Cen.Grand 9i-806 “Little Silver Fox” - Headphone Amplifier

As the first purchaser of the Cen.Grand 9i-806 “Little Silver Fox” headphone amp in the US, I feel it’s my duty to start a thread for this relatively unknown (for now at least) headphone amp. I was considering the TOTL amp from Cen.Grand, the 9i-906 “Silver Fox”, but decided to go with the little brother that shares most of the features of its big brother at a much more affordable price.

For now let’s ignore the Silver Fox and focus only on the Little Silver Fox. Here is the handsome devil:

This is a seriously powerful headphone amp. I can’t imagine it would have trouble driving any headphone out there including the Susvara. It pushes 15W at 30 ohms for goodness sake! It has 4 different types of headphone jacks including:

• 4-pin XLR
  • Dual 3-pin XLR
  • 4.4mm balanced
  • Two 6.3mm single ended outputs
    (shared with 3-pin XLR ports)

It has two RCA inputs and two XLR inputs on the back. There is no preamp function. This is purely a headphone amp.

The amp has four output modes: Normal, Balanced(BTL), Virtual Ground(Active G) and Parallel, as well as three low resistance modes and one high resistance mode.

It’s my understanding that the “low resistance” modes are in place to be used with highly sensitive headphones/IEMs. The way it works is low resistance mode 1 adds a 50 ohm resistor in-line, mode 2 adds 100 ohm, and mode 3 adds 150 ohm. High resistance mode has no resistor in the signal path and is recommended for most headphones. The wording is a bit confusing, with some of the documentation calling the modes “high impedance” and “low impedance 1, 2 and 3”. It’s a bit counterintuitive, but I think I have a handle on how it’s being implemented.

If a single-ended input is plugged in, the amp converts it to balanced, so you have the same output power whether a balanced or single-ended source is being used. Cen.Grand recommends using a balanced source to avoid more processing of the signal, but it’s nice to have the option to use single-ended sources without any impact on output power.

Here are a few pics of the inside of the amp. I’m not very familiar with amplifier topology, but the 4 pairs of Exicon lateral MOSFETS are supposedly a good thing!

I haven’t received the amp yet, so I won’t be posting any impressions until after I’ve had a few weeks to get accustomed to it.

8 Likes

Looking forward to hearing your impressions! I’ve seen this brand pop up a few places and it looks quite interesting!

4 Likes

I always like it when a product goes all out doing one thing, in this case Headphone Amp, very well. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Mark Gosdin

4 Likes

Agreed! I feel the same way about restaurants as I do about audio. Stick to what you do and do it well. A gigantic menu is always a bad sign to me. Too many dishes makes it very hard to keep the quality at a high level.

3 Likes

Finally received the Little Silver Fox today! It took much longer to get to me than expected, but it arrived safe and sound in the end.

I have been sick for the last couple of days, so no sound impressions yet. I’ll be listening as the amp burns in, so once I get to feeling better and the amp has been put through its paces I’ll report back.

5 Likes