“Now Playing”

Late afternoon chill out a great recording too…

1 Like

April 15, 2022 the

April 15, 2022 the release of Brother Johnny, a tribute to the legendary blues guitarist created by his brother Edgar Winter. The album is a powerful sonic journey, traveling the course of Johnny’s musical life, impeccably directed, as only his brother Edgar could. Joining Edgar on the inclusive project is an impressive array of renowned musicians who knew, or were inspired by Johnny, including: Joe Bonamassa, Doyle Bramhall II, John McFee, Robben Ford, Billy Gibbons, David Grissom, Taylor Hawkins, Warren Haynes, Steve Lukather, Michael McDonald, Keb Mo, Doug Rappoport, Bobby Rush, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Ringo Starr, Derek Trucks, Waddy Wachtel, Joe Walsh, Phil X and Gregg Bissonette. The guitar-driven album celebrates the expansive styles Johnny was known for - the 17 tracks were carefully curated by Edgar and producer Ross Hogarth to represent Johnny’s evolution as an artist, honoring his great legacy while also incorporating a personal tribute from brother to brother, and for which Edgar penned two new songs.

6 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out; I’ll have to give it a listen. I recall a time that “Frankenstein” from Edgar’s “They Only Come Out at Night” album was the track that stereo stores played to show off speakers capable of the drum solo. Of course that had been a live riff/song from years before with Johnny and Edgar playing together. And Johnny’s blues guitar was a soundtrack of high school and college as was Stevie Ray Vaughn and that Clapton guy.

4 Likes

A few of the first tracks are OK, but a lot of the other tracks buy these “guest” are pretty good.

3 Likes

Thanks for this! I never would have sought it out, but I’m damn glad you did and shared. Really, really enjoying :+1:

4 Likes

Super pumped that this album has finally released.

1 Like
4 Likes
2 Likes

I too am just a clean-living all-earth youth. So why does this song go around in my head like an ear worm?

2 Likes

I went to Legs Larry’s wedding party at his house :star_struck:

2 Likes

Not sure if this qualifies as a “Now Playing” post (although I have technically been listening to and literally playing this song), but I thought I’d share this cover I made of one of my favorite Latin Rock songs, “Asilo,” which was written by Uruguayan musician Jorge Drexler. I’ve always loved his song-writing, and it helps me touch-up my rather-confused Spanish :joy:

PS this was my first stab at recording any music, so any feedback or suggestions are highly valued! :smiley:

4 Likes

Very nice. My ear wants to hear it with an acoustic guitar.

1 Like

If I can figure out how to record an acoustic guitar, then maybe some day hehe

Thank you for listening!

1 Like

Nice! What are you running the guitar through?

Thanks for sharing!

The SM58 (I am guessing that is what you are using for vocals, I didn’t really zoom in) actually works pretty well for acoustic guitar.

1 Like

Thank you for checking it out @SenyorC !

The guitar is an ES-335 running through a Wampler Tumnus Pedal (Klon clone), into a Fender '65 Deluxe RI, and it’s mic’d up with a sennheiser e609.

And you are correct, it is an SM58 indeed what I used for vocals! I have both an SM58, and an SM58B.

1 Like

Give the SM58 a try for recording accoustic, you will have to mess around a bit to get the positioning right and avoid feedback, but it can give pretty decent results. Obviously it’s not the best mic for the job but can still get good recordings.

The SM58 is like a leatherman, it may not always be the best tool for the job but damn is it handy :wink:

(I have actually used an SM58 as a hammer in the past :smile: )

2 Likes

Very interesting, didn’t know it was suitable for hammering applications :rofl: I can’t say I’ll try that, but glad to know it’s handy in a pinch hahaha

1 Like

@Chrono - that guy playing looks familiar.

1 Like

1 Like

Was playing that yesterday. Not bad, but nothing like Nightfly Trilogy

1 Like