Focal Radiance - Closed-Back Headphones - Official Thread

Maybe a Focal Radiance MG.

I’m not sure, as I think the intention behind this one was to be a special edition for Bently. I know that not everyone is into the Bently branding, but personally I don’t care. It’s kind of the same thing with other collabs with car brands, and many audio companies are involved in that, as it’s a huge part of the industry. While it’s highly unlikely I’ll ever drive a Bently, that doesn’t stop the Radiance from being awesome, or me from enjoying it.

4 Likes

I can’t think of any other branding thing quite like this Bentley offering in headphones.

Beats by Dr. Dre?
Hello Kitty headphones?

1 Like

I guess that’s true… ??

1 Like

Agreed!! I could care less about the Bentley branding, however, I do love the style and rose gold/copper accent of it all. Personal preference, but it just works for me.

I personally love the look and build of the Radiance.

Really enjoy how they sound for the genres I listen to EDM, Heavy, Funk.

Personally would enjoy more soundstage. They sound very in your face so music sounds quite congested. I dont mind this so much, what I dislike the most is the lack of lateral definition.

Really enjoying the TH900 (with EQ) as the soundstage its more 3d like and envelopes you and everything sounds more seperated.

The downside of the TH900 is that they are not fully closed so it restrics the usage of this headphone for me.

Nothing is perfect I guess.

In regards to the soundstage, it’s not something Focal has been well known for with their headphones. What they lack in soundstage, they make up for in different areas such as their dynamics, great tuning, and imaging/detail.

I love the Radiance as well for the reasons you mentioned, and it’s something I hope to get long-term very soon. If the Celestee was tuned closer to the Radiance, I think I would have liked it better, personally.

I’m going solely off of audio memory (which is always difficult) but I felt that the Radiance actually has more soundstage to it then my Clear MG Pro’s did. For a closed back, I was ok with the stage of the Radiance and surprised as well being a Focal.

That feedback makes me even more excited to try out the Radiance again long-term!

Please let me know what you think then of the stage when you do… curious if we’d line up or I’m nuts lol :slight_smile:

Will do! It probably won’t be until after CanJam. I’m prepping for a move, so no new headphones/gear for a while.

2 Likes

Hello! I pulled the trigger on the Radiance yesterday. Xmas present. Seems the prevailing con is the OEM cable.
What recommendations do you have on a decent (upgrade) replacement without breaking the bank? Open to boutique, custom or branded cables.

2 Likes

I ordered a cable from LQI. Basically picked it up for my mojo2. Good quality, quick and won’t break the bank.

6 Likes

My favorite budget cables are by Hart, especially because you can re-use them if you get other headphones, by buying additional connectors.

Next step up for me is something by Arctic Cables. I have a Cuprum, which isn’t sold by them any more, and I’m not sure what the replacement is called, but it was one of their “just above entry level” cables when I bought it. Arctic builds good quality cables and offers a lifetime warranty. I don’t have a Radiance, but I do use it extensively with my Stellia and Celestee.

Edit: I’ll add that there are quite a few reputable cable makers, many of whom probably source the wire from the same suppliers. Since I doubt that there’s anyone here that’s tried every cable company, you’ll get a lot of “I like XYX company” and at the end of they day, you can probably trust the recommendations without feeling like you have to find “the best”.

1 Like

I’ve been looking at Arctic for a different pair of headphones, but I think the Magnus S (4 x 20 AWG) replaced the Cuprum (8 x 26 AWG [23-AWG per polarity]) for headphones, but the latter is still around for IEMs.

Arctic’s copper-only line seems to start with the Define (4 x 26-AWG) and then go Magnus S (4 x 20-AWG), Magnus (4 x 18-AWG), Talos (8 x 20-AWG [17-AWG per polarity]), and finally Apeiron (4 x 15.5-AWG).

I’m currently using a set of Hart cables with my Focal Elegia and don’t see a need to upgrade from there. Their system is great for the reasons @PaisleyUnderground states - if you get a new amp, just get a new interconnect.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve heard of Hart a lot lately. Positive remarks. Will be looking at them closer.

Thanks for the info. Will check out LQI. I also bought the iFi Gryphon planning on moving up to a decent IEM (now have an Elixir), and now a great set of headphones. Will the Gryphon be a great match powering them and getting the most out of the Radiance?

1 Like

No problem. I don’t have the Gryphon, but I’m sure it’ll be fine. Radiance is easy to drive. As for pairing/synergy, I’m not sure.

I don’t have a Radiance, but I do own a Gryphon, and in fact I use the Gryphon and one of my Focals (Celestee or Stellia) as my travel kit. It has more than enough power for the Radiance and most headphones other than extreme current-hungry planars. I’ve successfully used the Gryphon with a ZMF Verite, Caldera and a RAD-0.

1 Like