little bit of rumble and the shakes, and the bigger concern of source matching. The impedance shifts on the Andromeda 2020 are very much the same as the original one, however in this case, I prefer a lower impedance than a higher one.

All in all, the Campfire team did a wonderful job on this updated model to their classic Andromeda. This one comes highly recommended.

13 Likes

Another truly excellent review @antdroid. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

4 Likes

I’m a big fan of the Andromedas. I used to have the v3 (2019 version) and then sold it and I always prefer the Andros over the Solaris for heavier music. Sold the green andros too (forgot why … maybe life priorities?) Recently, got my hands on something I was looking for, for quite some time.

I think tonally the S variant is somewhat better. I don’t feel like nitpicking the details since I don’t have both versions side by side.

Funny thing is, now they released a 2020 version and yet, I somehow acquired a version older than the 2019 one I guess. Ohh well, the heart wants what it wants. A birthday gift to myself.

9 Likes

I just took delivery of a pair of Andromeda 2020s. They’re my first real IEMs since I bought a pair of Shure 305s more than 10 years ago. While I love my various Focals, sometimes it’s just not comfortable or appropriate to wear big, expensive, flashy over-ear headphones. After reading all the reviews here I was really excited about the UM MEST but I really didn’t want to spend $1200+, so @antdroid and I met up (safely!) last week so I could try a few different pairs including the MEST Mini. It was probably a mistake, but I listened to the headphones in reverse order of price. Ooops. The first pair I tried was the CA Solaris, and I really enjoyed those - I don’t consider myself a bass head, but wow, they were a lot of fun. From there we went to some Sonys (IER M9, I think) - didn’t like those, followed by a third pair (I forget the brand, but I didn’t love them) and finally the MEST Mini. They were OK, but couldn’t hold a candle to the Solaris.

Since the Solaris was way out of my price range, @antdroid suggested Iook at the Andromeda. A bit of reading here and there, and they sounded like just the thing for me. I ordered them on Thursday, and thanks to @taronlissimore’s awesome service, I had them in my grubby paws on Friday. I’ve been listening to them through my RME ADI-2 DAC as well as through a Dragonfly Red connected to my phone.

My first impression was “these sound great, but I miss that solid bass from the Solaris”. Further listening only reinforced that. My reference tracks for bass these days is “Solringen” (Wardruna). It has some really solid, deep drumming going on - with the Solaris, you felt it. With the Andromeda I could hear it, but I didn’t feel it. I tried a few other things, and had pretty much the same impression. A bit of a bummer, but I loved everything else about the Andromeda - non-fatiguing, comfortable, great tonal balance, analytical (but not tooooo analytical) so I wasn’t too disappointed. After exchanging a few messages with @antdroid over the weekend, he suggested I try the Final Audio tips included in the box. Lo and behold, the bass solidified without any sacrifices that I could hear in my very casual listening. As I mentioned, I’m a total IEM newbie, so this whole idea of switching out tips to change the sound is a bit of a novelty. I’m going to have to spend some time to experimenting!

Everything else I’ve thrown at the Andromedas has sounded lovely - vocals (both male and female), instrumental works, blues and jazz. I’ve yet to try any classical, but I have faith that they’ll sound great. They’re exactly what I was hoping for in an IEM - great, natural sound, comfy, not too flashy, and they even sound good with the Dragonfly + my phone, making them excellent for travel. They were a little more expensive than I’d planned to spend but I’m pretty sure I won’t be looking for an upgrade any time soon, so I call that a money-saver. Overall, I’m delighted.

Thanks again to @taronlissimore for the excellent service, and @antdroid for being such a advisor. You’re both great for my ears but terrible for my wallet.

11 Likes

Congratulations, welcome to the Andromeda 2020 club! I hope you find yours as enjoyable and engaging and musical as I do mine.

I’ve had my pair for nearly two months now and I’m still figuring out my impressions of them. I agree entirely about tips making a big difference to the bass response. I couldn’t get a good seal with the Final Audio tips. But I had more success with Azla Sedna tips. The bass improved progressively from the Xelastec (with the least bass) to the Earfit Light and then the ordinary Earfits (with the most). Thanks to @jrockwell for recommending these tips.

For classical, I’ve found the resolution and the open soundstage (for an IEM) of the Andro 2020 to be superb. The treble extension doesn’t work ideally for large orchestra pieces, though. As a dark IEM, the Andro 2020 doesn’t quite reach high enough to let you hear flutes, for instance, above the rest of the orchestra. The Andro 2020 doesn’t sound congested but it does lack that bit of sparkle and air. (I planned on getting the original version of the Andro but took a risk on the new one).

The advantage of the darker signature is its fatigue-free sound. I can listen happily for hours. The Andromeda 2020 is also excellent for rock music, and it does especially well with 90s-style electric guitars. It gets the growl just right. (I picked up an Audeze LCD2-C as a rock headphone a few months ago: while the comparison is an apples to oranges one, the Andro 2020 has better texture and timbre, to my ears; the LCD2-C is now largely redundant).

I’m still wondering if I should have gone for the original Andromeda. I’m fond of its treble sparkle. I say this as someone with the Focal Clear, and I love the Clear’s treble extension and clarity, even if it is a touch glassy at times. You mention having Focal headphones - may I ask which ones?

One last thought for you: Campfire periodically sells b-stock items; they had a sale recently and sold off some a- and b-stock OG Solaris for around $1100-1300, I believe. The new Solaris 2020 hasn’t appeared as a b-stock yet but it may only be a matter of time… You can sign up for email notifications: https://aloaudio.deals/.

7 Likes

I have the Elegia and Stellia. As far as picking up the Solaris, I think I’m going to hold off on buying any more headphones, at least until I sell off some old gear. But thanks for the tip about b-stock from CA - maybe by the time my toy budget is replenished they’ll have the Solaris :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I hear you about selling off gear and saving up - I have a feeling that my LCD2-C will be used to contribute to a Solaris slush fund.

I asked about your Focals because I’ve found the more aggressive and dynamic presentation of the Clear to be a nice counterpart to the mellower, smoother Andromeda. It’s as though the Andromeda has slotted nicely into my collection, which adds to the appeal.

The 2020 is the only version of the Andromeda I’ve spent any real time with. I demoed the OG Andromeda and Solaris for the first time each on the same visit to Headphone Bar and the Solaris won my heart that day with its outstanding technicalities and dynamic bass texture. As a newcomer to this hobby in late 2018 the Andromeda was the one IEM that stood out to me has having the biggest following across all the audio sites I frequent…and honestly the 2020 has more than lived up to all the hype. It’s easy to love, does little wrong and can be listened to comfortably pretty much indefinitely. The Solaris (SE/2020 version) is still my favorite as I feel it is a more refined and complete sound and a direct upgrade to Andromeda in most of the areas that matter to me, however at the end of the day Andromeda is probably the safest rec for an IEM you could give to someone knowing nothing of their tolerances or listening preferences.

Incidentally I got turned on to the 2020 by a good degree of hype in some quarters that it’s a substantive improvement to the original. This stands in contrast to the impressions of some I trust (like Shotgunshane at SBAF) who claim that the 2020 is simply a darker version of the OG and still consider the OG the better choice if you enjoy its treble presentation. Knowing this I’ll probably get my hands on an OG Andro some day just to try it…if one of those Pacific Blues came up I would be very tempted.

2 Likes

I noted those same contrasting perspectives on the original Andromeda and the 2020 and wondered what to make of them. I suppose I could try to triangulate the reviewers’ preferences with a wider sample of IEMs but, at this point, it’d probably be better for me just to listen for myself. It’s not as if I couldn’t get a reasonably-priced used pair and then, after comparing them, flip which ever version appeals the least (assuming they’d not be complementary!). Since I’m saving up for a new, better DAP anyway, I could postpone that purchase to take a happy OG Andro detour. And, yes, all the better if the Pacific Blue beauties were to come up for sale at the right price!

I’ve not spent long enough listening to the OG Andromeda, either. I demoed them several times and quickly fell for their “musicality,” by which I mean their engaging, toe-tapping quality. People used to mention PRaT a bunch on forums; I’m not entirely sure what it means but I remember wondering if the Andro exemplified it. I think this quality with the Andro has to do with resolution and its excellent, rich texture. I think those qualities have been kept with the new version, although I do have the nagging suspicion that the prominent treble of the original gave them a bit more bite and excitement.

It’s good to see you liking the Andro 2020 as a complementary IEM for your SE Solaris. I’d wondered if the Andro 2020 would lose some of its lustre compared to its sibling. I also noted your move away from the Legend X; I’d wondered if I should go with the Solaris 2020 or something else for a future upgrade, when pennies permit, as a super fun contrast to the easy-going Andro 2020, which does so many things so well and that’s pretty versatile across musical genres. My sense is that the already Solaris SE does all this for you, no? Have you had chance to check out the 2020 Solaris yet?

(Edited for typos and clarity)

2 Likes

The old one trades accentuated treble with hazy mid-range. I prefer the more even and balanced sound of the 2020.

@Simonfish I also second or third the recommendation for azla sedna or xelastec tips. They are what I used with Andromeda and other iems.

They run a little large, so recommend getting a half size down.

3 Likes

Thank you - I’d forgotten about the description of the original’s hazy mid-range, something that would be easy to miss with relatively short auditions (and less experience than you!).

I’m not sure it’s the right word but the Andro 2020 does have something of a pristine sound to it. It also has a nice kind of sweetness to its treble response. (It’s funny, I find it easier to describe the characteristics of headphones I dislike than the qualities of those I’m fond of).

The first and most important rule of this hobby :slight_smile:

The Solaris SE has stood the test of time for me as a balanced and engaging “all rounder” longer than anything else has to this point. I may wind up selling Andro soon, not due to lack of love but to the fact that at the end of the day I’m a one IEM guy.

I have heard the 2020. I loved it. I didn’t spend a good deal of time with it or anything but my first impressions were positive. It feels like they’ve taken the refinements present in the SE and expanded on them a touch. It’s fundamentally the same IEM though.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion - I’ve ordered a 3 pack which will hopefully include sizes that work for me. Or is there some way to measure one’s ear canal?

I just base it on what fits me the beat and using caliper to determine the size or finding out the size online. That said it will vary a bit.

I forgot to mention that I like the xelastec the most and then the sedna light and sedna light short.

1 Like

I ordered the right thing then. Excited to try them. I listened for another couple of hours today and am still loving them. They’re really easy to enjoy. They just do everything well, without really drawing attention to themselves. Just don’t let me listen to the Solaris again. :joy:

1 Like

Clean your ears before using xelastec, unless you want them to clean it for you. :smiley:

Things stick to them easily.

2 Likes

So I just found something the Andromeda didn’t do at all well with. I was listening to the final movement of Dvorak’s Symphony No. 9. Near the beginning of the track, the tympani is played quite vigorously. At first I thought it sounded just dandy, but I love that piece, so I thought I’d give section a listen through my Focal Stellias, and that’s when I discovered how much I was missing. Through the Andromeda, you can hear the tympani being struck, and if you listen veeeery carefully, you can hear that the tympani has some resonance, an almost metallic tone (sorry, I’m not doing a good job describing it). Through the Stellia, you can really hear that metallic tone. It’s like you can tell what material the tympani is covered with through the Focal, but through the Andromeda, you can hear that it’s a drum. It’s a little disappointing, to be honest, even though it’s not really a fair comparison.

Here’s the track I was listening to. The first 20 seconds are all you need to hear.

3 Likes

I was thinking of picking up a new cable with a balanced connector. I like practical aspects of the stock cable - it’s comfortable and doesn’t get in the way. I wish it were a foot longer, just to make routing it on my desk a bit easier, but I can live with that. It’s also pretty cheap - $100 for a new one. Is there any reason to get something else?

I picked up both the XElastec and Azla tips. I think I prefer the XElastec, but I’ll experiment some more. Still loving the Andromedas.

I would heavily recommend the Dunu DUW 02 cable. It has swappable connectors (they’re $20 each if I remember correctly) and the ergonomics are very similar to the stock Andro 2020 cable. As far as eartips go, I like the Azla sedna short lights the most, but you can’t go wrong with xelastecs either.

3 Likes