Headphones Battlestations

That’s awesome! I’ll tray an post one tomorrow, after I get “permission”. :laughing:

I remember those diaper days. As sleepless as those days were, there’s nothing like holding that beautiful little person in your hands. It’s magical, and it flies by. Enjoy.

2 Likes

So not really a proper “battlestation”, but I finally have a free day to just listen to gear. I am planning a massive purge soon so I figured it would be fun to just gather the family one last time. There’s some stuff that’s loaners, but most of it is mine. And there’s a few pieces missing (e.g. R2R 11, Magni 3, cheaper IEMs, etc) that are either on loan or stored in boxes somewhere. Anyways, figured you guys might get a kick out of this. If you want impressions/comparisons on anything let me know.

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

19 Likes

Please purge all SPL, ZMF and Focal stuff to me. Thanks.

PS. I also accept Stax, Sennheiser, and Audeze.

8 Likes

Unfortunately, the SPL isn’t mine. But the Focal, Stax, and Audeze stuffs will most likely be completely cleared out. Basically all that will remain will be ZMF and some Sennheiser =)

3 Likes

I agree, I’m purging almost all non-ZMF headphones :laughing:…I’ll probably be listing my Focal Clears here shortly…

2 Likes

Yeah man, there’s just something about ZMF. I don’t think they are for everyone, but if that ZMF house sound fits your taste they just stand out above the rest. And you end up just liking all of them in different ways. I’ve got Atticus and Auteur now. I plan on adding Verite soon. I’m also really interested in hearing the planars too.

3 Likes

The Aeolus killed the Clear for me, my Verite curbed my Utopia desire lol…and I’m waiting patiently on the soft launch of the closed back Verite, Zach said it was a couple months out at least (but don’t quote me on that) lol.

I’m keeping my HD800(sdr), Campfire Cascade, TH-x00 PH, and Focal Elegia for the time being…

I’m also moving more an more towards tube amps…

But that could just be because I have the Phonitor XE lol, which basically is the peak of Solid states for me.

4 Likes

May we argue where the STAX gets purged? I have a purgatory available. Also for some better Grados.

1 Like

Oh what, I am out of the ZMF loop, I didn’t know a closed back Verite was coming lol. Makes sense though since Auteur/Eikon use the same drivers and Aeolus/Atticus use the same drivers.

I think when the dust settles I will be keeping Auteur, Atticus, HD800 (sdr), and HD6XX, but that one will mostly sit in the closet and only used for reviews. I will then add Verite for the last spot. And then for source gear I just want to keep RME ADI-2 DAC, EC ZDT Jr, and then pick up the Cavalli Liquid Platinum. I feel like that setup would be really solid.

I’m probably going to cut a really good deal on the Stax gear. I got it at a good deal a while ago and happy to pass that along.

6 Likes

I am intrigued by the liquid platinum… but I kind of want to hear it first…I just don’t know anyone that has one, that I can listen to it before buying.

Also good choices on headphones, I’m a newly converted EC ZDT JR convert…been wanting one for over a year it seems, finally got my hands on one, and in the middle of modding it to move the transformer when (Mass)Drop put out a new wave of them…so I picked up a new model as well…once I get it I’ll open it up to see what the differences are.

1 Like

Not a “Battlestation” as such, and probably belongs more in this thread, but there’s more traffic on this one, so here it is. And this is a system “in transition”, mostly due to the arrival, and impact, of the SR1a:

The “same day from Amazon” shelf will be replaced with the Chord Ensemble stands for the DAVE, Blu Mk2 CD Transport/M-Scaler and Étude amplifiers, it’s just there until those show up.

The more observant of you may notice that there’s a Hugo M-Scaler in the picture too. Previously I was running that into the DAVE. I decided for this new stack that I wanted the Blu Mk2 instead, since it has the same M-Scaler capability but matches the Choral components in the stack. It also includes a CD transport that I’ll probably never use (I don’t buy CDs if I can help it anymore).

The Hugo M-Scaler will get moved to a new rig, driving a Hugo TT 2 and, maybe (if it’ll does a decent job with the SR1a) the TToby amplifier as well (so I can have the SR1a in two rigs).

When it’s done this will be on the left (only in black, and with two Études), and Woos on the right, and all the other crap, including the ugly shelf, will be gone!

Yes, I still have the RME ADI-2 DAC -> Phonitor X, but they’re not in my primary rig at this time as I wanted to avoid a pre-amp in the SR1a chain, DAVE has a decen solid-state headphone output, and the Woo WA234 MkII MONOs are always fed directly by the DAVE anyway.

10 Likes

Given that @torq secondary (or third string) set up is @TylersEclectic and @Luckbad’s main setup, i see the obvious logical next step up for you two are now.

:smiley:

4 Likes

Oh dear … “is not my fault” … the SR1a made me do it!

Still … probably a good thing I don’t know their respective wives or, more correctly, that they don’t know me …

I was running the 2nd output from DAVE to the Phonitor X - both for review purposes and for active listening, especially with my more demanding headphones (DAVE just can’t drive the LCD-4 and Abyss as well as the Phonitor X can).

But DAVE only has two outputs, and I don’t want to diddle with splitters/switches right now, so one set is direct to the power amps for the SR1a and the other to the tube amp.

The Phonitor X remains the best solid-state headphone amplifier I’ve heard and will remain in my review setup, with the RME ADI-2 DAC, for the foreseeable future!

And, ironically … I’ve been sat on the deck with the Cayin N8 and the ZMF Vérité for most of the day …

2 Likes

Here’s the photo as promised. His display is messy and crowded, but he’s 13, so yeah. Lego Voltron with Bandai S.H. Monsters various kaiju. He’s getting the newer King Ghidorah for his birthday but I don’t know how he’s gonna fit it because it’s about twice the size as the one in the photo. He’ll probably kick out my Voltron. :laughing:

6 Likes

I really need to build mine lol…

I ordered a new shelf to sit above my amps, that will hold some of my toys :wink: I’ll probably rotate them through and also keep some of my headphones on it.

2 Likes

In advance of my DAVE heading off for repair … I wanted to grab another DAC to play with in the interim … so a bit of jiggery-pokery, and some standing in the rain later … and …

This will prompt a definite go/no-go on this new DAC/amp for the 2nd rig. And means it’ll make sense to try a TToby as a power-amp for the SR1a for a much more compact rig, too.

And, if nothing else, it’ll keep me out of trouble for a few hours …

14 Likes

Wow, colors look damn consistent, regardless products from three unrelated companies (Chord, Raal, Woo)

If I nitpick the photo, desk is just too brightly woody while entire gears look quite sleek and futuristic.

70% joke!

3 Likes

I’m blaming the desk on a combination of bizarre wall-sconce halogens and the very odd quality of natural light today … combined with my complete lack of willingness to break out the proper camera!

Both the Woo and Chord Choral pieces (DAVE/Blu) are polished, anodized, metal - so you still get the polished/metal grain visible in them. The M-Scaler + Hugo TT 2 are, powder-coated and are smoother. Even in person you have to pay attention to see that, though.

2 Likes

"
Wait–those futuristic-looking tube amps are from Woo? Damn! If Harrison Ford did any listening to headphones in BLADE RUNNER, those would be the amps!

6 Likes

Yep, those are the Woo WA234 MK2 MONO amps.

They can run 300B, 2A3 or 45 series tubes, and have selectable outputs for power (up to 8 watts into headphone loads), and have switchable plate/cathode outputs … they’ll also drive speakers.

The mono-block arrangement is interesting, and a bit fiddly at first, since you have to set volume independently on each channel. They use a 42-position stepped attenuator though, so matching isn’t a big deal.

I get asked to take them meets a lot … which doesn’t happen as the pair weighs over 130 lbs …

3 Likes