Schiit Audio - Official Thread

You’d need a DAC with an optical input to do that. Optical out to the DAC, analog out from the DAC to the Asgard 3.

Ok, gotcha. Thank you! Maybe I’ll give the modius a shot.

That’s really interesting. Does your modi have Unison USB? Maybe you proved that Schiit cracked the USB interface.

But anyway, that wasn’t your point. I sympathize. I think A-B comparisons can be soul destroying, partly it’s mentally tiring to do them over a long period of time, and also because we often come in with hyped up expectations, which means we’re not satisfied unless the improvement is colossal.

Having just paid a sh*t load of money for the Nautilus, I’ve combatted the urge to compare it to my other amps, and instead, I just ask myself “do I like what I’m hearing” instead of what percentage is it better than my XYZ amp and was that incremental improvement worth the several thousands of dollars. Same thing as I’m trying out new NOS tubes.

Do I like what I’m hearing? A resounding yes, I absolutely love it. But a part of me wants to start A-B’ing, and it’s a constant struggle to shut down that urge.

3 Likes

my understanding is the modi multibit got an upgrade but not to the usb, so i am assuming (bad idea) it’s on gen 2. however, i’m also understanding that the pi2aes is higher quality for some reason i don’t understand than hifiberry. and i don’t know that i’m gonna put a lot of thought into it for now. maybe try a coax cable. i think my chain was good to test this out (neurochrome very revealing solid state amp and hd6xx). Maybe mconnect sucks, i dunno

2 Likes

I don’t believe any Modi Multibit unit/version has Unison USB.

I hear you on the struggle. The benefits and burdens of exploring, chasing, selecting, optimizing.

6 Likes

“ Comparison is the thief of joy.”

Overused, but to a certain extent, very true. As I’ve grown older I’ve realised I have both not the time nor the care to go to the trouble I use to.

1 Like

Happiness is wanting what you have, not getting what you want.

-my old man

(This was used often when the old man got a bigger slice of pie)

6 Likes

Try installing Fedora Linux over that pesky Windows implementation :phone: . It may not get rid of the noise, but you could be much happier.

:phone: this is supposed :phone: :phone: to be humor
:phone: :phone: sort of

6 Likes

I just noticed that too. They changed their tag line to “BUILT IN CALIFORNIA AND TEXAS”. I’m not sure whether they are expanding or (actually) fleeing California’s costs and taxes along with many other people and businesses.

4 Likes

In an interview Jason said it was what he called California’s unfriendly business climate. I don’t know any specifics but it seems like a relocation from how he was talking.

Edit: Better info from SnowRang3r and mfadio below.

2 Likes

It’s an expansion. Jason has talked about it at fair bit. He did bring up some concerns of doing business in California but their plan is to move all the smaller devices to Texas and do larger runs of the big products in California. If another lockdown were to happen they’re much more comfortable being in two locations.

I believe even their PCB builder decided to open up shop in Texas next door to them. Some people relocated but those that didn’t want to didn’t need to and no one lost their job in the process.

They mentioned some product runs they’re doing are 8-10x larger than they were doing years ago so they likely really needed the space.

Overall I really like the transparency they provide, it’s nice to see.

4 Likes

Expanding.

“I’m personally looking forward to continuing in both CA and Texas. Texas brings additional complexity, but also opportunity, and it’s valuable to get perspective beyond one place. As I’ve said before, there is good and bad in every place. Focus on the good, and see if you can help with the bad.” Jason Stoddard

7 Likes

My question is what happens when they must “contract” during the next economic downturn. Which location will close? The one handling 90% of their business and able to scale or the other one?

Stepwise changes are common, regardless of the official public line. Test the ice, walk across the ice and set up a new camp, watch the ice melt and retreat becomes impossible.

1 Like

I expect they’ll see how things go in Texas, then if they need to contract, they’ll have a handle on which site is better for manufacturing. Then they will “consolidate services” for a better customer experience. Corporate HQ can still be in California, but the business operate out of Texas

Being an hybrid tube amp the Lyr 2 would work fine with your Arya.
It has to be considered that for tube rolling it will be more expensive in comparison to Lyr 3 but for the price you’re asked you will cover the expense for good tubes.
If it comes from someone you trust I think you won’t regret it.
Good luck and enjoy.

1 Like

Schiit Lokius released

12 Likes

Ordered one, had the mini but it looked silly because of the footprint. This is perfect on top of my DAC/AMP :ok_hand: . Always liked the analog stuff more than tinkering with digital EQ, only problem now is to not be obsessed over tinkering all the time :joy:

1 Like

This is a tough one. The 4 pots of the original manage most of my needs pretty well. I focus on mitigating the issues of bad recordings (this happened a lot between the 1980s and early 2000s). I usually have to either roll off excessive treble or tweak the deep bass.

The Lokius’ 6 pots may involve more tweaking than needed, and what about readjusting them all between setups?

2 Likes

Loki Mini+ had bands in
20Hz, 400Hz, 2kHz, 8kHz

Lokius has bands in
20Hz, 120Hz, 400Hz, 2kHz, 6kHz, 16kHz

The 120Hz band is a fun one for me, the 16kHz couldn’t really care tbh.

11 Likes

I have one on the way! I will share my findings when I receive it. I am most interested in the Loki max for my speaker setup mostly to deal with vinyl and some of my pressings from the 70’s.

7 Likes