Sennheiser HD 800 S - Open Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

What adapter can you use with teh HD800s balanced cable to convert to use with 4 pin xlr.

I saw one for $20 on drop.com?

Is this one ok or are there any other recommendations other than buying the Senn 4 pin xlr cable?

Thanks
Alex

I do use the 2.5 to 4PIN XLR by Drop since over a year with my 660s/58x and now with the 6xx
All my IEMs are fitted with 2.5mm TRRS- they work fine with the Drop Adapter
no problems works fine

I can recommend the Venture Electronics
3.5TRRS to XLR
on the homepage you can choose other options

Oidio sound UK made me a custom 3.5TRRS to XLR adapter

all work perfectly fine

2 Likes

I use the drop one also but only really for connecting IEMs.

For the HD6XX I made a cable to miniXLR and then have various miniXLR to XLR4, TRS, etc.

1 Like

I just ordered one of these to try:

Hope it works well…I got a real deal on a HD800s and it should be here next Tuesday!

Alex

2 Likes

Just got the HD800s in house and will post my experience in a few days!! I got a really great deal, a scratch and dent, the original box and case was slightly damaged but the headphones are perfect…saved $700!!

Great deal!!

Alex

7 Likes

Damn!!! That’s a steal!! Online or local? @lost33

Nope dont mind at all…it was from Crutchfield in Virginia…it was a scratch and dent…they have retail and open box and from time to time these scratch and dent offerrings. I was concerned what this meant and I called them and had a nice converstation about what constitutes S+D…with a 60 day return and the Full 2 yr Senn warranty IMO it was worth the risk.

The criteria for S+D was missing the original shippng package, missing any part of the original documentation or cables or connectors, and any physical damage to the packaging. It also could be a minor scratch or dent on the headphone, not driver…in my case the headphones are perfect, the original packaging and box was included as all the original cables. usb key, manual.

What was danaged was the original shipping outer sleeve was slightly torn and they nice big case the headphones are in was slight crushed on a corner…no real impact on the headphones at all.

So it worked out well for me here!

Alex

6 Likes

Wow that is a huge come up! Congrats dude! Can’t wait to hear your impressions they are a pair I have been wanting to hear for some time now.

1 Like

I have a serious buyer for my BH Mainline and am listening with these HD800s with it and comparing to Schiit Jot, the BH Crack and my other amps…so far the Jot seems to have more dynamic slam!! I was surprised.

The amp I really would like is the ECP T4…with 800s this is supposed to be very, very good…as well with the Clears my other joy in listening!

Alex

4 Likes

Great deal Alex. I am sure you’ll enjoy them.

1 Like

Well its day 2 with the HD800s…

Still undecided if I will keep them or not…

60 days to decide!

Finding comapred to Clears they are indeed “thin” sounding, but marvelous wonderful soundstage!

Tried on a dozen amps and really can see differences in most of them…the one that suprised me was the el chepo Burson Audio FUN amp with Bursons discrete V6 Vivids op amps…golly gee this lights up the 800s…totally surprised…

THe BH crack was good, but not as good as the Mainline, which I just sold!! $*&^(%#%^(

The Vahalla 2 and the Jot sound very similar…two totally different designs yet both my friend and I agreed they are so close with these headphones…again a nice surprise here.

The THX AAA from Monoprice is OK as well. Again it makes most headphones come across as sterile listening t me…and all of this depends or can be accentuated depending on the music you listening to and its quality…

Just goes to show the many shades of this crazy pastime…

I wil say the 800s are the most comfortable headphones period…So light…a pleasure to wear for long periods…Make my beloved Clears seem like a tank is on my head!!

Ha!

I have a dozen op amps to try in the little Burson FUN, for “fun”…

Thinking strongly of buying a TUBA from Jim Hagerman…its another great parafeed tube amp with EL84’s…

Later
Alex

Update the real keep it or not acid test is coming up…compare with the Clears…!!

9 Likes

Great initial impressions looking forward to the rest of your impressions!

1 Like

Well the HD800s are on there way back to Crutchfield…I listened for a good part of today with all my stuff and when compared to the Focal Clears It was all over…

The Clears are so tonally acurate and nice, it was a no contest.

The 800s are so good in the soundstage, but the overall tone and musically are just not what I want from a high priced set of headphones.

They to me are just too thin…missing that nice body and fulness, I actually liked the HD600s better…

I be way off base, but even my better half agreed the Clears were just nicer…

I hated to send these back $999…so if your looking for a great deal in the next few days Crutchfield will have another scratch and dent on these I am sure!!

So I am still looking for the step up from the Clears that I can afford…want the tone and the soundstage…

Recommendations!!

Alex

6 Likes

HeddPhone if you don’t have it yet.

2 Likes

Is the HEDD soundstage as open and wide as the HD800S? I have seen so many reviews saying nothing is more open and large of a soundstage as the HD800s but it seems like in order to do that they have compromised the mid range and lower end. I have no idea as I have never heard them. I wonder what headphone has the capability of delivering the wide open soundstage while not giving up the mids and low end?

1 Like

Unfortunately my time with the HeddPhone was only 10 min at CanJam, but man…! Impressive!!! I’m very familiar with the HD800 soundstage and Hedd was almost there , but very superior on speed and slam !!
Again, only 10 min. For my taste the HD800’s soundstage is very welcome with orchestral music, but a little too much for all others .

3 Likes

ZMF VO or VC is as close as I’ve seen to a wide soundstage but overall great sound…the Aeolus beat the Clears for me and is why I sold them…

8 Likes

Darth…thats quite a statement!!

I will have to aududition for sure…dont know if the Community Pragram has that on the list?

If so I will request, but this program seems to have gone to sleep…many requests just not getting answered …if you have a contact with Taron, please tell him several folks out here are wondering if this still is a viable program??

Thanks!
Alex

2 Likes

I don’t think ZMF are in the community program, but @taronlissimore or @andrew can give you a better answer.

Correct, there are no ZMF headphones in the program. I’ll Reach out to Taron to see what he has to say regarding the program

2 Likes