Sennheiser HD 660S - Official Discussion

Ok, for reals why was my post deleted? I am not associated with any store front, I’m an independent “YouTube” creator… and member of the forum… I was just sharing the video for anyone curious what you all were discussing…

Seems awful contradictory to the above comments…

Edit for clarification* I posted Marcello’s video saying “for anyone curious about what this was about” with a link to his video

2 Likes

Posted in that format on the new thread.

2 Likes

Thanks for the impressions!

1 Like

Thank you for the specific clarification on how to post within the guidelines. Appreciate you!

Nicely done, thank you.

My soft spot for Sennheiser may have me picking up a pair of the HD660S2 … and that’s a point where the only headphones I thought I might add to my collection any time soon would be a set of stabilized/resin ZMF Caldera if/when they exist (I’d do the Red Heart LTD right now … if the rods and grilles were stainless steel).

While I preferred the HD650 and HD600, in that order, over the HD660 - I thought the HD660 was better than most of the early impressions and reviews suggested.

Intrigued.

4 Likes

Can someone explain why they would buy a 650 over a 6xx when there is such a large price difference?

Offhand…maybe…

1. Not aware of Drop
  2. Not located where Drop ships
  3. Don’t like Drop as a vendor
  4. Don’t want create a Drop account
  5. Don’t like the midnight blue color scheme
  6. Shop at traditional retail stores / loyal
  7. Believe for right or wrong that the original is better than the Drop version
  8. Believe the original will have better resale value so it’ll cost the same after sold
1 Like

While I haven’t a/b’d them directly, I’m given to understand that while everyone assumes the 6XX is a rebranded 650, that’s not necessarily true in the actual listening. Neither Drop nor Sennheiser has ever confirmed or denied either way, so YMMV.

When I bought my 660s I knew very little about what I was going into. I had limited experience and was not very happy with the sound these produced connected to my Leak Stereo 130. Starting reading about it and went to a store to try and find a solution, which could’ve ended up with me trading in the 660s for something different. The guy at the store advised against turning the headphones in. “They’re really good”, he said, “but need proper amplification. Don’t be fooled by the 150 ohms tag. They need a dedicated amplifier to sound at their full potential.” Given my budget, he recommended the IF Zen Can Signature, tuned for the 6xx. And boy, what a dramatic change. Suddenly, bass was deeper but still fast, mids where full and highs were so detailed. This is when I really started to get hooked to this hobby. Expensive, but so satisfying. I love my 660s. What a difference good counsel makes.

5 Likes