RAAL-requisite SR1a - Earfield™ Monitor/Headphone - Official Thread

Fascinated by these, but the more I read about them the more I’m wondering if it makes sense to compare them to other headphones at all.

I’ve been auditioning a bunch of studio monitors lately, and have fallen in love with the imaging and presence that can come from “big” speakers moving air around.

For the cost of these RAAL’s, you’re in rarefied air in studio monitors (top-end Focals or Genelecs) with budget left for room-treatment.

Anyone done a comparison of these with monitors in a similar price range?

2 Likes

There’s more to them than performance-per-dollar.

The SR1a still have the advantage of being able to used in situations where speakers aren’t viable. They might leak sound like a sieve, but an 85 dB listening level with the SR1a is still much less intrusive on ones environment (and surroundings) than any speaker played at the same effective (at the ear) playback level.

1 Like

Sure. I’m just wondering if because they are (at least marketed as) a kind of headphone/monitor hybrid that combines the benefits of both-- they shouldn’t be compared against both.

P.S. – I hope you’re not doing a lot of listening at 85db. There is a shortage of perfect ears in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours. :wink:

2 Likes

While I like headphones, I could use some new speakers. I’m partial to planars. The Magnepan 3.7i is very tempting. So are some other things I see once in a while on Audiogon. $4G for some lightly used QUAD 2905’s. I’ve listened to those speakers fairly extensively, and really love their sound. Same drawback to them as to the Maggies - cloth grille to the floor, and I have a cat. Slightly higher price, some used Martin Logan CLX’s that are much more cat-proof. Please open a topic elsewhere and start discussing what you like in speakers. All those small monitors sound good in a small room, but I like something bigger for the living room which is 13 x 25 ft with an open end to entry, then dining.

3 Likes

Thanks very much for an intelligent reply! I don’t see a specification for slew rate for the Logos, and the Damping factor of 380 looks like a good number, but then I see the Benchmark specs and find there is more to the story - as there usually is - it seems damping factor decreases as frequency increases. (Although, maybe it is A LOT harder to exercise control over low frequency sounds?)

Benchmark AHB2 DAMPING FACTOR

• 350 at 20 Hz, 8-Ohms
  • 254 at 1 kHz, 8-Ohms
  • 34 at 20 kHz, 8-Ohms
  • 7 at 200 kHz, 8-Ohms

The Logos integrated amp incorporates a solid state amplifier; will tubes in the pre-amp section necessarily affect damping factors and slew rates?
Also, I never could find specs for crosstalk or slew rates for the Logos, did you?

3 Likes

Anybody try listening to binaural recordings with the SR1A? What’s it like? That’s probably the closest you could get to a “live” or non-headphones experience, if I had to bet…

4 Likes

Yes, and with good ones it’s a very vivid stage with proper depth and location that’s projected.

Dr. Chesky’s Amazing Binaural Sound Show (incomplete title … don’t have it to hand (traveling) was extremely impressive.

For some reason I think I talked about it earlier in the thread. Too little oxygen and almost too much fun to be very coherent.

6 Likes

Hello and welcome @electrokardiogram. I bet it would be some experience. One day I would love to hear one myself.

1 Like

Schiit showed off the prototype Jotunheim R direct drive amp for the RAAL SR1a at RMAF 2019. A one box DAC/amp (no interface box required) for the SR1a looks like it may make it into production. Notes on the poster say production version will have “switchable baffle compensation” and “Estimated Shipping End 2019 | Estimated Price $999 With Multibit DAC”.

5 Likes

Damn, if it is that price…it is way under what I was expecting to pay! Noice!!! I’ve been following Jason’s thread on head-fi for tidbits about it…looks like I’ll be getting Schiity with it here in the future :wink:

I’m probably going to be getting the new Bifrost, The Freya+ (once it comes in black) and this Jotunheim R when it drops =) two are for the RAAL definitively the other (Bifrost) for multiple chains =)

1 Like

Like this? I have one sitting over there all lonely in its original box, waiting for either my caving in to the SR1a or for an SR1a fan to ask me nicely…

1 Like

Apologies that this took awhile - Sascha Flocken just replied that Bastian Neu has no concerns and thinks that this should work in best harmony.
(He didn‘t add that, but I think it‘s safe to assume that this still is at your own risk, as not officially/publicly approved)

4 Likes

No need for apologies. Once again, thanks for reaching out to SPL!

3 Likes

Fellow Raalers, I’ve been very much enjoying the SR1a and I’ve also concluded that they’re the most resolving and the best headphones I’ve ever heard to date…the details about how I came to that conclusion will be shared on another post. On this post, I would like to share my experience and lessons learned regarding the power requirements for the SR1a.

As most of you are aware, I’ve been driving the SR1a with a single SPL Performer s800 power amp (rated at 185W into 8 ohm / 285W into 4 ohm) and it did a phenomenal job unleashing the dynamics and low end response from the SR1a effortlessly. My normal listening SPL is around 70-85 dBU and I occasionally crank up to a little over 90 dBu for short periods of time. Last night I was listening to a few sub bass and bass heavy tracks such as Starlight by Jai Wold (Goldroom Remix), Exodus by Shai TTokyo Drift by PedroDJDaddy, No Harm is Done (ft Tunji Ige) by Christine and the Queens, Waiting in Vain (Boddhi Satva Afriki Soul Remix) by Groove Cartell, Maya Roze, Flip by Glass Animals… and on my attempt to crank up the volume, I heard both ribbons rattling severely hard with the volume at around 48% and I immediately lowered it.

I’ve reported the “incident” to RAAL-Requisite and both Danny & Aleksandar (the design and lead engineer) immediately got back to me. Below is Aleksandar’s explanation about the effects of too much power on the ribbon excursion levels that could potentially loosen them, thus reducing its longevity:

Well, the amp you’re using has a bit too much power, and the tracks were bass heavy, so when you add those two together, the ribbons will get stretched and start flapping sooner than they used to, that’s all.

Initially, I rated the headphones to 100W/8 Ohm amplifiers, encompassing all kinds of music.

Later on, we extended the rating to up to 150W for listeners of Classical music and acoustical Jazz.

For example, 150W will make the ribbon excursion 22% greater than 100W and 185W will make 36% more excursion than 100W.

With 185W/8 Ohms that you have now, I think it is too optimistic to expect nothing will go wrong with modern production on bass-heavy music.

That kind of music demands a lot of ribbon excursion and overshooting the design goal by 36% is quite a lot for the mechanics of the ribbon.

The trouble is that no matter how briefly it was cranked up, like just a fraction of a second, the ribbons will get overdriven and start loosing the original tension.

Basically, even though the bass on SR1a sounds really nice, they will never be the bass-champs in terms of SPL, so the only thing I can advise is caution with volume knob on such tracks.

I could have designed a built-in safety feature, increasing the acoustical resistance in the vicinity of the ribbon that reduces ribbon excursion when ribbon velocity increases, but in it’s essence, it would be just a dynamic compressor and the sound will become dull and dynamically flat.

So, this sensitivity to excursion, meaning volume and power, is a deliberate choice for the sake of making the dynamics sounds natural as there was no other way to do it.

To me, it’s a no brainer. I’m just cautious with my volume knob and that’s a small price to pay for the sense of unbridled dynamics.

I like my AHB2 a lot, and aside from the sound, I really appreciate it’s clip indicators. They are faster than what I can audibly perceive, but I never let them light up. That’s just an easy way for me to always be on the safe side.

You don’t really need to change the amplifier, but If you could make, or buy, a clip indicator that would be set to trigger at 42Vpeak, you’d always be aware of the power limits that I originally set and the ribbons will last you for a long, long time.

Trust me, I know 200W is a lot of fun, but I couldn’t make the best balance between all the engineering aspects of it, to say that I’m safe over 100W, so if you can live with that, I couldn’t be happier and I hope you will enjoy them for a very long time!”

As you can see, the SPL Performer s800 at full power will overdrive the ribbons causing up to 36% excursion over the design goal (@100W) which is a bit of a stretch and will most likely loosen and potentially damage them regardless of the “exposure time” to such power. My key takeaways to preserve the longevity of the ribbons are to be cautious with the volume knob if you have an amplifier rated above the recommended 100W specially when listening to bass heavy tracks and to add a clip indicator (not sure how to do that as of now) and set it to trigger at 42Vpeak as recommended by Alex so that you’re aware of the power limits that he set to avoid overdriving the SR1a.

That’s all I had…now I’m going back to listen to the SR1a….

13 Likes

I learned yesterday that the “a” on the SR1a stands for first iteration - so there’s hope for an SR1b or SR2a if they drastically change the design…only time will tell!

5 Likes

Just recently received my Raal SR1a ear-field monitors, and I am very pleased.

Using a Roon Nucleus through a dCS Bartok DAC/amp to an SPL s800 stereo amplifier. This provides plenty of oomph, which these need.

I’ve had many headphones previously, including AKG K1000s driven by a First Watt F1 amp, and STAX SR009s driven by a Blue Hawaii Special Edition.

The SR1a ear field monitors IMHO put both of those TOTL rigs to shame. I am going back to re-listen to my entire collection. Each track is a brand new experience, and hirez streaming from Qobuz and Tidal is delicious.

Best of all, this combination is non-fatiguing. I can listen for hours on end, totally immersed in the music (jazz, classical, soundtracks). I have spent a lot of evenings listening to live music in the clubs and concert halls.

This combination comes very close to the live experience. Nirvana

8 Likes

Thanks. I have the SPL Performer s800 as well. I will be careful not to crank it up too high, but I can understand the urge. The music delivery is so pure and non-fatiguing that it is tempting.

1 Like

Welcome. Glad you like your Raal SR1a’s so much. If you ever decide that those STAX are nothing but chopped liver . . . well, let me know. Although you probably sold them and the Blue Hawaii to pay for your current setup.

1 Like

Welcome. Glad to here you’re enjoying your new Raal’s. I must say, I’m really interested on your impressions of the Bartok. That’s a gorgeous unit.

Hello and welcome @tmarshl.