Rock/Metal music discussion

@generic - also the ancient Egyptians got the name (joking) from this 1970s show that aired with the Saturday morning cartoons and alongside Shazam!.

1 Like

yes it’s a bit unfortunate really under the current climate. Sadly the band have now called it a day but used the name Celestial (after their early album) when they did a reunion show.

Oceanic is a pretty stunning album though, imo, of course.

1 Like

Some great complex, technical thrash metal from the late 80s

Of the 3 artists below, which is your favorite?
  • Staind
  • Limp Bizkit
  • Disturbed

0 voters

Personally, my favorite of those 3 is Staind (and the first 3 Staind albums, Tormented, Dysfunction, and Break The Cycle) are my favorite!

Which of these Staind albums is the best in your opinion?
  • Tormented
  • Dysfunction
  • Break The Cycle
  • 14 Shades Of Grey
  • Chapter V
  • Chapter V (Limited Edition)
  • The Illusion Of Progress
  • Staind
  • Staind (special edition)

0 voters

Noteable Staind Songs/Albums

Staind - Tormented (Full Album, Ripped Right Off The CD) - YouTube
Staind - Dysfunction FULL ALBUM - YouTube
Staind - Break the Cycle (Full Album) - YouTube
Intro - YouTube
Staind - Blow Away - YouTube
Staind - Cross to Bear - YouTube
Staind - Let It Out - YouTube
Staind - "Paper Jesus" (Chapter V) - YouTube
Staind-The King of All Excuses Lyrics - YouTube
Staind - Novocaine - YouTube

From Limp Bizkit, my favorite album is “Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water”

Which of these Limp Bizkit albums is your favorite?
  • Mental Aquaducts
  • Three Dollar Bill Y’all
  • Significant Other
  • Significant Other (special edition)
  • Significant Demos In Hell
  • Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water
  • New Old Songs
  • Results May Vary
  • Greatest Hitz
  • The Unquestionable Truth (Part 1)
  • Rock Im Park 2001
  • Collected
  • The Unquestionable Truth (Part 2)
  • Icon
  • Still Sucks

0 voters

Noteable Limp Bizkit songs

Limp Bizkit - Break Stuff - YouTube
Limp Bizkit - It'll Be OK [TA] - YouTube
02 Limp Bizkit-Hot Dog - YouTube

And Disturbed: I don’t listen to them much (though I do listen to a few songs, however, I won’t create a poll vote on them, or mention any notable songs)!

Just moved your post to this thread to keep all related discussion in one place :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve been rediscovering my love of 80’s rock and hair metal bands watching Peacemaker on HBO, and also discovering new bands who are carrying that hair metal banner into the the current century.

My favorite rock song right now is “Do Ya Wanna Taste It” by Wig Wam, used for the Peacemaker opening credits. I probably wouldn’t have liked it as much if the opening credits weren’t so hilarious but the two are now intertwined in my brain.

2 Likes

@innox Regarding the poll vote I made 13 days ago

Well hell yes! The first 3 staind albums are the best (but they have some good albums after that!)

Also, when your grammar checker doesn’t know good music

@PaisleyUnderground I wish you lived nearby. Reading your posts sounds like we have a lot in common in terms of approach and likes.

I recently acquired and have been listening to the 24/192 remaster of Queensrÿche’s album Empire.

Love that song Empire when I was a kid. “He has an AK-47 as his best friend… He’s building empire “

2 Likes

Thanks, it was nice of you to say that. You gave me a yearning for some Queensrÿche, so I’m currently playing one of my all time favorite albums of any genre, Operation: Mindcrime.

2 Likes

Oh yea, I forgot about this album. Always liked their theatrical spoken openings to some of their tracks like “I Remember” from the above Mindcrime.

2 Likes

3 Likes

This on the Atticus is epic!

8 Likes

9 Likes

Ah one of my all time favorite albums! The first four Metallica albums are all so good even after 20+ years of listening to them, I still struggle to find something as good, let alone better.

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, the fact that a band hit four albums from the off so good is some achievement. They haven’t aged at all and still sound excellent.

Along with these you had the, for me, 3 albums, from Megadeth (Peace Sells…, So far… and Rust in Peace) and from Slayer (Reign, South of Heaven, Seasons) all from my mid teens to late teens, such fantastic music from a genre that was really just taking off back then. All these albums still get played regularly.

4 Likes

haha yep that was pretty much my teenage playlist as well. I swear I probably listened to Reign in Blood exclusively for months, I was so floored by it. Add some Anthrax and Morbid Angel for variety, and a bit of Nuclear Assault for fun. Testament, Overkill, and Kreator were “experimental” listening haha. i went through a phase where all i wanted to listen to was the solo from Holy Wars. this was pre-cd, so I would rewind my tape, knowing exactly how long to let it run before playing, just to get the solo in. in my old age i’ve mellowed out and will listen to just about anything now, but man if anyone today could make something remotely approaching the quality of the old thrash era i’d be all over it.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting The Absence! I’ve never heard them before, but am really enjoying it. They have some great riffs! I like the drummer, he remind me a bit of Paul Bostaph when he was with Slayer.

2 Likes

pretty much the same for me but add in a bit of Coroner and Voivod.

It was such a good time to listen to this kind of music as it always seemed you found a new great band every week, none of it was on the radio, well very rarely here in the UK and yet another week and oh look I’ve just found this band called Sepultura, and the next week oh look I’ve found this band called Death, and this seemed to happen all the time.

At one time if it came from Florida and Scott Burns produced it or Ed Repka had done the artwork then I had to have it.

Good times.

3 Likes

Oh man I forgot about hearing Sepultura for the first time, talk about mind blown! Death was awesome too. Yeah Sepultura was a constant in my rotation too once i found them. Their first three albums are definitely up there with the best thrash albums. I love the coverart of Beneath the Remains. I wanted to have that cover tattooed so bad. Have you heard Cavalera Conspiracy? The Cavalera brothers from Sepultura did this as a side project. CAVALERA CONSPIRACY - Insane (Official Lyric Video) | Napalm Records - YouTube

Another band I forgot to mention but got a lot of time for me was Exodus. Those dudes could shred with the best of them. I remember when Tempo of the Damned hit, i could not stop playing it for weeks. Just had that damn thing on repeat, over and over and over

2 Likes

@Griffo - since it’s always said they basically dropped Newsted in the mix, maybe this album would be a good test for a system bringing out controlled base detail without getting bloated.

2 Likes