Metal571 Youtube Hiatus

In his most recent video @metal571 discusses his decision to take a break from Youtube headphone reviews.

As you can see, @metal571 is a member of our community. Hopefully he’ll become more active here. Looking forward to future content wherever that may be.

9 Likes

Can you summarize?

It was no longer fun for him to make review videos. He also mentioned negativity in the headphone community.

I sincerely hope he becomes more active on our forum. We’re in this for the love of music (one assumes) and it shouldn’t be ruined by anonymous s**t-posters on other forums/platforms.

8 Likes

That is sad fact of internet communities. Shit posters infiltrate and share their misery with others until the communities reflect their sickness.

7 Likes

This is one of the main reason I stopped posting on a certain site, that really upset me and I realized there is more to life than trying to be one of the “gang” and see the world in their manner…so far this site has been a joy to read and post…sharing instead of making you feel your opinion or experience is second rate or technically inaccurate…

Alex
:>)

12 Likes

So glad to hear that, Alex. The committee here has been remarkably drama free, and we’re glad to take in any refugees from more contentious parts of the net.

Thanks for being here. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

This forum has been a great place for people to express their opinions and experiences without harsh judgements. I’m glad to be a part of a community that welcomes anyone with an interest or passion for music.

Thank you @andrew and @taronlissimore for creating this forum.

10 Likes

Yea, he’s mentioned it several times in the past month that he wanted to take a break from it all and he finally did it. I think some of the issues regarding the LCD1 review and how it wasn’t taken very well by another large internet forum of “friends” didn’t help either. He plans to still be in the hobby, but just not do anything formal.

I don’t blame him. Reviews take a lot of time and effort and I’ve already gotten burned out a few times doing it. I’ve been on a bit of a hiatus myself, mostly due to work travel and work commitments, but it does feel nice to use my own hardware for a lengthy period of time.

Metal is aware of this forum, but I haven’t seen him post anything here yet. I do find this a nice safe zone of the internet for audio discussion. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I totally understand that. I was glad to see that he had ‘early’ access to the LCD-1, and enjoyed the review.

I know he’s a member here (he confirmed it on my comment of the above YouTube video), and I’d like to see him become active here. His opinions as anyone’s are welcomed.

2 Likes

Yeah but guys, I’m just a “rando” youtuber according to a Highly Regarded Forum, remember?

18 Likes

Welcome to our forum!

2 Likes

It’s ok we’ve decided to keep you :heart:

4 Likes

I honestly don’t know whom you’re referring to, and it doesn’t really matter. Besides, you know what they say about opinions, everybody has one. And assholes. Everyone has one of those as well. :thinking:

Glad you posted and I hope to see you post more often on here. You’re opinions/impressions are welcomed here as anyone else’s. Hopefully you can get involved in the:

Any hoot, glad you posted!

5 Likes

Everyone is a rando YouTuber over there. Don’t take it personally. (Or do. Choice is yours.) Speaking from experience, SBAF isn’t an audio forum. It really isn’t. It’s a small group of people which has a very specific social structure, and most people don’t / won’t recognize this when reading or participating there. (It’s like a mini-ASR in many ways.)

If you aren’t in the core ‘click’, then you’re a Rando. Even some people who have Friend status are considered Randos by the core group. Trust me.

So, there are a few ways to regard this. SBAF is an online audio forum that is hostile to outsiders and any opinions that don’t align to the core membership, or …

A closed off society of friends, with all the good and bad things that go along with that. (Opinion echo chamber, not a broad variety of opinions, narrow focus, etc.) It doesn’t mean it’s bad, it’s just different. You don’t walk into a rough and roudy biker bar where nobody knows you, start playing Brittany Spears on the juke box, put The Bachelor up on the big screen, talk crap about Harley Davidson, and loudly declare your opinions are facts while demanding others respect your choices and bow to your preferences. That’s exactly what I see the majority of Randos do there, and they usually find their butt being kicked out the door, hastily.

SBAF isn’t for everyone. Hell, it’s not for 99% of people. Just because it exists doesn’t mean you should pay attention to it. I took a 6 month break from it because I was upset about the condensing comments from most of the moderators, their tendency to be dismissive instead of helpful, and many other quirks that pressed my buttons. I’m glad I did, as it put a lot of things into perspective for me. I’m not defending their behavior, but I think we should just call a pig a pig and recognize it for what it is. It’s something I wouldn’t get upset over.

Anyway, enjoy your break. I’ve seen lots of your videos and hope you pick that up again in the future.

8 Likes

The core participants here are very low drama. They avoid personal attacks, and there’s little snobbery. Those inciting drama are generally ignored, and so they routinely fade away.

Welcome.

11 Likes

Hi @metal571! You’re not a rando to me. Hope you enjoy your early retirement. Miss you already. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Welcome @metal571!

5 Likes

I remember this thread but that’s just SBAF folklore, I never treated it very seriously. Your reviews were mentioned many times with a great degree of respect, I am going to miss your channel.

4 Likes

“rando” reminds me of “Mando”…

4 Likes

Anytime you put something out on the internet you are taking a chance for some keyboard tough guy to sit behind their screen and say unkind things as they know there will be little repercussions for their typed words. It is the sad fact of the social media, you tube, internet world we live in. That’s one thing I love about this forum and community. @taronlissimore and @andrew and all the other original founding members have created a place where everyone here is super supportive and knowledgeable. Of course I am a member of a few forums and follow some reviewers on youtube but to be honest this is the only forum/community online I visit daily and look forward to it! Glad to see @metal571 here with us!

13 Likes