Schiit Audio - Lyr 3 - Official Thread

Focal Clears and Lyr 3 are a very very nice pairing!

A.

2 Likes

Did you notice the rolled-off highs using all your tubes? When I was comparing the Burson Soloist to the Lyr 3 and Asgard 3 this week, I noticed the flatness of the L3 but the Soloist and L3 didn’t seem to roll-off the treble whereas the A3 did slightly. I’m wondering if my L3 tube (Treasure Globe) allows a little more treble to get through, or maybe the roll-off was there and I just didn’t notice it, which is just as likely. I’m still new to this “critical listening” game.

My Lyr 3 is unplugged right now because I don’t have enough cables to support my amp habit, otherwise I’d listen to it again.

I know we both live in Chicagoland, so when the world is a safer place, I’d be happy to drop the Treasure Globe off if you want to try it.

I know the Clear and Stellia don’t sound the same, but I have to say that the Stellia and Lyr3 are also a very nice pairing.

I found better definition in the highs with the Treasure Globe tube as well. The Sylvania “bad boy” was also good. There was slight roll-off with both the TungSol and the RCA, although as I tried those first, I wasn’t terribly aware of it.

1 Like

Agreed all around on the Treasure Globe in terms of treble and detail. I will also comment that I gave this tube a try as it was my first NOS tube and I I found it as good as the globe with treble and detail but with a bit more soundstage. It was the tube I left in as the winner between the two. FWIW I’m listening with the Empy.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s good to know. The smaller soundstage of the L3/Treasure Globe is quite noticeable when compared to the Soloist and Pendant. I’m OK with it, but if I ever want to try another tube, I’ll look at that one.

I haven’t come close to getting a solid impression of all of my tubes yet, as I bought the Lyr 3 with an 8 tube bundle. I’ve tried 5 so far with my ears just acclimating, so I’m not the best judge yet. Some of them are a tad bright with the Clear, so they may not all be rolled off. I need more testing by musical genre and recording too. And, my tube samples have a different usage history. YMMV.

I USED to live in Chicagoland, but if you want to drive 1,000 miles to meet up, I’m okay with it. :grimacing:

Switched back to the Clear from the AFC today. I often turn down the treble a wee bit on a single-ended amp, and find I prefer that with the Clear too. Good so far.

Mine (part of the bundle) is relatively loose and warm. Stereotypically tubey, but I need more time. I don’t know how many hours are on it.

Haven’t tried mine yet.

1 Like

I have the 5692 RCA, NOS, tests very well. Sounds similar to but slightly better than the TungSol. I have a nostalgia thing for it, living in Lancaster PA near an RCA tube factory, but for me the Treasure Globe is better.

2 Likes

Vinyl sound really gives you the best out of speakers because you can properly hear one of the (few) advantages of the imperfect format: spaciousness.
That said I had to admit that switching from speakers to headphones in listening totally changed my prospective on the medium.
The amount of details that a vinyl can bring to you through headphones is incredible.
I’m a collector and I have something like 10.000 vinyl actually, from classical to jazz, from experimental to IDM.
When I switched to headphones I returned to listen vinyl that was like 10 years I wasn’t touching.
You lose some spaciousness and some warmth too through headphones but you really get into crazy detailed passages that in direct comparisons with master files of one recording I wasn’t able to get.
Anyway stay away from these big, bulky, records: from one to 10.000 it’s been a while :wink:

8 Likes

Just got the Lyr 3 today. I use it with a turntable. The protection circuit trips during static at needle drop every time. That’s right, every time.

Waiting to hear back from Schiit.

7 Likes

That doesn’t seem right, I would contact Schiit ASAP and get it sent back to them. I haven’t had the same issue with my LYR3 with the phono card @Flatbubba sorry to hear you are having trouble Mark :frowning:

5 Likes

They tell me to either downgrade to the Vali. Or swap for new Lyr which I assume will be the same. I’ll swap and try another one.

Also found that the tripping in totally dependent on the volume setting per headphone. If I turn down the volume, no tripping. But it is way too low for my taste with Aryas. If I use the 6xxs then the volume can be lower and not trip the circuit.

Anyone know if the jotunheim 2 has the same trip circuit?

Has the success of the Lyr 3 kiiled off the Mjolnir line? The Mjolnir 2 is no longer offered on the Schiit site, and when I inquired by email, I was informed that it was discontinued. The writer of the message added that “as of this time,” he hadn’t heard of any plans on a Mjolnir 3.

2 Likes

According to Jason, it was actually the Jotunheim 2 that made them reconsider the Mjolnir.

4 Likes

Thanks. I missed that. I’ve always been intrigued by the M2 because I already have a Gumby, which I like a lot. And the form factor that Jason mentions (It’s too big for a desk) is a big reason why I was intrigued. They fit like a glove. Does this mean the Gumby’s days are numbered?
This may be the wrong thread to ask this, but do the Jot 2 and M2 really sound alike? One’s SS and the other’s a hybrid with a lot of discussion about how well it responds to tube rolling.

2 Likes

Most people that have heard both do not seem to feel they sound alike.

Lots of us wondering about Gumby. The middle child does seem to be suffering a bit of neglect.

I have a Jot2 at my desk right now for playing around with, and it’s pretty impressive for what it is. But it doesn’t have a tube stage, and it doesn’t sound like class A to me either.

(very first impressions, it showed up earlier today)

2 Likes

Class A sound may be more likely on the single ended out.

1 Like

will give it a shot. thanks!

1 Like

Yeah I really think Gumby is due for an update. With MJ2 dropped, it’s the only product that sized in the old chassis. Freya+ and the upcoming Urd are in the new style so they probably could gain some manufacturing efficiency by updating it (while doing so also adding a remote, SD firmware updates like BF2, and whatever sonic benefits they can).

I hope it gets updated and not dropped!

1 Like

I agree.

These opinions probably won’t be popular, but…

Valhalla need a refresh, or let it die. Gumby too.

Sol, Loki, the gadget, the transport, etc… That stuff is cool and all, but I see them more as massive efforts detracting the company from innovating what’s in their core wheelhouse. I’m not really excited for these things.

I want better DACs and Pres. Tube only, transformer output coupled amps with something bigger than a 6N1P in it. Something with soundstage. (Please no more hybrid amps unless it’s super drool worthy and unique.)

9 Likes

I want to see a new yggy, not just the new board rolling thing they are doing. They do seem to be expanding all over the place.

3 Likes