Off Topic: Coffee

A quick PSA:

If you are passionate about things that interest you, or bring you pleasure, and have the kind of obsessive, detail-oriented, near-nervosa-level driven mentality that leads to owning/trying multiple headphones, DACs and amps …

… do NOT get involved in coffee.

While it is a much less expensive hobby than audio … it has more variables …

I say that, and I’m only 30 days in …

For nearly five decades … I liked my coffee deep, rich, strong and black. I was never able to tolerate the battery-acid and burnt-tires “flavor” of Starbuck’s “Pike Place Roast” (despite living a 5 minute walk from store 001 and Pike Place Market, for 4 years or so), I just liked darker roasts and the mouthfeel of a bit more of the coffee oils in my brew.

I still enjoy that.

And in an entirely non-purist fashion, I really enjoy Café du Monde’s “Coffee & Chicory” concoction (especially with fresh Beignets) … at a whole $7.64 for a 15 oz can).

But 30 days after buying an Ember 2, and reading a couple of articles on ideal coffee temperature, and then following a few links …

I’m hooked.

And it’s not even the caffeine …

So many precise, fiddly, variables and minutiae … the water’s mineral composition, grind size, brew temperature, bloom durations, timing, pulse-pours, swirls, stirs, ratios, filter materials (and rinsing), brewer/carafe/cup temperature … and that’s before we even get to the equipment/tools …

Loving it … but my word there are a LOT of very deep rabbit holes here!

13 Likes