Current Set-Up Pics - Official Picture Thread

It’s trying look like the old school 275 type of Macintosh amps which I really like look wise. The green tubes is something they have been do a lot lately but I like the blue atmosphere of their other gear a lot more. Personally I’m an Audio Research fan and value their amps over Macintosh when I’ve compared in the past. I own the Ref75 and used to have a ref150 both being stellar amps and would love to see them use it to influence a ref5 (lol 5 watt kt120/150 headphone amp built with similar circuitry and Sonics using OT’s with 300 hm taps). I think audio research does tube sound majestically however untubey they are in reality. Best middle ground of solid state and tubes for both schools of thought to like. But when it comes to looks for me Macintosh wins tenfold.

In comparison to the looks of the ref150 being very simple and nothing creative:

2 Likes

@Torq

Maybe you would disagree as I thought you didn’t care for chassis showing transformers on top, correct? Maybe you would favor the more conservative look of the ref150 although switching it into a headphone amp wouldn’t be anything that stands out being very creative vs how cool the above Macintosh headphone amp looks.

I don’t mind transformers showing on top.

I just don’t like the flat, grey, boxes that cover the transformers on the DNA Sellaris.

The one at the back left that of the Stellaris that just has bells on, or those exposed on the Pendant or BHC or ampsandsound stuff are fine.

1 Like

I have not been able to find an on-line dealer. Where did you buy yours? If it sounds as good as it looks, I would jump all over it.

Don’t know your location but you should be a able to find one here….

Whether they have any in stock is unlikely. Sounds like they’re pretty back ordered.

If people wanna buy the MHA200 let me know. I have a dealer right near me that I went to hear the MHA200 from, and they have them for sale. I think they got some still.

I wrote a review of it on SBAF, but its not very positive.

6 Likes

McIntosh isn’t allowing any online sales. I had one reserved at Gramophone in MD - it came in on 6/22 but I had just left for vacation.

If you have a local dealer, they’re going to be your best bet. There are still waiting lists and limited production. First run was only 40 units (second was 80 I believe).

Nothing on SBAF strikes me as positive. :grinning:

4 Likes

:man_shrugging: we be like that I guess

2 Likes

Yup, that is my local dealer too, Gramophone in MD

1 Like

The Positive Feedback review was quite positive. Head-Fi feedback has been great as well.

I haven’t tried the stock input tubes, only the ones recommended in the PF review.

I wasn’t bagging the amp. I was poking fun at SBAF.

1 Like

Fair, but tbh for $2.5k, I think there are many other tube amps that are worth over it. I wouldn’t buy it at $2.5k. But if someone else likes it more power to them. Just my opinion

Lol, I got that. I’m new so my posts are delayed.

2 Likes

Here’s my recent Elac impulse purchase, as installed in a tough location. Instead of speaker stands I put them on top of furniture. This put them too high, and they also resonated to match the furniture.

Solution: studio monitor foam isolation pads that allow a -10 degree to +10 degree tilt. This one currently aims down 10 degrees. It looks like it’s going to tip, but creates a great sweet spot and is very stable.

EDIT: View from the other side to show its tilt. Yes, it really does lean forward that much. The headstock of my Jaguar is in the background.

13 Likes

Random question looking at your desk, are you using a Peak Design strap for your camera?

1 Like

29 Likes

Wow. #livingthedream :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

It keeps me off the streets. :grin:

5 Likes

Congratulations @bobmysterious that’s a fine collection you have there. Enjoy.

1 Like