Schiit Audio - Bifrost DAC - Official Thread

Am I missing something with how to upgrade my Bifrost 2?

Do I need like a mini adapter for the micro SD card to fit?

No idea. I would call Schiit and ask them to walk you through it. I’m sure they’d be happy to help

1 Like

See here: Firmware | Schiit Audio

Note that the release date was 2+ years ago for the latest firmware.

1 Like

Reviving this thread a bit for a question…

As I go down deeper in the rabbit hole I’ve decided that I probably will be good for a while with my Jotunheim2. If anything I may try out tubes at some point if I want variation.

With that said, I started out my journey with the Modi 3+ and then went on to the Modius. To be honest, still not sure if there was any difference I noticed with my (then) noob ears.

I’ve heard opinions of the BF2 and how it is truly an upgrade. Completely subjective type question I understand, but thoughts on the worth of upgrading the Modius to the BF2? If so, why or even how big a difference have you noticed?

2 Likes

Going from Modi 3+ to Modius could, almost, be considered a lateral upgrade. It is better to move at least 2 tiers above when you are upgrading components.

You did not mention what headphones you use, and what you did not like about your current dac, or what part of its sound characteristics you would like to improve.

Plus, you need a certain amount of experience to be able to compare dacs.

I would go to a Bifrost 2, or a Denafrips Ares II, if i wanted to experience a different type of dac (multibit, r2r) or a used Yggdrasil and be done for a long time, provided your headphones are good enough to notice the difference.

Try to avoid small upgrades!

1 Like

There are separate BF and BF 2 threads. I believe it’s worth upgrading, and posted my impressions here:

My conclusion after owning for a year remains the same. It’s a different experience than many Delta Sigma DACs. My iFi ZenDAC sounds crudely similar but has flatter dynamics and is not as detailed.

1 Like