Fidelice (by Rupert Neve) - Precision Headphone Amplifier - Official Thread

I’ll say more once I am back from vacation, but no, I cannot recommend the Fidelice RNHP at $1,195.

Subjectively, it sounds indistinguishable to me to the original $495 RNHP when compared blind, so any tweaks to the implementation are not audible to me. Which means there is effectively a $700 markup to get a nicer case and the Fidelice aesthetic (which I do think works better here than on the DAC).

If you’re an objectivist/measurements biased type then unless you need the studio-level capable balanced inputs, the unit is objectively outperformed by a number of $100 amplifiers, never mind $1,195 ones. And if you do need such inputs, there are much cheaper (starting around $299), objectively higher performing, options.

Even the original RNHP is a bit of stretch value wise unless, again, you need balanced inputs with high input headroom, as its performance is closer to the latest Schiit Magni 3+.

Which isn’t to say the Fidelice RNHP doesn’t have its place. But to me it seems like that place is defined, first, by “Must say Rupert Neve on the tin”, second by the prettier chassis, and lastly by performance.

5 Likes

I do think these are a bit overpriced for the performance. But, the performance isn’t bad like you say, just overpriced at its performance level.

That being said the lil amp aesthetics are growing on me. I can see where people would pay for the name and the retro chic look.

Another thing, these are made with good quality materials, but they have that put together industrial look in person… like they belong in a retro-futurism war spaceship… a little rough in places but not unpleasant, more utilitarian style but confusingly made into “art” lol… I’ve confused myself now… time to go back to editing photos… and listening to music.

Edit: I hope you and your wife are having a relaxing low stress trip!

P.s. We’ve missed your presence on the forums!

1 Like

As I was saying to @Andrew before I left, while I have an issue with the value on the RNHP, I did find it strangely growing on me and at some level I’d like to own one … for a variety of not necessarily logical or audible reasons (though I certainly enjoyed listening via it, even if it wasn’t a standout in that regard).

I’m not sure exactly what price point I’d find it attractive enough to buy for myself, but I do know it’s quite a long way shy of $1,195.

3 Likes

I think $1195 is far too much for a re-cased RNHP. At $500 for the original RNHP it was a fair price, given the Rupert Neve pedigree and it’s sound quality.

$750 is the most I could reasonably see the Fidelice RNHP selling for (which I would maybe consider as it is much more attractive than the original RNHP).

1 Like

Just going to put this here…makes for a good size comparison also…

So, I must say I like this amp better than the THX amps that I’ve had in the past… and the form factor/aesthetic in this size is really growing on me. It synergizes well with my ZMF cans, and has a nice tonal balance? Not sure that is right… it just sounds good! It is neutral sounding but with the saturation/vibrance/detail and sharpness turned up #cameranerds!!! It is hard to describe, it “feels” like it is coloring the sound while not coloring the sound lol… it has a richness to the sound that isn’t in the cold sound of the THX amps… It kind of reminds me of the SPL Phonitor more than the THX actually…so maybe if on an upgrade path, I would say THX (insert 3# designator here) then Fidelice RNamp, then the SPL Phonitor X/XE or one of the non-VU meter versions then the X/XE lol

EDIT2: listening on my Aeolus now… and yeah, there is a fullness that isn’t present in the other solid state amps I’ve tried in the past. Also mind you this is “my” opinion and not an end all be all statement. I prefer this that is it =)

4 Likes

Circuit design. Neve’s a master of analog, imo.

I haven’t heard a THX amp, but my guess is that I’d agree with your designated amp ‘path’. It does so much right in a hard to quantify way.

I Love my Neve. So much so, I’m ordering another one to replace the one I returned. I’m settling for this until I can purchase a Phonitor.

And judging by many people’s impressions so far, it’s a good amp to have to ‘settle’ for.

2 Likes

For comparison.

Rupert Neve Designs RNHP

2 Likes

That is sexy looking!! I like it!

1 Like

I prefer the look of the Fidelice version, but the sound is what matters most. And I’m used to the blindingly stupid-bright green leds!

1 Like

Yeah, those things are crazy bright!! They look cool though! It would be cooler if they were purple or magenta lol

1 Like

If you don’t get a Fidelice, you could always settle for the Neve. Rumor has it they’re the same. :wink:

1 Like

Legos are the answer you seek.

Though if the LEDs were purple I’d consider leaving them off! :blush:

3 Likes

That is hilarious if the LED is the same size as a Lego circle hole lol! That makes me want to get the lil RN amp back to test it out!

1 Like

Brilliant!

But I got used to the blindingly bright green glow.

1 Like

Round, flat 1x1 grey legos, and a tiny speck of blue tack to keep them on. The LEDs aren’t exactly lego size, but close enough that any amount of blue tack and they don’t fall off! :laughing:

Black ones might actually look cooler, but I wasn’t able to fish 3 black ones out of my kid’s tub of Legos.

2 Likes

I like the white. It looks more intentional.

1 Like

Ah now I recognize you Andrew, thanks to the lego :joy: Hi!

2 Likes

Oh, that Martin! Hello!

2 Likes

I created a thread for the original “pro” version of the RNHP, as most of the comments here were regarding that version.

2 Likes

Hey guys,

Does this AMP have any issues driving hard to drive headphones?

Seems to be lacking in the power department based on the spec’s.

Thanks everyone.

1 Like