“Now Playing”

I’ve looked into finding that Wendy Carlos -A Clockwork Orange before and had since forgotten about it. It was recently on my radar again since Steve Guttenberg had mentioned it a couple weeks ago. I’ve only found it to purchase on Amazon on cd or vinyl….neither of which I have access to on my setup. I’d like to buy a digital copy somewhere. I also need to get a cd player in my setup. Waiting on the Urd, should be here soon.

Heh… just listened to that today!

Oh, can’t settle on just one. Lawrence of Arabia, 2001, Tron Legacy, the first Pirates of the Caribbean, Dances With Wolves, Lion in Winter.

1 Like

Listened to your DUNE soundtrack. Or at least most of it. A bit dark and foreboding for my taste. I would have expected Chani to be lighter. And Gom Jabbar to be a bit more, well, pointed.

I’ve yet to see the new DUNE remake. Read all of the books a few times - they’re my favorite soundtrack.

2 Likes

Those are tracks are indeed from the Dune soundtrack. The album I was referring to is “Dune Sketchbook” though… different music. Though still dark and foreboding. Not only do I really like the music but the production is what’s really catching my eye, uhhh ear.

This will definitely be in my test tracks that I have people check out when they come over to listen (usually my kids). It really highlights the technicalities of the Susvara and the tubes probably add a little extra something too. I’ve liked Jarre’s “Amazonia” binaural album for this same kind of ear candy listening but this one is a different level. Sometimes voices are whispering in my ear other times they sound like they’re coming from outside. Dynamics startle you in parts….

I could rant on and on about specific parts in some of these tracks and the staging, dynamics, imaging, layering, yadada but I’ll sum it up by saying that I find this very immersive and engaging …like a movie for my ears. (That I’ve “watched” repeatedly over the last couple weeks) Maybe my tubes have finally sufficiently burned in? Maybe it’s the addition of the Red and getting my laptop out of the chain? The new cables ? Tube dampers? Combination of all of it? (Maybe my job has taken its toll and I’ve cracked, certainly possible lol) Whatever it is, certain things are sounding crazy good and this is definitely one of them.

3 Likes

What a beast. Sounds incredible. The snap of the snare drums is so addictive. This album is already a classic to me.

4 Likes
  1. Natural BornKillers
  2. Reservoir Dogs
  3. Pulp Fiction
    (Sensing a connection here?)
  4. Back to the Future (because I have a soft spot for Huey Lewis and Johnny B Goode is kick ass)
  5. Literally anything by Hans Zimmer
  6. Literally anything by John Williams
3 Likes

Oooh, tough one. Dune Sketchbook is certainly in the running. I’m particularly fond of “Song of the Sisters”. If you haven’t seen the youtube video about the making of the Dune soundtrack you must watch it immediately, it is BRILLIANT.

Or maybe the entirety of Mr. Robot, because Mac Quayle. :black_heart:

Or maybe How Stella Got Her Groove Back. For old time’s sake. :wink:

3 Likes

This one is a classic to me. I really love the way this album sounds. Extremely melodic with punchy as hell drums. I also now like using this album to audition audio equipment and headphones.

5 Likes

One new album and one new song … funny how the album covers kind of have a similar look. Yet, the music couldn’t differ more. GGP brilliant as always; 30StM finally back again, let’s hope tha album will be as good as the initial track.

1 Like

Ok, we gotta talk about the OST for Sonic Frontiers.
I can’t believe how much this shit slaps!

And on the topic of game OST’s…
I’ve been really enjoying A Hat in Time.

I’m pretty sure Tears of the Kingdom is going to be dominating my playlist pretty soon now too.

1 Like

A classic but the fidelity really holds up.

1 Like

I’m very close to buying a Switch JUST to play this.

1 Like

If you do get a switch, I recommend playing through Breath of The Wild if you haven’t already.

IMO, those two games alone are worth it.

2 Likes

The original Legend Of Zelda was one of the first games I played all the way through when I was a kid. I’ve been interested in Breath of the Wild since it came out, but I’m put off by the requirement to buy a Switch to play it. But with the over the top reviews Tears of the Kingdom is getting I might just bite the bullet and buy the stupid Switch to play it.

4 Likes

Rest In Peace, Legend.

In her golden years Tina Turner became fed up with all of the world’s political bullsh*t, renounced her citizenship, and moved to Switzerland to find peace. I like to think that in the end she found enlightenment. If she would want to be remembered for any one thing, I think it might be this.

5 Likes

When I listened to it the first time, I knew immediately that Phil was playing the drums on Driving The Last Spike. It was seeing an old friend for the first time in a long while.

2 Likes

It’s worth it if your a longtime fanboy like me.
I mentioned in another thread we have 5 switches and 1 switch lite at my house, and due to me passing on my love of LoZ to the next generation, we have 4 copies of Tears of the Kingdom running at my house. Of course the old man can’t run with the young bucks anymore. They’re much further along than I am.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Obscured By Clouds is fantastic, but I submit that Animals is their best album. It’s the soundtrack to Animal Farm, just not part of a movie.

2 Likes

Yes! I felt the same way. The recording itself has a ton of energy and dynamics. You really do feel and hear the impact of the drums, especially the snare hits. Also John. I can’t stress enough how much better the original’1991 recording is than the 2007 remaster. Yikes. The compression elevation really ruined it. I sold that disc pretty quick. Lol.
Anyhow my friend. I’m so glad you appreciate the sonics of this album like I do.
I’m getting the Pathos Aurium probably next week. It is being made to order from Italy and I’m definitely gonna use this Genesis album as a test album. Gonna be fun.