Rupert Neve Designs RNHP Headphone Amplifier

This made me laugh hard. :blush:

5 Likes

I looked at the design (PCB layout) and then concluded I could DIY that. Parts should arrive early Q2’20

It is mostly a 1:1 implementation of Texas Instrument’s design guidelines and reference circuit (TI TPA6120a2 integrated hifi headphone amp). Input stages are done in NE 5532 Op-Amps.
The input switching circuit IMO is overly complicated, a simple 3-way switch would have accomplished the same.

The input filtering of the RNHP is “meh”. So if you run it on the same circuit as your computer or TV, you may want to get a power conditioner like the Palmer Purifier to eliminate buzzing.

4 Likes

This I can concur. I had buzzing/pops in the left Chanel only and through trial and error discovered it was the power.

3 Likes

Does this amp have a typical Class A’ish sound (color-wise)? If a headphone is necessary for the answer, please consider HD600.

Just out of curiosity since I’ve never heard anything than a Magni 3+ and Focusrite headphone jacks. :weary:

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with class A sound characteristics.

I can characterize the sound as being full, articulate, and accurately displaying detail in recordings.

I think a summation would be that it’s very ‘musical’, but that is a vague term. In my use here it means that there is a sense of depth and fullness to notes. There’s a good amount of decay as well that reminds me of that analog-vinyl sound that one hears when playing records (minus static and pops unless it’s being fed dirty power- see posts above).

I hope I’ve helped. :+1:t4:

5 Likes

“Rupert Neve is a f*cking genius!”
-Dave Grohl, Sound City

Credit: Rhodey (@Rhodey)

4 Likes

Palmer Purifier DC Power Conditioner.

I ordered this a few weeks ago from B&H Photo (Special order item from Germany) and it finally arrived last night.

Thanks @MazeFrame for the referral.

The RNHP ships with a 24V switching power supply which works well, but if there’s any line noise present, you’ll hear it.

I have this unit setup in an electronically noisy environment. It’s on an outlet that shares the power strip with other electronics including a television, and a fish tank, so there’s stuff around the creates a lot of ‘noise’. Based on a recommendation (cited above) I decided to try this unit out since I was experiencing line noise on the RNHP.

In short; it’s a definite, and clear improvement.

I went back and forth with tracks I’m very familiar with of differing genres. Whether by beginning a track with/without the Palmer, or pausing the track and then switching back and forth. I did this with several tracks for about two hours this morning.

It brings everything into focus. So much so, that I initially perceived it as a lack of coherence. After listening I realized that it wasn’t incoherence, but greater image separation. Placing musicians and instruments is a much easier task now.

All the detail is still present, but more precisely staged. Though the imaging has improved, I’m not entirely sure how it’s affecting the soundstage (which could be due to the fact that I’m using LCD-X which are narrow in their soundstage, or that it just isn’t affecting soundstage at all).

Bass is more focused as well, with a possibly slight elevation (not boomy or anything, it could be that it’s just more focused but it feels slightly elevated).

Treble remained the same. Sharp, focused, and accurate.

It also brought about a much blacker noise floor. As in dead silent. That’s one of the things that initially stood out, and why I initially questioned whether or not it lost any decay, to which I now believe it didn’t. It’s just a beautifully deep, black background.

My guess without having heard one, is that it brings an RNHP closer to what a Phonitor’s sound is.
A more precise, and focused presentation, with purer sonic accuracy.

Whether or not this is better is really a matter of preference, as it did clean it up which kind of reduced it’s Analog charm (and what I imagine what a tube amp does to some degree).

My advice is to try it out and see if you like it better yourself. It’s only $20 USD, which anyone that owns an RNHP should be able to afford.

For what it’s worth, I’m keeping mine connected.

-Christopher

8 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I’m part time guitar player and one well known trick in that hobby is to purchase a good UPS, which comes with an “energy filter for free” (AC). It does surely help with very low level signals. Paid 3x more though. :wink:

Effects pedals are typically 9V DC (each) and there are a few small amps with DC inlets. Never heard of this specific product. People typically buy power conditioners for that (AC). E.g.: Furman. That will be a few times more the price though.

1 Like

No problem. It’s a pretty versatile little unit, and I’m partial to German products (see my last name). It’s made really well.

I looked at Furman as well, but I think it may have been @pennstac that pointed me to Tripp Lite. They’re made really well (hospital grade) and they cost less than Furman.

Tripp Lite Isobar 8 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip, 12ft Cord, Right-Angle Plug, Metal Lifetime Limited Warranty & Dollar 50,000 Insurance (ISOBAR8ULTRA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000511U7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_YlVAEbVPQYNTH

4 Likes

Probably did. I have a few Tripp Lite products, including this:
https://www.tripplite.com/1200w-120v-power-conditioner-automatic-voltage-regulation-avr-ac-surge-protection-4-outlets~LC1200

Their surge protectors like yours are very good because they don’t burn out like cheap ones after a big spike. I heard about them back in the Byte Magazine days, recommended by Jerry Pournelle, and I think Steve Ciarcia (Circuit Cellar column).

2 Likes

I’ve had this amplifier for 6+ months now and I feel confident I made the right purchase. It’s a great sounding small amp from a person with a long highly respected career in making recording equipment. I’ve tried some before it: Lehmann Rhinelander, Audio-gd NFB 11.28, Marantz CD6006, Audeze Deckard, Cambridge DacMagic 100, Aune X1S & X7, SMSL Sap-9, Beyerdynamic A20, CMOY Altoids Red., & Steinberg ur22mkii. The RNHP sound is clean, sounds flat, no glare, and it can deliver bass accurately and with authority. I connect it to my sacd or vinyl player using mogami rca. I use my RNHP more than a few hours everyday.

5 Likes

Great impressions of a very good Amp.

3 Likes

I haven’t heard nearly as many of the amps as you’ve listed, but I enjoy mine daily as well (I also use Mogami cables).

It’s a fantastic little amp that just does things right. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

It’s awesome! I’m hoping they make one with 2 headphone outputs under the Rupert Neve brand and not the expensive Fidelice version (can’t afford) :sweat_smile: What mogami cable did u get?

2 Likes

I’d love to see a balanced standalone amp.

Mogami Gold.

2 Likes

I used mogami 2964 for the first 4-5 mos and recently upgraded to the 2497 which I found to be a great upgrade for the additional price. I’ve never tried the gold though so can’t compare. the difference in resolution in the cables was subtle yet noticeable on all my headphones but most highlighted in my sony 7520.

2 Likes

What is the next step up amp from the RNHP? I’m interested to know if there is an amp out there that offers a huge significant upgrade from the RNHP in the $500-1.5k range.

That greatly depends on whether you’re talking about the “next step up” being an objective or a subjective upgrade.

If the former, then there are a number of $100 amps that offer much more power and greater fidelity. And then there are all the THX AAA models, and the TCA HPA-1.

If subjectively … Jotunheim, Lyr 3, Mjolnir 2, used iFi Pro iCAN, EC BW, original Ragnarok, used Phonitor E to name a few.

4 Likes

Thanks! that’s a lot of recommendations. Can you narrow it to the best 2 or 3? maybe the 2 that offers a great compliment to the sound of the RNHP and the 1 that beats the RNHP in what makes the RNHP such a great amp.

Again, it depends a lot on whether you’re looking at the upgrade from an objective perspective or a subjective one. Also, I have no idea what it is about the RNHP that makes it great for you. For me, it has its charm, but I think it’s overpriced for what it is and I’d prefer any of the amps on the subjective list above, and would probably go Pro iCAN if I wanted a contrast (and more options) to the RNHP.

4 Likes