Dan Clark Audio Stealth - Flagship Closed-Back Headphones

So, for thin-framed glasses or contacts wearers only. :slight_smile: Or those blessed to not have to use corrective lenses, of course. haha

Thanks for the measurements and brief impressions. Other than the macro dynamics, it seems very promising. I wonder, if they release an open-back variant of this, if it’ll suffer the same macro contrast issue since it likely won’t have to be heavily dampened…

Yeah it’s a good question. I honestly think there are so many challenges with making a closed-back planar that there are some necessary tradeoffs, and that may be one of them. The Stealth is in truly unique company in the sense that… there’s nothing else like it at the high end.

With that said, I think this is one thing they can work on for their open backs - I’d be curious to see what DCA can come up with in an open-back at that level with similar tech.

1 Like

That would be a very interesting development in DCA headphones.
Thank you for your detailed impressions and all responses to the various questions.

1 Like

Well, the Rögnir is the only other TOTL planar closed back out there, so you owe it yourself to hear it, especially in comparison to the Stealth. Definitely not lacking in macro or microdynamics, and by far the most technically proficient closed-back I’ve heard (and I own (or have owned) most of them).

Anyway, not hear to promote, just interested in comparisons. Cheers.

1 Like

I’d be interested yeah - I did not know they did a closed-back planar.

2 Likes

I think that would be really interesting. If they used all the tech they have used in the Stealth, on an open back headphone, with similar tuning to the Stealth, which seems to be very well done. I wonder what it would sound like, as it wouldn’t be fighting against the physical challenges of being closed. Though, maybe the 3D printed metamaterial “thing” in front of the driver, wouldn’t have as much of an effect on an open headphone. Beats me. Interesting to ponder about though :slight_smile:

Hows the Isolation of the Stealth? In and out?

1 Like

I concur. I love most punchy open headphones and punchy speakers, but I hate punchy closed headphones. Macro contrast causes rapid fatigue and discomfort – I can happily use DCA closed longer than any other closed headphone I’ve tried. IMO flatness and compression isn’t bad here, just an astute design trade-off.

7 Likes

@taronlissimore any updates on when you will receive your first batch from DCA?

That’s a very good way to put it. I love Macro Contrast, but in short bursts with closed headphones. Too much for too long and my ears get tired.

2 Likes

@Resolve with the absalitely obscenely low sensitivity of these do you have any plans to try them on a 13r (or something similarly dumbly powered) to see if that gets some of the slam back?

Yes I actually have that here right now and it’s next on my list to try. I kind of don’t expect it too because… that wasn’t the 13r’s biggest strength I found. I think if anything something like the Forge might do that. So I’ll have to try that out.

3 Likes

Ahb2 also slams like a truck if you by any chance have that on hand. But yah, im mostly currious if the extra power will help them at all. The 13r(now 23r) pairing well with them would be quite nice since it does so well with 1266 and sus too

Resolve’s impressions video is live for any anyone that hasn’t checked it out yet!

19 Likes

Right, agree with this. DCA headphones are usually very easy to listen to for extended periods, not fatiguing at all. Might be a benefit of lesser macrodynamics.

3 Likes

Expect it? Hell @Resolve , many of us are counting on it!

1 Like

How does Noire compare to Stealth? It is 85-90% performance ratio to the flagship, similar to how the Clear compares to Utopia? Having owned the A2C Noire for a few months now, I am extremely happy with it. Use it mostly with a AK DAP and a balanced cable.

1 Like

A set of Noires wont disappoint. Great headphones at a far lower price than the Stealth.

1 Like

Kind of like the clear to the Utopia yeah. Good analogy. Stealth is like the price no object version of the noire in a sense.

2 Likes

@Resolve - Yeah, so, I’m going to need you to shave your head and tell us folically challenged individuals wether or not that weird waffle headband pattern annoys your smooth as a baby’s butt chrome dome. Cool?

Thanks in advance. I believe in you. :+1: :vulcan_salute:

9 Likes

Yup. Me out as well. Was also really hoping this would their first with some punch and slam, lol.