HiFiMan Susvara Over-Ear Planar Headphone - Official Thread

EQ is totally optional with the Susvara - as someone else mentioned, there’s really nothing to ‘fix’ here. With that said, of course every headphone can be improved to personal taste, so give this a try and see how you like it. Might be a bit too much bass for some.

2 Likes

Lol! Maybe because some want to do anything they can to get what they want?

Cables, dacs, eq, whatever works for me to get there.
Weaker bass reports even with eq on the Sus is offputting to me.

1 Like

Susvara bass improves with proper amplification. Now, it won’t be a bass cannon but that’s not what it’s trying to do.

Thanks @Resolve

Hey man @jlbrach

Never thought I would ask for a Susvara EQ. You know I love the stock tuning above all else’s.

But our friend @Resolve’s EQ improved the LCD5 so much, had to ask and try. Lol.

Will report back once I have had some time with the EQ!

4 Likes

Headphones.com has five final sale EF1000 amps.

As it’s a hefty investment, but you usually do need to wait for them to be custom made, have any of the staff got a chance to listen to the Susvara on that beast?

2 Likes

I remember like ten years ago when I was adding low shelves to most of my headphones I was considered a heretic and had to be careful not to mention it on the forums because it would get pages of rage. Lol, now all the cool kids are doing it. How things have changed (and thats great!)

3 Likes

Thats interesting, I thought they were really uncommon. I wonder if there are actually 5 in stock? Would be neat to hear if any of the team has had an opportunity to hear the EF1000.

1 Like

It says 5 are in stock, and available for overnight shipping.

I have an idea: @Resolve why don’t you listen to one, give us a short review, and then you guys can sell it to me as open box :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It would be interesting to find out if they have 5 in stock. I take “one of 5 units” to mean they have one of the five units in the wild and it can be purchased.

That’s possible. I thought it meant 1 of 5 available.

Hi everyone,

I’d like to share an experience I had with Susvara headphones. Really hope I’m not crazy and someone out there had the same experience as me.

I bought a used Susvara for a bargain price. According to the seller, he purchased it from a local EU dealer in late 2020. It looks brand new and sounds amazing… or so I thought, until I met up with a fellow Susvara owner to demo some amps at a hifi store. She said that her unit was purchased brand new from Hifiman’s website a few month ago, and I have no reason to doubt that. Visually, the new Susvara has a bit darker color, but that’s it.

We compared the sound on the few amps that were available to us, and noticed the following discrepancies:

1. My 2020 unit has a small bass bump around 80 Hz. The 2022 unit is as flat as flat goes in the low end.
  2. The 2022 unit has some weirdness going on at 1-2 kHz. It sounds too mellow, not raspy enough, as if the singer is about 20 years younger than they actually are.
  3. My 2020 unit has a very significant dip in the upper treble region, somewhere around 8kHz. The 2022 unit has a much less noticeable dip closer to 10kHz. This makes the 2022 unit more airy and shimmery. It might even give it a false sense of details.

I don’t have a measuring rig to test the discrepancies described above. We run a few Sine sweeps and measured by ear. Just 2 people who heard the same differences, so there’s that. And it does not come down to pad wear. We swapped pads during the test and came to the same conclusions. Burn-in could be a partial explanation, but I don’t believe so. Planar magnetic drivers don’t “burn-in”. And even if they did, the differences we heard were too significant to explain away, especially the 3ed one.

So, did any of you try to compare Susvaras? Dear Headphones.com team, did you have a chance to measure a few units, or all the graphs out there are based on a sample size of 1? If you think I’m imagining things, just tell it like it is… I guess it is also possible.

To clarify:
Both the units we have on hand are amazing. I don’t regret buying a Susvara. In fact, I sort of prefer my old 2020 unit with the slight bass bump.

1 Like

I haven’t heard of this… Was the older one 2.5mm connectors and the newer one 3.5mm?
Did you use the same cable? Probably shouldn’t make that much of a difference but maybe it could.

1 Like

Nah, both 3.5mm stock surgical tubing thing, plugged to a Burson HP amp. There was also just one speaker cable to 3.5mm for the Parasound A21 Amp we used.

2 Likes

I’ve owned three separate pairs. An early 2.5mm model, a later 2.5mm model, and a newer 3.5mm model. All three were more or less exactly the same. I don’t think there have been any tuning changes to the Susvara beyond usual slight unit variance. The only changes have been cosmetic.

I would guess pad wear would make a way larger difference than any unit variations.

3 Likes

Can you share a photo of your susvara?

Maybe also a close up of the outside grilles and inside cups, if possible with a light source enabling to see the driver.

I am just wondering if there is some kind of filter on the outside or inside. I have never heard a Susvara in person but I know that Hifiman like to make silent revisions now and again, just wondering if there is some kind of dust cover or something on yours that’s not on the other(s).

3 Likes

This is actualy a good call. for a little bit there they had some with magnet issues that would certainly have changed the signature. If you look at the magnet structures all of the lines should be parallel. If they form a V anywhere you should RMA the unit.

1 Like

First I’ve heard of the magnet issues. Any internal shots or pics of drivers suffering from this?

Good to know, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Left is what all 4 magnets should look like. Right is the messed up ones. Seems lkke it was one specific batch that made it past qc a while back

1 Like

“made past QC” on a $6000 headphone… :rofl:

2 Likes

I mean, i dont think ive ever seen someone claim hifiman has even an acveptable level of qc…

1 Like