Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp and Preamplifier

Early negatives:

1. No Silver
  2. Lower power on SE side (Gee only 2 watts at 32 ohms!! vs 5 watts!!)
  3. Small knob

Positives:

1. $199 great spec, powerful balanced amp with superlative ALPS balanced pot…
  2. Black
  3. Matching small knob
  4. Better switchgear
  5. Designed and built in USA
8 Likes

You guys are freakin jedis! Might it sound similar to what is considered to be Class D compared to Class A, TBD.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

1 Like

Dont think Class D will appear at Schiit anytime soon…as will DSD or MQ support…

2 Likes

Good point and I take no issue, but I also prefer the sound of the Magni 3+ over the Heresy.

1 Like

They are certainly quick at sending their stuff to Amir nowadays :wink:

4 Likes

Its a great time to be in Headphone audio land…so many great toys to play with!!

The stuff is getting close to the extreme laws of physics and measuring…

Time to enjoy the music!!!

:grinning:

5 Likes

Those who seems to place so much faith in his measurements are an ever growing crowd. Well, the apparent accessibility and tangible way of determining ‘quality’ of a component based on his measurements has surely had an impact on the market. Various groups I’m a part of are flooded with nothing but Topping purchases and discussion lately. Reviews and other discussions often reference their gear as comparisons or a baseline.

tl;dr - there’s a crowd for it, so Schiit may as well get word to them that they have high value options available via Schiit

5 Likes

Man, he really liked that fancy ALPS pot. :slight_smile:

I have already read in the other forum the collateral on the SE, about measuring bad and stuff. Hopefully the next Not Because It’s Hard, But Because It’s Easy will be getting rid of that (“noisy”) SE output and replace by a Pentaconn jack. Balanced circuitry is already there anyways.

There’s no question about the balanced capabilities at this price point though. Definitely a plus.

Cheers.

What specifically is measuring “badly” with the SE part???

Pretty sure it’s not a matter of the SE being bad per-se… Amir measures the balanced out at 4V output, which is a lot. I’d suggest taking a look at the much more thorough measurements Schiit provide. It covers a lot more configurations, such as SE/BAL and different output levels.

1 Like

Just read the measurements and notice how the participants reacted. Down below you can actually see it was a design decision. It seems to be a fact. It’s not the end of the world either.

Sorry if I’m not posting links from another forum. :wink:

Happy reading.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply…I read all that over there…

This is an amp that was made to match the Modius in looks and provide a balanced partner. If you wnat stellar SE perf and are into specs for $99 cheaper get the Hersey for SE…BOOM.

The power out for balanced is indeed more for the balanced side…but at 32 ohms the SE is a “measly” 2 watts RMS compared to 5 watts RMS for the balanced side…

WTF over…how many cans need a full 2 watts RMS of power??

To me the SE option is not as “bad” as some state…

This is a world class amp for $199 with full balanced and a “slightly” gimped SE side it you can call it that.

2 watts RMS is not gimped IMO…

Alex

4 Likes

They just GOTTA offer a silver one soonish, right? I mean the Modius is available in silver. I’m so tired of black audio equipment.

3 Likes

Doesn’t look promising. :frowning:

3 Likes
  1. Black is “the new black.” It fits in with everything electronic and is always very popular.

2. Skins are cheap to buy and easy to apply.

3 Likes

Yeah I personally don’t mind it at all, I just kinda feel bad for those who purchased a silver Modius and want to buy the Magnius now too. If they knew up front that the upcoming amp to match the Modius would only be available in black, they probably wouldn’t have purchased a silver Modius in the first place.

3 Likes

I guess it’s the Jot for me, then!

Personally I’d eliminate the black from Schiit’s line. Almost everything else is already black so it would be a distinction from the crowd.

2 Likes

The anodized aluminum is actually really nice on the silver finish. Schiit started updating it when the Bifrost 2 came out. Either that or the new Asgard.

1 Like

I have a silver Modius. And just ordered a Magnius. Two tone, it’ll be ok!

Long term plan isn’t to keep both anyway, but we will see!

5 Likes

Just posted via Jason…I asked if this was a class AB amp …

The decision to take the SE output from one phase of the balanced output (and thus eliminate the distortion cancellation from differential phases) is deliberate:

(a) It is the same thing we do with Jotunheim, Ragnarok 2, Freya S, and Freya+, because listeners have told us they prefer that approach to summed, single-ended outputs (like we have done on some of the the DACs)
(b) Summing adds complexity and cost–we would have to have a separate output stage for SE, in addition to the summing op-amp, so the SE output would end up going through much more circuitry
(c) We were concentrating on making the best balanced amp and preamp we could for an industry-leading price, so this decision is congruent with that approach
(d) If you want superb SE performance, it’s better to build around SE and save $100 with Magni Heresy.

In short, I don’t see anything to “fix.” We made a design decision. We delivered the highest-value measurement-focused balanced amp out there, with by far the best potentiometer of any amp anywhere near its price, and we’re making it in the USA. To us, those are the bragging rights. That doesn’t mean Magnius will be for everyone. Sorry if it doesn’t work for you.

One question I forgot to ask is this a Class AB amp? I am assuming so??

Thanks
Alex
Yep, Class AB.

8 Likes