How much does esthetics and/or looks come into play on a purchase

Was it Deion Sanders that said, “If you look good, you play good”? I kid.

Sound quality, build quality, comfort, suitability for use case, as prerequisites. Aesthetics and design as a tie-breaker for luxury products, which I consider hi-fi and mid-fi audio to be. Aesthetics aren’t as important for non-luxury items. The aforementioned listing of factors is not comprehensive.

2 Likes

yes he did

5 Likes

ZMF sales on stock versus LTD units may be a relevant data point on this topic.

1 Like

Oh for sure, since we know that ZMF hits all the boxes " Sound Quality, Comfort, Build Quality, Simple Styling and Functionality" all the models are a no brainier.,

2 Likes

I posted this over here

but thought it was relevant to this discussion too as I would not have purchased this interconnect except for esthetics. And on the back no less where no one will see it.

4ppbp5

4 Likes

I’ve got the exact red interconnect too. It’s sitting in a drawer because I don’t need it right now. My amps have a rats nest of black cables behind them, and a single red connection for my DAC (so it’s easy to spot in a sea of amp cables).

Option B pleases elegance buyers but only works on perfectly matched boxes. Why not get an all-in-one and do away with the need entirely?

Now let’s talk about the real aesthetic issue here. Who follows the advice of someone wearing a blaze orange down jacket indoors??? Even if a celebrity… :wink:

1 Like

There’s a functionality component to it though. On my Modi + Vali stack, the Pyst cables were stiff enough that they would tend to make the Vali move around, or even flip over and on its head. Luckily I didn’t break a tube. Plus, it’s about 3x as bulky as option B.

For the mid-size chassis it’s not a problem though.

And I never did get that meme. I’m with you there.

Thinking about it, but everyone says the Schiit DAC modules don’t sound as good as their dedicated DACs. Besides I like having the volume knob up off the desk. :joy:

Option B also holds the Schiit Stack together. It keeps the Magni from sliding around on the Modi when you plug the headphone cable in.

1 Like

Ah just add some Blue Tac, a little dab will do ya. Its not moving.

Well, that’s the heart of the issue. For some people looks play a much larger role than quality. Standard interconnects do not compromise on quality. Most all-in-ones do compromise but look sleek.

Bad, unaesthetic designs are sometimes called “RV style,” whereby every random bit is just bolted into place. This can be functional and cost-effective, and parallels HiFi components with lots of wires. Apple has a reputation for being easy to use, but this is often not true. They provide slippery cables, clean but vague interfaces, and cut out key functions (e.g., USB ports, headphone jacks) in their pursuit of aesthetics. It often sucks…pick your poison…

1 Like

It is so hard not to consider aesthetics, especially on expensive and personal items, since it is still so ingrained in us from an evolutionary standpoint. I have noticed though that it is not a static concept though and that which aesthetics are important changes as I learn more about a something. Certain designs that I once thought were ugly are now beautiful to me since I know why the design choices are important and what they help accomplish. Like once I hear how amazing an ugly product sounds it will then become aesthetically pleasing to me because I now equate the look with that amazing sound.

2 Likes

I don’t care about aesthetics. But then again, Im not married.

Has noting to do with being married. :grinning: You either buy gear on how it looks vs how it performs or both.

Given that this is my car:

you might be supposed that aesthetics don’t affect my purchases a lot :wink:
My priorities are comfort (if an headphone sounds good but it’s a pain to wear it’s not for me), sound and look. The rest are details to me.

3 Likes