Music that thrills you

WOW…Jared_Ferkin…thank you for your detailed thoughts and samples(especially being on Itunes since that is what I use. Will take me a bit to go through the sample and match your thoughts to mine.

1 Like

This forum can be addicting. I get by with a little help from my friends.

Tidal, Roon, dug out my STAX a few months ago, got the Mjolnir-modified STAX SRM-T1S tube amp. Ordered the iFi xDSD. But it’s about the music. So I clicked “Master” on Roon, and browsed. There it was, a May 2017 remix of Sgt Pepper. Is there any music I know better? How many times have I seen the movie? Played the vinyl?

So now I’m listening to the MQA streaming version. I really can’t do any review here. This is not about a review. It’s about putting together a very very nice chain that lets me enjoy and hear the music, perhaps more clearly than I ever have. It was pretty good in the movie theaters. It was very good on vinyl through my speakers. But the detail in this headphone setup is astonishing.

Thank you @Andrew for sending me the invite. And @Torq for the explanations about setup. And @spritzer for this marvelous amp. And to all of you and your discussions of everything that rekindled my interest.

And now I’m just going to listen… She’s Leaving Home.

4 Likes

I am a musician and have very eclectic tastes, enjoy :smiley:

2 Likes

Pretty new to the high-fi headphone world having recently purchased of a set of LCD-X’s running the EQ setting from this video. I am still waiting on my Jotunheim 2 to arrive but in the mean time I have been listening to music on my old Fiio e09K.

There is one album I listened to recently that I’ve found really amazing on this setup, the soundtrack to the Phantom Thread by Jonny Greenwood. There are a few tracks in particular, House of Woodcock, Alma, and Barbra Rosa that I keep coming back to but the album as a whole has amazing imaging, compositions, and tonal separation of the instruments. I’ve just been listening to it at night with the lights down low floating in the music.

I wouldn’t listen to this on Spotify only because you can really hear the compression but here is a link anyway

2 Likes

Highly recommend this if anyone wants to listen to a banger of a score!

5 Likes

A good movie too. This is the second Judge Dredd movie, starring Karl Urban, not the dreadful Stallone monstrosity.

3 Likes

What really touches my heart and soul is the Queen’s music!

1 Like

Nick Drake

Look no further.

1 Like

The music of Louis Armstrong really makes me thrilled. It is so beautiful!

6 Likes

I know music is subjective, but I will always say there is one perfect song out there. Claude Debussy Clair De Lune. It’s a song I have to avoid unless I’m alone because I will almost always break down in tears from its beauty. There’s just something about it that melts all your fears and problems away. It’s a song that says everything will be alright. It captures that perfect summer night with a cool breeze feel.

2 Likes

Hey HEADPHONErs,

I’ve rolled and bounced and twisted and turned down the rabbit hole considerably since I made an account here … two weeks ago? Two weeks ago, I was just a stereo guy, wondering whether it was worth the fuss and convenience.

At this point I have my first (IEM) setup and I’m just starting to get comfortable with – and really excited – about it: Dunu SA6’s plus a Chord Mojo, for streaming hi-res/lossless from my computer or with CCK on the iPhone. (Side note: I’m doing my research, but could still use some “tips” (heh, heh) on fit/seal; see my other thread on this here.)

I’m also set up with six months on Qobuz, Tidal, and Apple Music. (I think I’ll be sticking with Qobuz above them all, and Spotify is getting cancelled…)

This thread is literally just to say that I am coming into a whole new world of detail that I didn’t know existed, having previously been a 16/44 and vinyl guy. I heard Paul Simon briefly turn his head and scratch his beard in between a vocal delivery on Everything Put Together Falls Apart and it changed me.

Use this space to tell me everything you think I should listen to. I love it all. I’m looking for discovery via high resolution. Contemporary post-bop, well-recorded classics in any genre (especially acoustic guitar / piedmont blues), outstanding classical performances, opera and vocal performances that will show me the limits of my IEMs, anything – just bear in mind what I’m listening through at the moment.

Until I crack and buy this pair of beat-up Clears tomorrow… and then a new DAC, amp… oh hell just drop me the music.

Yours,
Matthew

5 Likes

@czuba - Sharing a fairly eclectic mix of of mostly hi-res tracks on Qobuz - my personal test track list.
Some tracks here you’ll find noted in articles as examples of detail or other points, others just my own tastes and tracks I wanted to hear with different gear - hope you find something here you enjoy!

https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/3552778

Staind

Literally, I’ll listen to Staind on ANY kind of speaker I have (even my phone’s speakers!)

Pop-down text

But seriously, if you’ve never heard of Staind, you should listen to them! They kick-ass in terms of rock/metal music! If you want to direct access some songs, I’ve provided a link below to my favorite Staind song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDKfztZzYZ4

The one song that no matter what, blows me away and conveys more emotion that any other is
“Guilty” by Bonnie Raitt.
Randy Newman’s original is good, but Bonnie kills it. You can hear the self loathing and despair just dripping off each word…
really, give it a listen.

1 Like

I know I’ve pointed it out before, and it is a rendition of a traditional song, but I played it again today and this is the song that always does it for me.

2 Likes

@pennstac - Great song.
Also from them, this one for me also:

https://open.qobuz.com/track/11044453

1 Like

Oh Yes. 20 characters.

1 Like

Ok, so I have a question for y’all: What type of music (genre and/or artist) do you listen to AND like?

My favorite genre has to be Metal/Nu-metal and Rock music

My favorite artist: Staind (especially the Tormented album!)

If you wish, you could also provide your favorite album!

Does anyone else listen to Staind or is it just me?
  • Yeah, I listen to them
  • Sorry, I don’t listen to them

0 voters

I always say I’ll listen to almost anything from Baroque to Black Metal.
The almost part excludes anything heard on “popular” commercial radio

Although I’m not sure if I’d call it my favourite (but it is in the running), the first album I go to when I get a new piece of gear is “From Here You’ll Watch the World Go By” by The Legendary Pink Dots

1 Like

I honestly have no clue. I listen what i like without knowing it’s genre. I’m really clueless about genres. I listen pretty much everything except more emotional/edgy stuff which i listened a lot when i was younger.

I think i like orchestral, instrumental, soundtrack type of stuff the most right now. I like the Weeknd, i like 70’s Turkish psychedelic rock, i like some popular hits like Dance Monkey, i still listen my good old Radiohead and alikes, Lorn/Massive Attack etc, rap-hiphop, dua lipa, tame impala, imagine dragons, duke dumont-dj snake etc

How can i know the genre of the music i’m listening ? It’s confusing with all the subgenres etc.

1 Like