“Now Playing”

I already have my tickets for Peter Gabriel in Boston and Steve Hackett in New London, CT(15 minutes from home). Going to be a fantastic fall in New England!

3 Likes

Yeah I’m a little jealous of that. :relieved:

1 Like

Hard to believe, but I’ve never thought of listening to this anew since I dove head-first down the audiophile rabbit hole. What a sonic treat!

5 Likes

Ahead of the long-promised Schiit CD transport release, I just downloaded my first DSD file (from Octave Records) to see what all the fuss is about. Intrigued. :thinking:

Fwiw, this album is very competent if not particularly revolutionary modern jazz. It is available streaming in 24/88.2 quality on qobuz, but the difference between the high res FLAC vs DSD256 is as obvious as HD600 vs Utopia.

4 Likes

Not too long ago YT Music introduced The War on Drugs to me in one of its Discovery Mixes.

Became addicted to this band. Now playing:

Put Pink Floyd, The Who and Vangelis in a blender, and there you have it. :smile:

3 Likes

A really special album from one of the most genius producers/composers of our time. I could take you WAY down a rabbit hole about this album and the one that preceded it, This Binary Universe (which you cannot stream anywhere), one of the most groundbreaking albums of the last 20 years that almost no one knows about (for very specific industry reasons). Do yourself a favor - pour yourself a drink, turn off the lights, put on your best headphones, and get lost in BT’s soundscape.

Octave is a very good label. I have 4 SACD’s from them. I cannot complain.

Like you said in an earlier post. Sometimes you can’t believe how much you like certain types of music now that you get to hear it properly by treating your music playback system with seriousness and intent.

One of the best Jazz albums I’ve heard to date is the Carmen Sandim: Mini Brazilian Beasts.

It is my favourite Octave release yet. :smiling_face:
I do recommend it, my friend. :v:

3 Likes

Poetically gifted along with incredible hooks and transitions musically. This is a sonic adventure.

2 Likes

1 Like

I can hardly believe how good their native DSD productions sound in the native DSD256. It’s a whole new level of resolution that I did not expect - talk about sounding “like you are there”. Now if I can just get them to record more artists/albums that I actually like.

p.s. for curiosity’s sake I asked them if I could also get the DSD64 & DSD128 versions of the same album that I bought in DSD256 and they gladly obliged. There is a very definite difference, way more noticeable than compressed vs flac/wav or 44.1 vs 192khz PCM.

2 Likes

The strength behind Octave records sonically is huge. I was talking with Jessica Carson today through email inquiring about them doing a full on metal album. :smiley:
Her answer was that they’d gladly do it but we gotta like the metal band.

Understandable. I’m a patient man.

:facepunch:

1 Like

Together with ISN EST50, sub bass is intoxicating.

4 Likes

Ambient Electronica, masterpiece.

1 Like

I love Aes Dana. Especially this one, Memory Shell, & Leylines

1 Like

It is incredible. Locks you right in and it is well recorded. No loudness war bullshit. :hugs:

Coltrane seems appropriate. #OG Happy Juneteenth! :fist:

7 Likes

Went to see The Flash last night with my boys as a Father’s Day event. It was just “OK”. However I really enjoyed the return of my personal favorite cinematic Batman, Michael Keaton.
In one of the battle scenes, the play the old Batman theme, which lead me to dusting this off (figuratively). It’s so good, and I haven’t heard it in a very long time.

4 Likes

Damn. Haven’t listened to this for so long, but remember growing up with this even on cassette tape.
H–y sh-t this sounds fantastic on my current setup!!

5 Likes

Recommend this album.

2 Likes