Munich High-End 2022

Just posting my Day 2 thoughts. The headphone that’s captured my attention more than any other this trip has been one that I did not expect. I spent some more time with the Meze 109 Pro in their private listening room, and I found it to be really pleasant and enjoyable - something I could see myself personally owning in the future even. It’s also really comfortable and downright gorgeous.

I think some folks might be expecting this to be just an open-back 99 classic (as was I), but let me assure you it’s not. It’s categorically better, at least from first impression. It has that similar Meze warm tilt with a gentle downslope and midbass emphasis, but then it also has a present balance throughout the ear gain region, with a subtle emphasis to the upper treble and air region to my ear, but it’s done so in a very smooth and tasteful manner.

Speaking with founder Antonio Meze, he mentioned something that I think is very important for us on the evaluative side of things to remember. It’s that headphones should bring joy to the listening experience. Some of us (me) spend a lot of time analyzing and scrutinizing every fine little aspect of the sound but when you take a step back, you also have to ask if what you’re hearing brings you joy - and I can say that the 109 definitely brought me joy.

Also… it sure sounded detailed! It was being run off a high end Auris tube amp, so I’m not sure how much is the headphone and how much is the amp, but this is a headphone that should be on everyone’s radar. It’s certainly one that I’m looking forward to getting in to review once it’s released. Price point is still not set but they expect it to be under $1k.

22 Likes