Looking for advice re digitizing CD collection

That’s interesting. I’ve never had that bad of an experience…

I could see that being a problem definitely, but you could convert everything to FLAC since both are lossless anyway and you wouldn’t lose quality (at least in theory).

1 Like

I second recommend FreeFileSync and also recommend Syncthing and Gs Richcopy 360 as a backup/copy tools for such a case

4 Likes

For Mac users out there, try XLD (X Lossless Decoder) for CD rips if you want more control than iTunes (or now Apple Music) offers for ripping.

I’ve had really good luck with it when iTunes occasionally chokes on a problematic disc. It also offers way more ripping and error correction options than iTunes, and you can rip to FLAC as well as ALAC for lossless. It will also output ALAC to FLAC, as well as mp3 etc. It’s donationware too, and it won’t nag you if you don’t. Highly recommended!

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23430/x-lossless-decoder

3 Likes

Yup, that’s what I use when converting files…

I’ll always call it iTunes…way better name!

1 Like

XLD works pretty well on Macs and is a good software.
The quality of ripping is very high.
It is 5 years now that I use it and it never gave me problems.
Good hint.
Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

I needed a digital transport and since in the years I’ve collected not only vinyl records but CDs also I pulled the trigger and ordered a Innuos Zen Mini MK3 with external LPSU.
The CD ripping factor has been decisive in my choice of the digital transport.
Interesting piece of equipment and I hope the sound will be as good as it promises.

3 Likes