Do your ears ring?

Mine is the high pitch of misquotes :mosquito:

somewhat related:

It’s National Protect Your Hearing Month!

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/noise/preventhearingloss/default.html

2 Likes

I’ve worked in motorsports for 33 years, have been attending club shows for years and have been in an active rock band for the last nine years. I’m 56, and my ears ring constantly like the curse of 1,000 crickets.

I only started wearing good earplugs about eight years ago. Too late. Protect your hearing at all costs and at all times, folks. Tinnitus really sucks, especially when severe.

3 Likes

Well said.!. it will never go away, no fancy vitamins or magic herbs. Hopefully one day medical research will figure it out.

3 Likes

Not sure if this will help anyone but I stumbled across this method to try to minimize tinnitus a while ago.
I don’t have tinnitus myself but if it helps anyone here, let me know!

I think the idea is that the drumming “drowns out” the tinnitus, at least temporarily. I doubt it’s a permanent fix but hopefully it’ll bring some relief for some of you folks out there!

4 Likes

Sadly, didn’t do a damn thing for me. Still 1,000 crickets in each ear. But thanks for posting the idea!

1 Like

I’ve had intermittent ringing in my ears but it’s actually not caused by hearing loss, more genetic/developmental disabilities that caused my sinuses to be severely inflamed for the vast majority of my childhood. Had horrible asthma, multiple surgeries. and the like probably have resulted in me being tolerable to certain sounds over lengths of time that are probably not so tolerable to most.

Luckily, asthma and the other side effects are gone for the most part, but the ringing is one of those things that remain as an unfortunate result. If anything, it’s been concerts and nightclubs that were the cause of it on top of that. I didn’t start wearing earplugs, and now custom ones, until much recently and I wish I could have started earlier.

3 Likes

haven’t been here in a while. will try the magnesium maleate (or triple threat stuff) and let y’all know).
The tinnitus is something I’ve learned to live with, it doesn’t get in the way of enjoying music but it’d be nice to not have it constantly there

1 Like

I have been using the magnesium for several months. I still have tinnitus, but at a much lower level. Worth a try.

1 Like

Is there a specific type or formula – not brand – of magnesium to take? Magnesium maleate? Regular magnesium?

Thanks.

This is something you must try for yourself. I HATE cheap magnesium oxide, and had to try several brands until one worked for me. Some swear by chelated magnesium but it gave me heartburn. Also, magnesium may help you with audio-related nerves and neural functioning but can do nothing for physical hearing damage.

Quoting myself from above:

2 Likes

Thanks much!

I suffer from constant ringing tinnitus. Gradually getting worse. I’ve learned to live with it over the past decade, and it doesn’t affect sleep, focus, etc. But I sure would like my head to be a bit quieter, even if total silence is a fleeting goal.

4 Likes

This is what I use:

1 Like

A lot of sobering reports here. I certainly had a lot of concert and festival days in my late teens and early 20s, and a few years ago, went to an audiologist for an exam. Despite a faint and latent ringing, which can drive one to concern, I was told that my hearing was somewhere well above 95% in both ears. That I do not recall the precise numbers stems from the fact that they were so unexpectedly high, and coupled with such steadfast assurance by the doctor, that I no longer worry. Tinnitus can stem so many factors, and while a picky agent can always wish that it could be simply willed away, the name of the game for the rest of my life is careful preservation coupled with the occasional bout of indulgence — when the music is worth it. (Jazz settings can get loud, too!)

3 Likes

Exactly. My tinnitus could be due to some internal and body chemistry factors, but the main reason must be that I melted my ears without protection at a lot of club shows over the last 30 years. I also am the lead singer for a rock band, and I have worked in professional motorsports for 30 years.

That’s a Tinnitus Triple Crown, my friends. :slight_smile:

I only started protecting my hearing with good plugs about 10 years ago. Wear them to all jams and gigs with the band and all shows that I attend. Also have hearing protection when working at the track.

Wish I had been smarter earlier about protection. Too late now. So, take it from this geezer whose ears ring like 100 crickets 24/7/365: WEAR YOUR DAMN EAR PLUGS AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY, PEOPLE. Not just concerts and loud events. Cutting the lawn. Running a chain saw and power tools. All of it.

Once your hearing is gone or compromised, you’ll regret it!

6 Likes

Wise words, Paul! What you said about the lawnmower, in all seriousness, resonates.

3 Likes

Watching football as I read the updates to this thread and it occurred to me that I really don’t like watching football on tv anymore due to the crowd noise being at a pitch and tone that really aggravates my tinnitus. I used to just get aggravated by the announcers incessant muttering on about nothing between the play by play.

3 Likes

So very true but unfortunately the young don’t listen. I know I didn’t back in the 70’s.

5 Likes

Hmm. Just football? Crowd noise in many sports. Annoying commentators in most sports except possibly curling. Oh wait I already know who the skip is. Golf with IEMs is the worst. It sounds like some creep is whispering in my ear. Makes me less annoyed at mild tinnitus. Magnesium seems to help a bit. (That’s an aside)

3 Likes

Great news! Lenire Granted De Novo FDA Approval

3 Likes