Nuraphone - Thoughts?

Oh Great! My curiosity is getting too ramped up. With the 30 day money-back it’s hard to resist.

Mine will be here on Tuesday. When I get time I will post my initial impression of them.

1 Like

Oh my!!
I couldn’t believe my ears. :scream::scream::scream:

Here goes; When I opened the box I couldn’t get over how well they were packed.
The case they came in could have been award winning.

5aa099cfbce18b00017dedb3__final_section_desktop_2x-p-1080
This is the case and the phones.

I loved how when simply putting them on, a pleasant female voice instructing how to setup. 1st easy way to pair, then to download app, which also easily led into creating ones personal profile. This is where it got tricky for me. I am 68 and have large ears. My wife says ears continue to grow, no matter what age. (I didn’t know that). I was unable to get them into my ear. I was told by the voice that profile did not create. Try again! I tried several times and failed, and it was only when I held my hands tight phones against my ears did it work. These are dependent on being in the ear canals. They never would stay in mine. It was like they weren’t long enough. I will say this may be in large part my review. Moving forward they had setting, with slider bar to indicate what soundstage I preferred. After playing with immersion setting and all, these are my impressions.

Oh yes I am listening with my Fiio X5 ver. 3 and amplifier made by Viet over on head-fi. Ad AKR Audio. Fantastic amp. He designed it to work with my Audeze LCD 2s. I’ll save that for another day. My source audio was all flacs. Music was Donald Fagan " Nightfly" and other cuts. I always find his material very articulate.

That’s were the joy ended for me with these headphones. Sorry @Tony To be honest the joy ended at beautiful magnetic case, entire presentation and easy setup. It was all downhill from there. These are what my ears heard: Very muddied bass no matter where I put the immersion slider. Absolutely no impact. No detail in the midrange, flat in the treble. It was near flat across the entire spectrum. I had to make sure I wasn’t on their original track to compare with one’s profile. As others have said the track they provide for the difference is horrible.
That said I knew I had set it up correctly.

It is now sitting at my door to go back. The 30 day money back was a relief except I will lose the s/h from them and have to pay the return trip. This is net loss $40-50

To those who have really enjoyed these, I hope you will continue to do so. As always we see the world through our eyes, and the sound through our ears. There were what my ears heard. Given this is a relatively new science with headphones, may have something do with it.
I believe the sound that others are happy with have something important to with creating their ideal profile.
Simply put, they are not my cup of tea. I want to add I am not the best at reviewing, but practice makes perfect.

2 Likes

@Carmantom thanks for your review and I’m sorry to hear they didn’t work out for you. Since you mentioned they weren’t fitting properly to your head/ears that will throw off the entire sound signature and the tuning process as well (the mic that does the tuning requires a proper fit/seal and if you were touching the ear cups to achieve a tighter seal that’d throw off the mic’s readings). If nothing else at least your review may help others be aware that the nuraphones may not be a good match for people with larger heads/ears.

1 Like

Going to be honest, not trying to insult you or come across rude but I think it may be your age.

I mean its going to happen to all of us one day but If I look at the Nuraphone explanation properly it needs a response from your eardrums to calibrate correctly, Does anyone think that maybe the age of your ears effects the Nuraphones calibration techniques?

Also make sure there is no wax build up, I know thats a problem for me.

Just curious.

This is where it got tricky for me. I am 68 and have large ears. My wife says ears continue to grow, no matter what age. (I didn’t know that). I was unable to get them into my ear. I was told by the voice that profile did not create "

Hi Michael . I quoted the post I made so you folks would know what I thought it might be. It included what you mentioned about ears, age, etc. I clean my ears regularly and have to go to treats me for balance issues and he goes deeply into the canals. He is treating me for a vesicular disorder which is way inside the ear.

I also indicated that the nodes of the phones which are fixed (no sizes) would not seal into my ears to get the calibration. I held them firmly and forced a calibration. They would never stay in the canals. Actually my audiologist says my ears are in great shape for my age. Only a slight loss in one ear in high frequency.

Honesty counts for a lot. It just so happens that I had an audiologist test my hearing about a month ago. The result was that I can’t hear the upper cycles as well as I used to but for my age, not bad at all so the hearing aid will have to wait. Meanwhile, back to Otello by Verdi and starring Jonas Kaufmann.

No, one’s age will not affect the readings from the nuraphones since they measure otoacoustic emissions which can be measured accurately whether someone is one year old or one hundred. In Carmantom’s case it was more likely due to what he mentioned above: not having a proper fit/seal so the otoacoustic emissions can be recorded properly in the first place and an improper fit will mess up the sound signature even if the calibration did work. The nuraphones use a very sensitive microphone to record otoacoustic emissions and Carmantom was pushing on the ear cups to force the calibration process to complete which would further throw off the OAE readings.

Try listening to any pair of IEMs that aren’t inserted properly to make a good seal and/or a pair of over-ear cans that don’t fit properly and all of them will sound horrible too so the nuraphones are not an exception to this.

Exactly right about the pushing to get seal because it would not stay in at all. I suspect the nodes on the phones that go into the ear were simply not long enough, which prevented any accurate reading. The only reason I mentioned ears was thinking mine might have grown too large in my senior years that they simply would not fit. I’m thinking though it may have not fit as a result of my anatomy in that area. Seems like a awesome idea and might actually be where phones go in the future.

Hopefully this is something the nuraphone creators are aware of and can improve upon in future designs since it’s a shame not everyone can use/enjoy their current offering due to such issues.

I’m not sure that such a complex in-ear/around-ear system can be created without resorting to multiple sizes or a clunky adjustment system. Human/user interfaces are typically designed for users who fall within two standard deviations of the mean (i.e., 95%) not three standard deviations (i.e., 99.7%). For example, most cars cannot comfortably accommodate drivers much shorter than 5’ or taller than 6’6".

Especially with how well you liked them. Especially with the discount they are definitely there in many ways. Setup was so easy, in terms of put them on and they vocally walk you right through. Trust me. I really wanted them to work. Glad you are enjoying them

Absolutely agree.

apologies for assuming the worst!

1 Like

Thanks! No problem . All is cool

1 Like

I would also appreciate your feedback on these. Thanks

I gave my initial impressions above in this thread but have yet to do a full review/write-up.

This isn’t my review but this guy has reviewed quite a few different headphones over the years (including highly regarded ones such as the Sennheiser HD800s) and he’s pretty thorough:

The inner ear bit doesn’t poke into your head though (so you don’t need to clean the wax off) - I have had a pair for about 3 months now, and I blast them to the point where my wife is complaining - anyway, the inner ear part is kind of like sealing your ear canal off with your thumb, the tip just sit right in the canal and the silicon skirt seals it - you wouldn’t think it makes a difference, but it really really does. I absolutely love them now, it takes a few days to get over the strangeness of inner ear that isn’t really in your ear + the deep vibration feedback from the bass.

2 Likes

Interesting reviews… Im veing bombarded with ads by these as well, and the feedback videos seem really OTT so I was presuming it was all marketing hype.

So once you have configured these in the app will they store the settings for good? So for instance you can then plug them into other devices and players that aren’t phones? The fact they can be wireless or wired is really appealing. If you’re using them wired do they still need to be charged regularly?