“Now Playing”

Ever get so deep into a series of roon “recommended albums” on a genre you have no idea hat the hell you’re listening to, and are afraid to back out cause you feel like you’re 3 degrees from finding an album that you’re gonna love?

Didn’t make it, but this is sure interesting anyway:

3 Likes

Just by coincidence, I was listening to a Spencer Krug (Wolf Parade vocalist) side project called Moonface this evening. A little more mellow than Wolf Parade.

Spencer Krug has been in a few other bands too (Sunset Rubdown, Swan Lake), so it’s hard to keep track of his music.

3 Likes
1 Like

RoonShareImage-637543300455332980

2 Likes

Oh and just amazing…

2 Likes

Great rec! That Moon Cabin album is special!!! Thank you.

1 Like

Mfaudio - I remember buying a few tracks from that album off itunes back in the itunes day.

2 Likes

LG still on point :heart_eyes:

3 Likes
5 Likes

I love this album, and it is one I can play all the way through, and it takes me on a ride every time. Good one!

2 Likes
1 Like

@LittleCans - Re: Four Tet - Sixteen Oceans — this is one of the CDs I bought back in the day, unheard, ‘because the cover looked cool’: Four Tet - No More Mosquitoes (Pause-2001) - YouTube

(My Bloody Valentine’s Loveless was one of the other ones - judging music by its cover surprisingly worked out pretty well fairly often.)

4 Likes

@mfadio, @PaisleyUnderground - I just ran across that Wolf Parade album on a qobuz playlist and remembered the posts here - I hadn’t listened to it in years (“Modern World” was a good track) and checked it out again, and realized that was the same singer as Preoccupations (who had also originally been known as Viet Cong - Viet Cong Change Name To Preoccupations confusingly still the old name on qobuz ) - “Continental Shelf” off their first album was one of my favorite tracks of 2015 - sounds like a great lost 80s song. Spotify - Silhouettes on the album is also great - Spotify

4 Likes

@tjg , I don’t think Preoccupations has the same singer as Wolf Parade, or did I misunderstand? They’re both Canadian, so that’s pretty close. :wink:

Anyway, Preoccupations is another good band. I didn’t know Viet Cong changed their name until last year, so I’d assumed from the lack of new albums that they’d broken up. I picked up a Preoccupations CD from my local library last year and thought “they sound familiar”.

1 Like

@PaisleyUnderground - from that name change article - " Preoccupations (fka [Viet Cong] will release their first album under their new name next week… It features Wolf Parade’s Dan Boeckner throughout most of the track…" (I just recognized his voice in both bands), but not the other Wolf Parade singer Spencer Krug - guess Wolf Parade had a couple of vocalists?

2 Likes

@PaisleyUnderground - Also - yeah love getting CDs from the local library! I haven’t done that since Covid.

OK, my mistake, I thought you meant both bands had the same lead singers. Yes, I missed the fact that Dan Boeckner was on that one track.

Boekner was also in Handsome Furs and Divine Fits, both good bands. Canadians are pretty hard-working. :grinning:

1 Like

This is a really interesting baroque pop concept album by the Bee Gees, released in 1969. I like the deluxe edition CD box because it comes with a mono and stereo version of the album. I’m quite a big fan of mono albums from this era, but I think Odessa is glorious in stereo. The only issue is that the stereo is too wide for my taste, so the slightly smaller stage of the Stellia has an advantage over the Verite here (but not claustrophobic @Dynamic).

For people who only know the Bee Gees by their disco songs, this is will be a revelation.

5 Likes

Post post minimalism.

2 Likes

4 Likes