@Jaethan and I were talking earlier today and he had the idea to do a “year in review” thread for 2018. Sometimes the headphone world goes by in a blur and I think it’s a great idea to mark some milestones of 2018 for posterity.
Basically, this is a place to discuss any noteworthy headphone events that happened this year.
Please provide links if relevant.
I’ll keep this original thread up-to-date as a synopsis:
- The HEADPHONE Community launched in May
- Sennheiser announced the HD 820 closed-back at CES
- Focal launched the Elegia closed-back at RMAF
- Audeze launched the Mobius (initially through kickstarter)
- Campfire Audio launched the Cascade, Atlas, Comet, Equinox and Solaris
- Ossic crowdfunded $3.2m to build headphones and shuttered
- Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC. Did they copy someone else’s work?
- Tyll Herstens retires from Inner Fidelity