“Now Playing”

This song has everything I love about progressive rock music: wide dynamics, a story arc with climax and epilogue, polyrhythms, dissonance in just the right amount, and a plethora of instruments and sounds effects depending on the need. It’s all over the place in style with sections of metal, jazz, acapella, and… a foley break(?). The lyrics remind me of something Peter Gabriel would have penned for Genesis. The reason I chose to post it today of all days I’ll leave for you to discover. :wink:

2 Likes

Great tune! I’ve rolled back into prog rock after drowning myself in Yes so many years ago. Spotify turned me on to some great bands like Moron Police, Haken, Reign of Kindo and Thank You Scientist. So much fun to listen to with headphones!

Give this one a shot if you haven’t heard Moron Police before:

2 Likes

Very cool. Yes is where it all started for me all too many years ago.

Check this out:

2 Likes

One of my favorite albums in general. Never gets boring.

I’m listening to:

1 Like

I love all the Gabriel Genesis stuff. I see Steve Hackett every time he comes around as he is still an incredible guitarist all these years later. He has been playing a set of his solo stuff, then a Genesis set the last 10 years or so.

2 Likes

If you like Gabriel-era Genesis, do you also like Fish-era Marillion? Their first 2 (Script For A Jester’s Tear and Fugazi) are two of my all time favorite albums.

1 Like

Yep, love all the Fish stuff. Misplaced Childhood too. Also Vigil In a Wilderness Of Mirrors.
“Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors” by Fish Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors by Fish

Although it’s probably Fish’s Radio Kaos analog if you’re a Roger Waters fan

3 Likes

I’ve seen both The Musical Box and The Waiting Room Genesis tribute bands. The Musical Box concert was impressive. They recreate the classic Genesis tours right down to the costumes and visuals. The Waiting Room was a lot more fun to see though.

1 Like

I saw The Musical Box perform the “Black Tour”. It was cool, but it was more about the theater than the music to me.
If you ever get the chance to see Hackett I highly recommend it. His band is really good.
Have you ever heard Live In Liverpool?

Yes exactly. The Waiting Room was much better as a pure concert experience. I’m glad I’ve seen both.

Nope. Checking it out now. :+1:

2nd disc is all Genesis.

What a great article! I learned a lot and really enjoyed all the editing/mixing discussion. Maybe in one of my other myrad of lifetimes…

Thanks once again for sharing :+1:t2:

1 Like

I need to also post this in the Female Vocalist thread. She’s new but Awesome!

Meant to reply to @paisleyUnderground

He was like a cat from Japan
:grinning:

1 Like

Love the randomly found songs, never heard this before, but it sounded great

“Garden of Remembrance” from Fish’s 2020 album is great.

On Qobuz, the only Hi-Res files of Jethro Tull are the Steve Wilson remixes. I like Porcupine Tree and Blackfield. He’s very talented…but I can’t help feeling his involvement with Opeth ( one of my favorite bands ever!!) is what (in-part) helped influence their transformation into the group they are today. Man I miss the old Opeth sound… Damn you Steve Wilson !!!(shakes clenched fist in the air) :crazy_face::pleading_face: Oh, he’s also involved with Orphaned Land. Who also did a collaboration with Steve Hackett.

1 Like

I used to hear this song in the radio a lot, back when I was a kid. Never noticed the amount of plosives in his voice though.

And today, the HD800S is the one to blame. :hear_no_evil:

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=9OfoTaLXrUo